Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2002 6:57:14 AM EDT
Greetings!

I just bought a VERY used Remington 11-87.  I want to build it up to work as a good tactical shotgun that would also work for pins or something else.

Right now I have a 24" vent rib barrel on it.  It's getting a synthetic stock, and a mag extension.

So here's what I would appreciate some help with:

Should I stay with a 5 round tube and get a pistol grip stock or go with a long tube (full length of barrel) and stay with a standard stock?

What kind of sights do you suggest?

Who makes the best side saddle?

What is a "speed chute" and where would I get one?

I'm pretty shotgun ignorant, so please give me a hand.  I shot 20 rounds of slugs through my upland gun recently and just about broke my arm, so the point of this project is to get a gun that will shoot slugs and buckshot in a tactical situation.

Thanks!
Sctrshot
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#1]
If the gun is not preban it's illegal to put an extended tube and a pistol grip. I'm not a pistol grip fan anyway, I think you'd be fine with a standard stock. The vent rib is good. Go with a fiber optic front sight for games or a tritium bead for defence. If you go fiber optic, it needs to mount low like the stock bead to keep from shooting slugs low. Brownell's has easy loaders that replace the loading button and make reloads much easier. Go with Tac Star for the side saddle and Choate fot the magazine extension. If you want to shoot "tactical" or reduced recoil slugs or buckshot the gas ports need to be drilled out to approx .080" unless you have one of the pressure compensated barrels. Deer and turkey barrels are meant for full house magnum loads and will have to be drilled out to shoot anything under 1 1/8 oz, 3 1/4 dram loads.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out Vang Comp:

http://www.vangcomp.com/index.htm

He is the best for tactical shotguns. Has a lot of good info on using auto-loaders for tactial. His mag extension is the best, but I think it is a little overkill unless appearance is important, it is excellent machining.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#3]
The gun is pre-ban.  I'm double checking the serial number with Remington as soon as I get the time.

Should I cut the barrel or stay with a 24"?

Thanks for the feedback!
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I should add that the whole point of this is some defense, a lot of IDPA-style side matches at the local gun club, and generally looking REALLY SCARY since I don't have a truly "beautyfully evil" looking gun yet.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Should I cut the barrel or stay with a 24"?

I'd replace it with a shorter barrel. This will allow you to keep the screw in Rem chokes, a distinct versatility advantage. 24" barrel is a bit long for a combat SG, it will work though. Mine has the 21" vent rib, Rem choke turkey barrel and performs well.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Should I stay with a 5 round tube and get a pistol grip stock or go with a long tube (full length of barrel) and stay with a standard stock?

Extended tube w/ 21" barrel (that is if you like remchokes)

Stock, Davis Speedfeed

What kind of sights do you suggest?

Wilson Tritium Peep Sights

Who makes the best side saddle?

Tac Star

What is a "speed chute" and where would I get one?

Junk, I would stay away, never could get mine to work properly

Also get the Jumbo Safety, I think Wilson carries them, they are wonderful

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Great advice, thanks!

I noticed that the 21" barrels advertised on Cabela's web site don't have a "pressure compensating gas system" (whatever that is!).  Is that why I would have to open the gas ports to .080 so it will function with light loads?  Would that affect the life of the gun if I started shooting heavy loads?

I think I will go ahead and replace the barrel and hang onto the 24" for shooting pins or hunting.

The gun is also missing a lot of finish - would cold blue be an acceptable solution for now?  I don't want to pay to get it parkerized until I have it set up the way I want it.  

Oh, one more thought - how do the side saddles attach to the gun?  Through the pin holes in the receiver or will I have to drill and tap the receiver?

Thanks again!

Sctrshot
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:58:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I put one of these on my 1187 www.cdnninvestments.com/rem1112rifsi.html

,pistol grip stock and a mag Ext.

It runs great.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Cymymud, that's perfect.  A great deal as well.  They also have the speed feed III stock that I have my eye on.  Remington confirmed that the gun was built in the late 80's, so I'm good to go.

Thanks!

Sctrshot out!
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I think I will go ahead and replace the barrel and hang onto the 24" for shooting pins or hunting.

Nothing wrong with that, I do alot of bird hunting with my 21"/full choke.  I have grown to like it alot better than a 28"/Modified.  

The gun is also missing a lot of finish - would cold blue be an acceptable solution for now?  I don't want to pay to get it parkerized until I have it set up the way I want it.

Spray paint the thing with a flat black enamel primer, that is what I did with my old beater.  Doesn't look too bad and has never rusted.  I baked the enamel on.

Oh, one more thought - how do the side saddles attach to the gun?  Through the pin holes in the receiver or will I have to drill and tap the receiver?

Just replace pins w/ the screws and you are good to go.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top