Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2002 6:14:04 PM EDT

And how legal?

I saw a Uzi built from a Group Industries Rec. with a welded open stock.

So it got me thinking. How hard would it be to build an Uzi out of one of those receivers and a parts kit? What kind of tools would you need to do it?

And of course would it be worth it? Would it be reliable at all?

Just curious, was wondering if anybody else had checked into doing this.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#1]
from what i undestand, to do it legally, you approach preban costs. and its not like an AR build. i think it involves welding and such.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I've actually given it some casual thought myself. Just never got around to asking this question.

Hmmmmmm.......anyone here know UZI's?
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Building 1 UZI would not justify the expense of the alignment jigs. But then I never understood those guys who finish those 80% lowers.

www.danddsales.com/index.htm

You can get all the parts and tooling you need here.  Many of the parts from the cheap SMG parts kits are not legal to use in a semi auto gun.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe that you would need a Semi-Auto. Kit to be sure that you are legal. These cost closer to $500 than the $165 that SMG kits cost.

You can buy a complete (Pre-Welded) Receiver, including IMI Receivers. THese cost more (Close to $300) than unwelded which usually run $40 - $100.

But, I believe that some of the pre-welded receivers are named Pre-Bans. You will definitely wish to check into that. As for myself, I would not build an Uzi unless it was Pre-Ban. It just makes no sense to me at least to have an Uzi with fixed stock. It just looks wierd. If you were to fix the orignal stock it would look OK, but it won't fold.

I believe that Pre-Ban Uzis are not that much more than Post-Bans. So, it shouldn't be a big cost difference. ANother note is that Semi-Uzis run around $1,000 while FA Uzis run around $3,000. But, I have seen a Registered Bolt (conversion part ???) for $1800.

Of course, this all depends on what you want. Basically is what I am saying is that for about the same thing you can build a Post-Ban, get a Pre-Ban, or for several hundred more get a legal FA Uzi.

[Edited to note that I just noticed that you are MO and an Uzi is not a C&R.]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top