Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2002 6:08:08 AM EDT
I have been getting failures to eject since I got my new bushy, about 1 out of 35 will not eject.It will extract the case but not eject clean,the bolt picks up the next round and tries to shove them both into the chamber.I tryed two mags and fed,win,and black hills ammo.I took every thing apart(ejector,extracer)and cleaned it,but nothing helps.I called bushmaster and the only thing left to do is send it back.I put in a JP enterprise trigger,nice 3 1/2 pound break but now  I'm getting failures to fire with black hills ammo.Not enough spring tension.I put on a leupold/gilmore red dot sight it's out of adjustment and still shooting 8 in.to the right at 50yds.This would be a very nice gun if everything worked but nothing does!Should I keep the gun or junk it.I'm going to take it back to the dealer next week.Anyone have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:21:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Fix it and get a complete rundown on what the problem was so you'll have 100% confidence in it when you get it back.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have the JP speed hammer trash it.  Make sure the hammer has enough mass as stock to hit the primer hard enough.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you using the 10 round mags that came with the bushmaster?  If so, they are absolute crap.  Get some preban 20 or 30 rounders, and everything will feed just fine.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes I still have the factory hammer in.I just swapped out the JP hammer spring and put the factory spring back in and reset everything.It brakes clean out 4 1/4 lbs.That should take care of the missfires shouldn't it? I have used both the factory and preban 20rd mags and had ejection problems with both.What is wrong with the factory mags? Why do they sell a gun with junk mags! I paid $950 for a gun I should not have to replace everything just to get it to work!I hate to say it but I think everything made in the USA is junk.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#5]
You should have bought an Armalite

Really, you should send it to Bushmaster and have them fix it, they should get it done pronto. I have never heard anything bad about their customer/warranty service.

dave
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes I still have the factory hammer in.I just swapped out the JP hammer spring and put the factory spring back in and reset everything.It brakes clean out 4 1/4 lbs.That should take care of the missfires shouldn't it? I have used both the factory and preban 20rd mags and had ejection problems with both.What is wrong with the factory mags? Why do they sell a gun with junk mags! I paid $950 for a gun I should not have to replace everything just to get it to work!I hate to say it but I think everything made in the USA is junk.

The 10 round mags that companies ship are not "factory magazines".  They are what the manufacturer can get a hold of.  What 20 round preban were you using?  What manufacturer.  Should be easy to look at the bottom of the mag.  I have seen magazines cause all kinds of feed problems.

If you are having all these problems, why don't you bring the rifle back to the FFL you bought it from and get a different one?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I noticed you didnt say feed problems, so I will say its not a mag problem.  You cleaned the ejector and extractor.  Did you check spring condition?  Any wear?  If its a new gun, send it back, if used, check these closely.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I noticed you didnt say feed problems, so I will say its not a mag problem.  You cleaned the ejector and extractor.  Did you check spring condition?  Any wear?  If its a new gun, send it back, if used, check these closely.

I've had double feed problems with the 10 round bushy mags in the past.  The first round fires, doesn't get ejected properly and the rifle picks up another round and tries to jam both into the chamber.  If you can recreate the problem, try firing the round that causes the problem without a mag in.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I paid $950 for a gun I should not have to replace everything just to get it to work!

Get your rifle back to stock and solve one problem at a time. Can you try a different bolt?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I hate to say it but I think everything made in the USA is junk.

Great!  Then you will be up for trading your American piece of junk for my wonderful Chinese SKS.  Email me with your address so we can get this trade going.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#11]
my 2 cents........

if you have had this problem from the git go then my guess is the buffer spring is a bit too stiff, i belive your rifles failure to eject cleanly, possibly is due to the bolt carrier not being blown far enuff back.., did you have the stock loose ? or off ?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had major problems with my CMP Bushmaster. First it was a bad ejector that required me to send it back to Bushmaster twice! I also had problems zeroing the sights and it is back to the factory a third time. It's been 7 weeks now. The last time they replaced the barrel! I think Bushmaster is having major quality control problems.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I had the same problem with my Bushmaster. I took it out to the range right after getting it and had 3 or 4 out of maybe 30 or 40 rounds fail to eject. I brought it home cleaned and lubed it with Break Free CLP and have not had a problem with it since.  Not an advertisement for Break Free, but it helped in my case.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#14]
The gun was brand new.USGI 20dr mag.The springs on both ejector and extractor seem good.Never had the stock off.I don't have another bolt to try.I would never trade this gun for something made in China.I was thinking more German,never even had a jam in my HK or Sig handguns.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The gun was brand new.USGI 20dr mag.The springs on both ejector and extractor seem good.Never had the stock off.I don't have another bolt to try.I would never trade this gun for something made in China.I was thinking more German,never even had a jam in my HK or Sig handguns.

I've never had a jam in my AR either.  I'm sure if you hung out on a HK board you would hear about them jamming.  Just get it fixed and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Kane1,
How many rds. do you have thru it? I had the exact problem with a Bushmaster post ban M4 I got from Gunsmoke. It just went away after I had put 250 rds thru it. I now have over 1100 rds thru it and it has never done that again. Maybe you just have to break it in.

Later,

Exnavarm
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#17]

JP guarantees ignition on all US primed ammo. I have found this to be true with all the ammo I've ever loaded with US primers and used. I have no problem shooting Wolf 9mm or 7.62X39 in uppers chambered for those cals on a lower with a JP firecontrol. However, it won't ignite SA Milsurp.

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
 However, it won't ignite SA Milsurp.

In .223?  So far I haven't found anything that the JP Speed Hammer won't light-up.  I fired about 150 rounds of SA M1A3 ball last weekend with no failures.

I haven't tried the LC XM193 yet.  That's next.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I use break free.I have about 200 rds through it.I have been looking at AR's for the last year and bushmaster seemed to have a very good rep that's why I went with them.Hunting and guns are my only expensive hobbies but work is slow,layoff are rumered and I have got $1300 in a gun that jams.This sucks!
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Cactus Jack hit this one..  If it's the buffer spring, it will go away...   This is a great way to find out and it's free...  The day before you go to shoot, leave the action open overnight and don't close it until you are ready to shoot...   This should relax the spring tension enough to allow it to work properly...   Like breakin' in a new pair of good shoes...  If this works, keep doin' it until you forget..  By then it should be broken in...   Worked for me...
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Kane1

I would field strip it, clean it completely, lube it up with CLP, like you are using, and shoot another 200-250 rds thru that puppy if you can. This is, I think the least expensive way to find out if it will work. I would do this first instead of sending it back right away. I was going to send mine back before I tried this as a last attempt, I'm glad I did it and didn't have to go thru the trouble of sending it back and worse, waiting for it to come back!!

Later,

Exnavarm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top