Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/19/2002 10:13:45 AM EDT
What would you guys recommend for a postban? Y-Comp, Cav-Arms Comp, Ak-style muzzle brake? What would you guys recommend base on 1. performance, 2. price, 3. noise level annoyance and 4. night shooting -cough- fringe benefits - cough, as factors?
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 11:23:32 AM EDT
"Friends don't let friends buy muzzle brakes."
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 12:15:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 2:30:30 PM EDT
Definitely one of the coolest comps I've seen Waverunner! Tell us how it shoots when you get back!

Link Posted: 3/19/2002 3:12:39 PM EDT
I think muzzlebreaks are overrated...

unless you're going to be going crazy on the semi-auto and emptying mags like they were going out of style, you don't need a muzzlebreak. It'll just hurt your ears and annoy everyone else on the range. And it will definately not 'reduce' the flash.

For accurate and conservative blasting with a semi, you should be fine without a break.

If I were to buy a muzzlebreak, I'd probably go with an AK-style break. I think they'd only really make a difference on a shorty. IE a heavy match barrel with a bipod would make a break completely unnecessary.

Whatever your choice, I'm sure you'll have fun with it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 5:14:21 PM EDT
The Cav, Wilson Combat, and KKF (All A2 styled brakes) work very well. Looks good too.
Wilson

KKF
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:40:26 PM EDT
Got the Bushy M4 clone with that crazy Mini-Y... holy S#*t...better put plugs and ears on B4 you shoot it! Got a great unsuspecting sight picture, and squeezed...BLAM... I think they could hear, feel and see the concussion in Tenn. from Jersey! People on the line looking like I set off a flashbang!
Still, as sick as I am, I continue to squeeze the trigger,evermore!....hacko.gif

Link Posted: 3/19/2002 7:31:47 PM EDT
Hey mk1iii, what kind of muzzle brake is on the M4 in the lower picture? That looks sweet! Is it permanently attached? Thanks...
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 3:00:27 AM EDT
That's the A3 extended brake from Kurt's Kustom Firearms. Looks just like an A2 birdcage and isn't too loud either. Yes it's a perm install because it's a post ban and it also brings the 14.5" barrel to legal 16" length. Somwhere around a $100 for the brake and the labor and he has a section here on AR15.com farther down the topic list.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:46:09 PM EDT
Can the A2 and A3 from KKF be shot without hearing protection and not be painful?

I have a Mini Y on my M4 and it's painful to shoot without any ear protection.

I am thinking about having the KKF A2 or A3 installed. But i dont want to waste the money on them if they are as noisy as the mini-y comp.

any advice is appreciated

mike
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 12:56:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 2dollars:
Can the A2 and A3 from KKF be shot without hearing protection and not be painful?

I have a Mini Y on my M4 and it's painful to shoot without any ear protection.

I am thinking about having the KKF A2 or A3 installed. But i dont want to waste the money on them if they are as noisy as the mini-y comp.

any advice is appreciated

mike

I have a KKF A2 and it is great. Yes, it is loud. However, any brake makes the rifle louder. Especially to those on either side of you. You shouldn't be firing a rifle without hearing protection anyway. Even one without a brake.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member - www.nra.org
GOA Life Member - www.gunowners.org
SAF Supporter - www.saf.org
SAS Supporter - www.sas-aim.org

Link Posted: 3/23/2002 3:54:31 AM EDT
I am going to against the grain around here but I love my AK style brake. I got to try my upper on a couple of M16's a few weeks ago and it worked great.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 8:52:50 AM EDT
Anyone have any experience with the "REMVAMS" brake ??

A guy I know and trust(Class III, Class II) says this brake works very well on his AR-18 machine gun. So if it does work well on a machine gun should work well on a semi.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 10:18:12 AM EDT
I use a Smith Enterprise compensator.
1. It is much better than a plain barrel, but I haven't compared it to very many other brakes.
2. ~$55 installed (set screw version)
3. The noise level isn't too bad.
4. It is much better than a plain muzzle in regards to muzzle flash.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 1:07:16 PM EDT
I have both the KKF A2 & A3 on M4gerys. They are louder than an AR without a brake but not painfully loud. Kurt did a great job on both of my guns and I would highly recommend him.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 1:33:40 PM EDT
I like the Wilson, Cav and Gunsmoke four slot.
RH
Top Top