Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2002 9:17:23 PM EDT
Anyone installed ghost rings on an 870?  Not a gunsmith, but good with projects...should I attempt this or just send it out?  Wait and send it to Vangcomp for the whole shebang in the fall?  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are installing Trijicon/ScattergunTech sights, SGT used to sell a drilling fixture for drilling the holes in the receiver. It cost about $10, but I didn't see it in my latest Wilson/SGT catalog so I guess Wilson wants you to just send the gun to them. I checked this out a while back, and the fixture was made by SGT and not Trijicon. Brownell's had them, but again, not in the latest catalog. Personally, if they supplied drawings, I could handle it with no problem. Not sure about other brands of sights, but again, if they supply decent drawings...
Another thing is the front sight. The Wilson/SGT/Trijicon setup has the front sight epoxied in place. Better would be soldered, but that relegates it to a gunsmith job (for most of us) rather than a basement project.
If you're sending it to Vangcomp, I think I'd just let them do it (unless they are just going to glue the front sight in place).
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 3:55:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Brownell's has the drilling fixture.
they are the best gun parts/gunsmithing tools place in the business.
www.brownells.com
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#3]
With the fixture and a bit of mechanical aptitude, you shouldn’t have a problem.  

You can do it without the fixture, but you had really better know what you are doing (and have a drill press).  Don’t forget - you’re going to be drilling into your shotgun receiver!

And for crying out loud, don’t break a tap in your receiver!

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top