Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/16/2002 3:52:58 PM EDT
Yep, my M1 bit me today.

I was showing it to a friend of mine and opened the action before handing the rifle to him. After he was done looking, I went to close the action, and WHAP!!! Didn't get my thumb out of the way of the closing bolt. OUCH!!!

It cracked my thumbnail down past the quick and gave me a small cut just below where the thumbnail starts.

Anybody else done this?
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:35:54 PM EDT
nope
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:45:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:50:55 PM EDT
Yes, until I was shown the correct method of dropping the bolt on an empty Garand. Right hand, fingers extended..Put the ridge of the hand against the op rod handle, press rearward.Depress the follower with the thumb, then allow the op rod to travel forward under full control,retracting your thumb as the bolt carries over the follower.

Letting it go forward snappily looks great if you're practicing the "manual", but for most circumstances let er down slow..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:27:25 PM EDT
The technique of releasing the bolt slowly, or leading the bolt to close halfway before letting go will also reduce the chance of slam firing your weapon when doing single load. Either way, the bolt will close with a slower speed.

For the same reason, never single load your M1A without using loading the round into the magazine before releasing the bolt. The magazine follower actually provides enough friction to slow down the bolt, hence closing the breech without slam firing the round. Without the magazine in place, the bolt will close the breech at a much faster velocity ... slam fire will be 90% likely.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:50:40 PM EDT
Yes, I've had the M1 thumb. Hurts like hell! One good thing came from it. I learned to take my thumb out of the way of the bolt!

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:01:10 PM EDT
I was always very carefull handling my M-1 while loading, etc., but I managed to aquire M-1 thumb while cleaning it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:23:17 PM EDT
hasn't happened.....yet I've been handling an M1 since I was about 14 or so. (read as: long time)
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:41:32 PM EDT
My Garand bit me once. I was explaining to a buddy what Garand thumb was, & when I started showing him what not to do, wham!!!! Ended up losing 90% of the thumb nail.
If it wasn't for the pain medication that I was already on, it probably would have hurt a bit.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."

Link Posted: 5/17/2002 1:31:06 AM EDT
If you think M1 Thumb is fun try Hakim Thumb...!
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 1:33:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Noname:
If you think M1 Thumb is fun try Hakim Thumb...!

"Hakim thumb" will result in "loss of thumb"
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 1:44:53 AM EDT
Yas, welcome to the whacky world of Garands. I have 2 of them and I`m left handed. "Oh no, that didn`t hurt," while your mind is going "YOWEEE". :(
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:25:21 PM EDT
Never had the 'ol M-1 thumb. Knock wood. I own two of them and have been familiar with them for about 35 years. Once saw a drill instructer slowly close the bolt on his thumb and hold the rifle out in front of him straight-armed while saying something like "there's nuthin' to be afraid of men, she won't bite you!" Then watched the same guy fire it like a pistol with one hand! Brave guy, but I've still been careful with them ever since.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 7:11:13 PM EDT
Got M1 thumb in JROTC in high school back in the sixties. Learned my lesson after one time. Now have 3 of my own and am very careful!
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 7:25:33 PM EDT
who me? naaaah. Now you know what the nick refers to.

I got my first Garand, cleaned it, firing it at the range. Took me about 30 minutes, never done it since. When it did happen, I thought owie that smarts. It bled like a stuck pig - follower and the extractor claw got my thumb on opposite sides. In about 2 minutes, I went from thinking "that hurts" to "drat - this is gonna mess up my day at the range" to "I better stop the bleeding" to "I'm GONNA LOSE MY THUMB" (which was of course way overreacting.)

The older field manuals instruct you to insert the clip into the rifle with your thumb and all fingers out - kinda like giving it the thumbs down sign - almost guaranteed to give m-1 thumb.
Top Top