Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2002 8:09:48 PM EDT
I had an idea earlier today about creating a more lethal ammunition, one that could reliably fragment <2700 fps.
Now I don't know if anyone has thought of this and maybe before I post this I should do a search so I don't look like a dumbass...but I won't.(do a search that is)

Anyway my idea is to encase a primer inside of a bullet/shotgun slug and when it strikes the target it will detonate the primer and cause the round to fragment. This could be done by simply drilling out the front of a slug, or by some other means for the bullet.

Now I realize that it may explode when the round is initially fired, but it is my belief that it won't (this is just a theory).

I realize that I may be missing some other huge factor, but right now it sounds like it would work...at least it is a possibility...maybe.

**and no, I am not going to try this at home.(at least not yet)

Anybody?
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#1]
illegal

primer contains not enough explosive to matter

a better answer would be a HE round, but i think mostly it would be an extreamly expensive solution to something that isnt much of a problem.

and oh yeah, DONT TRY IT!
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, it's been done. Lengthy thread also. There was a brand called "EXPLODER"---Bingham LTD ,PO Box 47026 Atlanta Ga 30362---that made ammo with a primer in nose of bullet. I've seen them in 9mm Para. Don't know if they worked or not...
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually, I think Engel Ballistic Research already makes a subsonic .223 which will reliably fragment at speeds (obviously) well below 2700fps.  Problem is, it won't cycle the action - its nostly meant for supressed bolt guns.  And of course there's the price tag.  IIRC its somewhere in the $5/round range.  Pricey, but through a supressed weapon, its pretty cool stuff.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
primer contains not enough explosive to matter

Ever have a primer go off in your fingers? It sure seems like plenty of explosives...then again my thumb doesn't look too bad...maybe it isn't enough...hmmm...
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The Nosler Ballistic Tip and similar type ammo operates like you're suggesting, sort of.  But not for explosion, merely for assured expansion. The tip of the bullet is a plastic wedge that on impact is driven deep into the bullet, causing sure expansion.   If this were coupled with a weakened internal structure (as in a scored jacket, for starters) then such a design may fragment well at lower velocities.

Yes, installing a primer in the bullet is illegal.  Given the huge acceleration shock of firing, it would be almost certain to go off immediately, but the power level of a primer is low enough that it would not cause significant damage to the bullet, meaning it wouldn't help it to expand or fragment to any usable extent.
A shock-hardened primer over a small explosive charge, though, WOULD work...and be illegal.

Oh, hell, just drill out the bullet, pour in mercury, and tape over the hole with copper tape and solder it in place. (On a bullet that is NOT loaded into a shell!)   The victim gets mercury poisoning.   Probably also illegal, though.

For the HIGHLY retentive types, collect all the old ball point pens you can.  Remove the tiny little metal roller ball from each one and save them up.  They're usually made of Osmium, which is MUCH denser than lead or even mercury, and is harder than a tax collector's heart.  Save up a whole shotshell full of them...but watch the weight so it doesn't go over the load spec.
They'll carry up awfully well for shot that small!

Fuse any shotshell's shot load into a frangible slug by pouring in candle wax that's just hot enough to flow easily.   It makes a wax/shot matrix slug that hangs together pretty well, fragmenting on impact.   Pre-warming the shell (but not TOO warm!) will help.

CJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top