Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2002 11:32:34 PM EDT
I saw the article in the American Rifleman and I am really trying to figure out away to get it. I Think its a cool looking rifle. Does anybody have one and what are they going for in the gun shops. I find that most local shops sell for under the MSRP. Also I read somewhere there is some history behind the original version of this rifle, what were they originaly designed for?
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:26:41 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Also I read somewhere there is some history behind the original version of this rifle, what were they originally designed for?

The original AR-18 (Select-fire) was designed to compete with the AR-15/M16.  The AR-18 was designed in about 1963.  Obviously the attempt to compete with their own earlier product, the AR-15, was not successful and whay it was not successful is a story that would fill a book.

We've been getting some reports back from the Afghan for a few months now indicating performance problems with the short barreled variants of the M16.  Interestingly ArmaLite had about the optimum barrel length in 1963 !  The AR-18 and later the AR-180 had 18" barrels, 1:12 twist, producing 3250 fps MV with a 55 grn bullet.

Drop down to the AR-10 and AR-180 Forum and visit at your leisure.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Come on some else has got to have some experiance with this rifle.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I plan on having alot of experience with them in about two months
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Come on some else has got to have some experiance with this rifle.

It's very light, comes to the shoulder very naturally, is accurate, reliable, accepts M16 mags.  I love mine.  It compliments my 3 original AR180s just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top