Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/22/2002 8:18:33 PM EDT
I am thinking abour buying one but I was concerned with SA receivers' being cast. Does anyone ever had problems with SA's receivers? i.e. crack etc.??
Renn
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:28:45 PM EDT
1) I'm no pro.
2) I've never heard of a problem w/ cast S'field receivers.
3) MK Specialties is making forged receivers. They're on the web.
4) Also check Fulton Armory site re: Chinese receivers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:31:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 4:58:05 PM EDT
Renn,

I'm no expert (though I play one on the internet). As far as I know there is no concern with the SA recievers being cast. Metalurgy has come a long way in the last 50 years and a cast SA reciever should last you your lifetime, and most of your kids too.

The real issue with SA today is the cast parts used otherwise.

A SA with USGI parts (i.e. bolt, oprod, gas system) should be good to go.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:39:35 PM EDT
what he said! (jimmybcool)

my SA M1A is an old timer, still going strong. Just maintain it like you should.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:42:09 PM EDT
What jimmybcool said- nothing wrong with the receivers, some of the other cast aftermarket parts are too soft and can fail. If you have the cash, buy a SA receiver and have someone build you a gun with all GI parts. I can personally recommend Fulton Armory, but there are other good M1A 'smiths out there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 2:15:17 AM EDT
It is still the closest thing you are going to get compared to the orginal. They are very good. Don't get confused about cast versus forging for this receiver. I would rather have a good casting than a bad forging. I bought a forged nail bar made in China. I snapped it off on a 16 penny nail by hand. Not so good forging.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 1:22:09 AM EDT
Nothing wrong with the recievers at all,however i dont like all the cast parts on them.I dont know if i trust MKS though they have screwed alot of people with the little reweld fiasco.
But Springfield has a lifetime gaurauntee so if it breaks they will replace it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 3:32:19 AM EDT
Ditto on the SA recievers being Good, Just make sure you have USGI Bolt, Op rod, trigger ect. Gene
Top Top