Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2002 3:19:11 PM EDT
Anybody know an easy method for installing a Tac-Latch other than growing a third hand?

Last time I installed one, it took forever, and the spring is under quite a bit of tension and the roll pin hole is so frickin' hard to find.  

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]
brouhaha

I belive there is a jig u can make to do this. If u have the military intermediate maint. manual there is detail insrtuction for such a procedure..

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#2]
1.  drive the roll pin out and remove the existing latch
2.  look for spring that jumped out when you did 1.
3.  curse.  curse.  curse again.
4.  find spring.  now look for the roll pin, which mysteriously disappeared while doing 2.
5.  see 3.  repeat.
6.  tap the roll pin till it just shows a little (maybe a 64th or so on the inside of the charging handle.
7.  fit the spring into its hole in the handle.
8.  press the tac latch in and try to line up its hole with the roll pin.
9.  whole thing falls apart.  see 4,5.  repeat 8
10.  when you "feel" that the hole is matched up with the end of the roll pin, GENTLY tap the roll pin thru.
11.  scream a primal victory scream.
12.  put your AR (or M-16) back together and rush down to the range to try out your new tac latch.

I did THREE of those little buggers!  Can you tell?
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I like VirginiaM4's step by step approach, but I'll give you one tip that worked for me.

Don't drive the pin all the way out, only far enough to get the standard latch off. Then push the Tac Latch on there and hold it with your thumb while you push the charging handle down on something hard to start the roll pin back through the Tac Latch hole.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  I ended up getting it to work by doing what Jarhead said, in combination with #10.  These things are a PITA.

Thanks again!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top