Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2002 9:17:23 PM EDT
Anyone installed ghost rings on an 870? Not a gunsmith, but good with projects...should I attempt this or just send it out? Wait and send it to Vangcomp for the whole shebang in the fall? Thanks
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:58:38 PM EDT
If you are installing Trijicon/ScattergunTech sights, SGT used to sell a drilling fixture for drilling the holes in the receiver. It cost about $10, but I didn't see it in my latest Wilson/SGT catalog so I guess Wilson wants you to just send the gun to them. I checked this out a while back, and the fixture was made by SGT and not Trijicon. Brownell's had them, but again, not in the latest catalog. Personally, if they supplied drawings, I could handle it with no problem. Not sure about other brands of sights, but again, if they supply decent drawings...
Another thing is the front sight. The Wilson/SGT/Trijicon setup has the front sight epoxied in place. Better would be soldered, but that relegates it to a gunsmith job (for most of us) rather than a basement project.
If you're sending it to Vangcomp, I think I'd just let them do it (unless they are just going to glue the front sight in place).
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 3:55:59 AM EDT
Brownell's has the drilling fixture.
they are the best gun parts/gunsmithing tools place in the business.
www.brownells.com
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:09:29 PM EDT
With the fixture and a bit of mechanical aptitude, you shouldn’t have a problem.

You can do it without the fixture, but you had really better know what you are doing (and have a drill press). Don’t forget - you’re going to be drilling into your shotgun receiver!

And for crying out loud, don’t break a tap in your receiver!

Good luck.
Top Top