Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2002 6:53:26 AM EDT
As a rank AR-15 newbie, the members here have been most helpful in my coming up to speed as to the care & feeding of my rifle. My thanks to all who have given valuable tips based on their experience.

My latest question has to do with the practical function of the forward assist. I heard someone on the board refer to this as the "appendix" of the AR-15 since its function is no longer needed. I have not had occasion to use it in the 3 short months I've had the rifle and was wondering what experiences the "old salty dogs" from the board have had (only forward assist issues, please!). I'd be interested in hearing about situations and conditions where the forward assist was used in order for the rifle to function.

TIA...JJ
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Consider this; The forward assist allows you you force a round into the chamber that will not go in on it's own. In my opinion that is a bad idea. It begs the question "why won't this round go into the chamber?" Their are a number of possibilities. Forcing a round into the chamber and then pulling the trigger can have several results only one of which is good. The only practical use of the forward assist that I can think of is if you want load the weapon in a slightly more quiet manner than just letting the bolt seat under the buffer spring pressure. Keeping hold of the charging handle as you load the weapon and then using the forward assist to seat the bolt. Opinions may vary and this one is mine. For the most part and for the casual shooter the forward assist is unnecessary.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 7:47:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Also so used to "press checks" where you open the bolt enough to see brass, then release the charging handle, this will not give enought inertia to send the bolt completely home, so you use the FA toclose the bolt.  It beats looking like an idiot when, after instruction, you go to the line only to find your weapon empty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top