Anybody know an easy method for installing a Tac-Latch other than growing a third hand?
Last time I installed one, it took forever, and the spring is under quite a bit of tension and the roll pin hole is so frickin' hard to find.
Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
1. drive the roll pin out and remove the existing latch
2. look for spring that jumped out when you did 1.
3. curse. curse. curse again.
4. find spring. now look for the roll pin, which mysteriously disappeared while doing 2.
5. see 3. repeat.
6. tap the roll pin till it just shows a little (maybe a 64th or so on the inside of the charging handle.
7. fit the spring into its hole in the handle.
8. press the tac latch in and try to line up its hole with the roll pin.
9. whole thing falls apart. see 4,5. repeat 8
10. when you "feel" that the hole is matched up with the end of the roll pin, GENTLY tap the roll pin thru.
11. scream a primal victory scream.
12. put your AR (or M-16) back together and rush down to the range to try out your new tac latch.
I did THREE of those little buggers! Can you tell?
I like VirginiaM4's step by step approach, but I'll give you one tip that worked for me.
Don't drive the pin all the way out, only far enough to get the standard latch off. Then push the Tac Latch on there and hold it with your thumb while you push the charging handle down on something hard to start the roll pin back through the Tac Latch hole.
Thanks guys. I ended up getting it to work by doing what Jarhead said, in combination with #10. These things are a PITA.