Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2002 9:27:27 PM EDT
Not trying to get argument of which is best or worse. Buddy of mine said there is more 22-250's out in the varmit world than 223's. Turned into a pretty good fuss. Anyone got some real numbers to back me up. HELP
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not have any hard numbers for you, just what I have assessed through the years.

With the gaining popularity of the AR's in competition shooting and in the civilian world
over the past 2 decades I would find it hard to believe that there is more 22-250's out there.
I would have to say at one time there was more 22-250's in the varmit world (eg. through the 1970's). I personally think the most popular centerfire varmint rifle through the years has been the .222.

Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:09:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't believe there is any way to quantify the numbers in the "varmint world" as I know of no precise, universally used definition of the varmint world.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:24:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the .22-250 as a varmint cartridge. The extra 400-500 ft/sec. make for a flatter shooting cartridge. Of course the .223 fires the exact same bullet as the .22-250, only slower.

I've never really worried about what is more popular as what let all "those" people to the popular choice might not be what drives my logic.

Amost half the population of the United States has below average IQ's - they make up a large portion of that popular choice.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Based on the calibers I see varmit rifles in, I'd have to vote on 22-250. Many years ago it used to be .220 Swift but we all know that story.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I tried to find a listing of the most popular reloading dies as an indicator of which was more popular but didn't have any luck.

As a varminter I would bet that the 22-250 is more popular but not by much. I decided on a .223 based on brass and the advice offered by Highpower shooters.

What story should we know about the 220 Swift Bob? I think it's a great cartridge and with the advent of Moly some of the original problems can be overcome.

I think the 22BR is better but the Swift is not inherently flawed if that is what you were trying to say. Please advise.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 5:10:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought about the dies but didn't have time to dig through all the stacks of gun mags I have. I want to hear about the Swift also, my friend was thinking about geting one before he decided on the 22-250.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What story should we know about the 220 Swift Bob? I think it's a great cartridge and with the advent of Moly some of the original problems can be overcome.

I think the 22BR is better but the Swift is not inherently flawed if that is what you were trying to say. Please advise.

The .220 Swift has had a well deserved rep for burning up/out barrels. Some shooters have claimed a barrel life of only a few hundred rds using factory ammo.

Without actually knowing myelf, I'd bet that the .220 Swift caliber is the lowest/slowest selling caliber of any of the standard calibers of all mfgrs that make a variety: Remington, Browning, Ruger, Sako, Weatherby, etc. etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top