Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2002 8:21:58 PM EDT
A friend of mine has an old .22 LR . To the best of his knowledge, his Great-Grandfather bought it new way back when.
It has an octagonal barrel, with what I believe is a falling block action. When you drop the lever, the breech and hammer drop straight down into the action, exposing the chamber allowing you to load a cartridge.
Bring the lever back up and the action comes back up, with the hammer back. Next stroke down on the lever ejects the round, (With practice you can catch the empty as it ejects  ) and leaves the chamber empty for the next round.
It has a blade front sight, with a metal fixed Notch on the barrel for a rear. It also has a secondary rear sight mounted to the rear of the hammer.This sight is adjustable for elevation. Did ya see "Quigly Down Under"? Sight is in the Same place.
The only markings I could find on the rifle were on the barrel-
"Manufactured by Winchester Repeating Arms Co.
New Haven Conn.U.S.A. Pattned Oct.79 MAY 28.07"
and on the underside behind the trigger-
"PAT OCT 79"
The rifle is still impressive in the accuracy department as far as I'm concerned, considering how old it is. I've never seen it shot on paper to measure groups, but I had no problem hitting pinecones in the trees out to about 35-40ft.
I DID do a search and didn’t find any rifles that were the same. I do admit however, I didn’t search TOO hard. I knew someone here would be able to tell me what he has .
Echo6
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#1]
30 views & no replys, did I do a adquite job of describing the rifle or, do I really need to take a pic?
Echo6
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#2]
From what you have described, it sounds like a Winchester 1885 with Lyman windage sights.

Does it look roughly like this?

...but with this type of sight on it?

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Give that man a cigar.
Any idea what they go for ?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#4]
A lot, depending on the actual receiver type, condition, was it actually a musket conversion, etc.

On the .22LRs, I'm seeing prices from $1500 and up for G/VG condition.

Regardless of its actual cash value, the 1885 has a lot of history behind it.  John Browning patented his single shot rifle in 1879.  Winchester bought the design in 1885.

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#5]
On a side note, I'd recommend giving it a good, thorough cleaning, and hanging it above the mantle in your friend's living room.

But that's me.

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep the lowest prices I'm finding for them Now that I know the correct name is about $1300.00( I was assuming Winchester 79 from the patent date).
I've been trying to talk him out of it for 6+ years now....I guess I need to offer him more for it next time I make a play for it .
echo6
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'd recommend giving it a good, thorough cleaning, and hanging it above the mantle in your friend's living room.

the_reject

Due to the collector value, or due to to possably being unsafe to fire?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Good luck trying to talk the rifle over into your gun safe...  

...and thanks for the mystery to spend my insomnia on...

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Due to the collector value, or due to to possably being unsafe to fire?

Well, if the rifle has been well-maintained throughout its life, there shouldn't be much danger in firing it.  However, I'd rather retire it and drop $150 on an el cheapo Ruger 10/22 if I had to shoot a .22LR.

As long as the gun isn't falling to pieces, it will always have collector's value.  But, possibly more important in your friend's case, it's a family heirloom to treasure.

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got the 10/22 to plink around with. Their is just somthing really neat about that old single shot. I've never seriously tried to talk him out of the rifle. He does concider it a family heirloom & plans on passing it to his son one day.
e6
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I can imagine...  For me, it's my old M96 Mauser.  I take it out just to look at it, admire the beauty and the engineering that went into producing it.  One of these days, I'm going to have to get an old lever-action rifle.  I'd probably do the same thing with it.

But hey, I'm a sucker for history...  

the_reject
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top