Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2002 3:28:41 PM EDT
Was at a gun show this weekend and was wondering if anyone knows anything about the laser max sights.They look like something that I would want. The cost is higher than hell but I like the way it is internal...I would be putting it on my Sig 220....Trucker
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean you would be putting it in your sig 220.

I prefer them for that reason. Have one for my sig 228.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one for my Glock 17, I also bought it primarily because everything is internal and the pistol will still fit in normal holsters, the button is totally concealed by the takedown pin, etc. Way cool design.

I'm reasonably happy with it, and I can't tell any difference whatsoever in function.

My complaints are:
1- it's harder to seat the Lasermax laser/recoil spring assembly under the barrel than it was to seat the original rod/recoil spring. (Especially with oily hands after cleaning). Once it's assembled there's no difference. This may not be true on the Sig.

2- The 'on' switch on the Glock is the takedown lever, and you turn on the laser by just pushing it from one side to the other (either way l-to-r or r-to-l, it doesn't matter). It seems a little 'picky' with being turned on, like the contact point first makes contact then if it's pushed too far it loses contact then it makes contact again at the end of travel. This is hard to explain, but it does annoy me.

Accuracy seems pretty good to me, I've only shot maybe 100 rds with the laser and wasn't doing any sort of precision shooting or measurement, but I was satisfied by the accuracy. It seems to be adjusted well.

To be honest with you, I haven't really shot with it enough to know if I truly like it or not. But I bought it largely for the 'gadget' factor and the pistol functions normally if you choose not to use it, so there's not a lot to lose.

You could probably sell it quite easily if you decided you don't like it.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I had one in my Glock 30 and I was less than pleased. It always wanted to turn itself on because of the recoil of the .45ACP. I mention this becuase your P220 is .45 also and the other two member that chimed in have them in 9mm. Perhaps mine was an early model that has since been perfected but I found that I could shoot far more accurately with my regular (night) sights than with the aiming dot. Lastly, the laser pulsates its beam (rapid on and off pulsing). Some people find this cool, I personally found this annoying. It was like trying to induce an epileptic siezure.

I ended up trading it away for a drum mag for my AR and then I went an bought night sights and a surefire light for concealed carry (I should've save the $400.00 in the first place and spent it on night sights and a surefire).

It did have one advantage over night sights. I did draw down on somebody once and he nearly pooped himself when he saw the red dot on his chest. It can be a huge intimidation factor. Or maybe it was the gaping .45 hole at the end of my barrel when he was used to seeing only 9mm before.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one in my Glock 21 (45 ACP) and I really like it!  The red dot is right on at any distance you will be shooting self defense and the lazer does not affect my ability to use any holster that I want to use.  I hace had it in my Glock for about 3-years now and I leave it in for all my target shooting and I may have about 500-rds through the gun with the lazer in the gun.  Still has the same bateries as new and still hits close to the little red dot!

I have considered buying a second one for the wife's G-17 as I am a VERY satisfied customer!
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#5]
There's a reason why its pulsing. It makes the laser a lot easier to acquire. Honestly, i feel it's better this way. In a high stress situation, you don't want a bland laser that you kinda have to look for. But when its blinking, it makes it easier to see. Accuracy is dead on, i've gotten it to about 50 yards and can still hit dead on.The laser is very bright at night, and can be seen quite far, (as in all the way down my street block) although i rather doubt the any handgun bullet's capacity to stay accurate that far. Anyway, I like it because there's nothing funny protruding out from the gun. Everything is internal, and as many others said, the design is ingenious. I'm not sure how the fit in the SIG, but in my Sigma it works just like a glock, you replace the takedown lever. Nothing to fumble for, just a quick switch, (nothing to snag onto). Battery lasts pretty long too. However, one thing i DID have to change was my ammunition load. The new recoil spring was rather veryyyyy tight, and i had to use stronger loads in my ammunition in order to help break in the spring. After about two boxes, and a week of leaving the slide racked back, I was able to use weaker loads again. Keep in mind that this wsa a 9mm. So i'm sure the big guys with .45 should have no problem at all. Anyone know if these thing's break easily?
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I know of a small town Police dept that for some reason decided to put Laser Max's on S&W Stigma's, The things kept activating when holstered, leaving officers walking around with a little red dot on the groung to their right side until the battery ran down. of course when ever they were drawn, they never worked, much like the first gen Stigma's they were mounted in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top