Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2002 6:11:29 PM EDT
I have decided to get one more gun before summer and then the rest of my spare moolah is going towards landscaping and a couple vacations. I know this is a pretty personal type of topic, but I was hoping some of you owned some of the guns I am considering, and perhaps you have some insight as to which is "more fun/useful."

Bolt Gun Setup - Am thinking either Savage FP or Remington 700 in .308 with all the trimmings (scope, bipod, etc). I currently do not have a bolt gun.

Semi-Auto .308 - Knight SR-25 or Armalite AR-10(T). My only .308 semi rig is an M1 Garand.

New Handgun - Looking at Beretta 92FS, Colt or Springfield 1911, Glock 23, or HK USP in .357 sig. I have a couple revolvers, a S&W 9mm (that gun is horrible), Walther PPK, and a Glock 17.

Pre-Ban AR-15 - Would probably make it into an M4gery. I have 3 AR-15's.

Others - In no specific category, I have been thinking of some form of an AK (I have a Romanian AK, semi auto and an SKS), a Marlin lever-action in 30-30, and a FAL.

Well, those are the fireams on my mind...I realize that I could get like 3 of the handguns plus a bolt gun for the price of the Knight, but that's not the issue at hand.

I'd appreciate any input y'all have...I guess the thread is kind of silly....but I'm just thinking out loud and maybe you guys can help me narrow the list down a bit.

Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
i would get the SR-25.  i dont have one but they are nice looking guns and i sure would like to have one.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have decided to get one more gun before summer and then the rest of my spare moolah is going towards landscaping and a couple vacations. I know this is a pretty personal type of topic, but I was hoping some of you owned some of the guns I am considering, and perhaps you have some insight as to which is "more fun/useful."

Bolt Gun Setup - Am thinking either Savage FP or Remington 700 in .308 with all the trimmings (scope, bipod, etc). I currently do not have a bolt gun.
THIS ONE...The Remington 700 PSS 26" bbl. in .308...it is the perfect compliment to your M1

Semi-Auto .308 - Knight SR-25 or Armalite AR-10(T). My only .308 semi rig is an M1 Garand.
M1 Garand is fine for a semi-auto .308

New Handgun - Looking at Beretta 92FS, Colt or Springfield 1911, Glock 23, or HK USP in .357 sig. I have a couple revolvers, a S&W 9mm (that gun is horrible), Walther PPK, and a Glock 17.
...trade off the S&W and the GLOCK for the Beretta 92.  The Walther safety works the same way as the Beretta.  Now you've got two very good pistols that operate the same way...

you're covered here

Others - In no specific category, I have been thinking of some form of an AK (I have a Romanian AK, semi auto and an SKS), a Marlin lever-action in 30-30, and a FAL.
...you're covered here, too, unless you want a higher capacity .308.  You could trade the M1 for an FAL here...perish the thought, right?

Well, those are the fireams on my mind...I realize that I could get like 3 of the handguns plus a bolt gun for the price of the Knight, but that's not the issue at hand.

I'd appreciate any input y'all have...I guess the thread is kind of silly....but I'm just thinking out loud and maybe you guys can help me narrow the list down a bit.

I can see the 700 PSS and FAL together; the Beretta and Walther; and a gaggle of AR's to hold down the fort.  The AK/SKS for fun; and the revolvers just because.
You've got a great set and the bolt-action would compliment it nicely.  Good luck.
Have fun on your vacation!
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with the recomendation of the 700, but I would save a few bucks and go with a BDL 700VS.  Pretty much the same gun in practical terms for less money.  I love mine, but either way you will be happy.  Handguns to me are personal; they feel good in your hand or they don't.  I wish I had your problems!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm leaning towards getting the bolt gun (I think I was leaning that way anyway, you guys just reinforced my thoughts). I'll just start looking out at my local shops for a new Remington in .308...as for models, I'll take the recommendation and go for a PSS.

However, I was shooting a friend's Beretta yesterday and I'm going to see if I can wing it by getting the 92FS in addition to the .308. Again, thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Cant go wrong with a 700, but as jtw said, think about the 700 varmit series guns.  Not much diference in the two when you are looking at the .308.  The PSS is a great gun and probably has a better out of the box trigger, but Remington 700 triggers are a snap to adjust.  I own a VLS in .243 and I have regularly shot a .308 PSS and can see little if any difference.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Cant go wrong with a 700, but as jtw said, think about the 700 varmit series guns.  Not much diference in the two when you are looking at the .308.  The PSS is a great gun and probably has a better out of the box trigger, but Remington 700 triggers are a snap to adjust.  I own a VLS in .243 and I have regularly shot a .308 PSS and can see little if any difference.

My understanding is that the triggers are the same.

You should handle a PSS before you buy one. As the palm swell is one of the major differances that you are paying for - some hate it, I like it.

Scope look at USO, Nightforce and Loopy. Nothing else.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I highly recommend the Remington 700. I have the PSS, but the other Model 700's are still good.

I have an AR-10A4 on order from ArmaLite. They quoted me a June delivery.

I just sold a Beretta 96 Brigadier Inox. I prefer the .40 over the 9mm. I have been thinking of the Glock 23 myself.

If you really want another AR-15, then the M4 would be a nice addition.

I have 3 AK variants: Romanian SAR-2, AK-103 clone (still at builder's shop), and a pre-ban Norinco 56S-1. I think you would be pleased with a SAR-2. It is chambered in the 5.45X39 (very similar to the 5.56).

I'm in the same boat you are. I'm going to get a couple more firearms, then focus on a little home remodelling that I have been putting off.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#8]

DSA  STG58  or  SA58 www.dsarms.com

OR

a .308  bolt gun if you don't have one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top