Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked DIY Cascade Tube Thread... (Page 17 of 17)
Page / 17
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 1:06:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wattius] [#1]
Still waiting for that objective lens but i borrowed one from a camera for testing purposes. The aperture is way too high at F3,5-5,6 but it still sees better in the dark than naked eye.
It's not pretty but it works.

Video.

I also have to take back what i said before about it not making any noise because it does a little bit. i was not able to hear it when i tested the tube for the first time.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 3:15:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hatti] [#2]
nice video!

seems like you get more distortion through a loupe eyepiece comparing to PVS-2 eyepiece.

to push cascade performance down to level of dark adapted eye you need to choke the lens down to f/10 or so,
thats according to my feeling.

loudness of whining is different from tube to tube, but newer ones usually are not loud.
worst one i had was an old early 80s p8079 (non HP) tube.

i have one tube with serial number over 20000 too, it does not make much noise.

where did you get the tube? starlightNV?
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the info.

Feels like the camera i'm using is amplifying the distortion. It's there and noticeable but not even close to how it looks like in the video. I'm now testing with a 50-200mm F4.0 zoom lens. Can zoom in pretty far but aperture is definitely an issue still.
Small clip with the zoom lens. Those buildings and lights are 2-4km away.

This is where i got my tube. They really shot up in price recently from what i've read.

A question or two, since you've had a few of these tubes from what i've gathered. How easy is it to cause damage to them with excessive light? I've pointed mine at some bright street lights very briefly while panning around and they leave a mark for up to 10 seconds before fading out. I believe that's not a big deal for as long as i'm not constantly pointing it at bright light sources. Also, have you noticed any degradation in performance on your tubes over time?

Will get back for at least one more post when i get the fast lens.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:39:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wattius:
Thank you for the info.

Feels like the camera i'm using is amplifying the distortion. It's there and noticeable but not even close to how it looks like in the video. I'm now testing with a 50-200mm F4.0 zoom lens. Can zoom in pretty far but aperture is definitely an issue still.
Small clip with the zoom lens. Those buildings and lights are 2-4km away.

This is where i got my tube. They really shot up in price recently from what i've read.

A question or two, since you've had a few of these tubes from what i've gathered. How easy is it to cause damage to them with excessive light? I've pointed mine at some bright street lights very briefly while panning around and they leave a mark for up to 10 seconds before fading out. I believe that's not a big deal for as long as i'm not constantly pointing it at bright light sources. Also, have you noticed any degradation in performance on your tubes over time?

Will get back for at least one more post when i get the fast lens.
View Quote
cannot really answer about tube damaging, because probably i am too careful with NODs, unfortunately,
but these trails from bright sources are nothing to worry about.

i live in unpopulated area, where there is no artificial light sources and even no sky glow, so my chances to damage a tube are small.
only once i got tube overloaded with light and built in emergency shutdown triggered.

one thing i would like to warn about is incandescent lamps  -  car headlights and especially these 500 watt PIR sensor activated floodlights.

have not noticed any signs of tube degradation yet.
i am reluctant to use NODs fully open in full moon conditions, dusk and dawn and in those midsummer "white nights" though.

i guess tube degradation is gradual process and it is very hard no notice without side by side comparison to some reference tube.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks again.

Got the faster objective fitted today. Spent 2 hours testing it in the darkness and it's working really well so far.

This is the sort of image i'm getting during the darkest time.

A bit out of focus. Snow is providing a lot of illumination but i still could only see halfway down the road and the treeline, that's about it. The thing is really turning night into day.

The box is attached with some velcro tape for now at least. It wobbles a bit but it's not going anywhere.

Real-time voltage monitoring.

Inside the box.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I found my old project in the bottom of a box and decided to rebuild it with a nice housing.  I modeled everything in the computer and designed a lens adapter to 3d print.  Next I'm going to design a sleek battery compartment.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:27:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RaptorFuel] [#7]
I made a phone adapter from some scrap kydex.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#8]
^ man, thats pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 12:09:59 AM EDT
[#9]
They help me figure out where to buy the P8079HP or P8079

I searched and I can not find it u.u
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By urbansee:
They help me figure out where to buy the P8079HP or P8079

I searched and I can not find it u.u
View Quote
Pretty sure this is where we bought them. Been awhile.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RaptorFuel:
I found my old project in the bottom of a box and decided to rebuild it with a nice housing.  I modeled everything in the computer and designed a lens adapter to 3d print.  Next I'm going to design a sleek battery compartment.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/167432/E95B3B92-B6EF-43CF-BB4D-65A6FB447356-621821.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/167432/A13D3F2A-AE90-48C7-8ADF-92DB09C32EF4-621822.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/167432/C37196D2-4C39-4D95-924E-3B74124154A5-621824.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/167432/A9331DB7-53EA-458E-8317-85177FBBFC51-621825.JPG
View Quote
Take a look back one page. We talked about using a flashlight for the battery pack. It's great and small.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 12:55:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KeegsBruH413] [#12]
I'm pretty poor but I've always wanted a nv system of some kind and the original post here says that single stage gen1 tunes can be found as cheap as $10. I didn't find anything helpful after a quick search so does anyone know where I could purchase one? It doesn't necessarily have to be a single stage gen1 tube, just the absolute cheapest one I can get anywhere please. Quality isn't a big issue to me right now and if I need I can add extra ir light for it. I just need one I can afford
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I admit, I didn't read the whole thread...has anyone done their own gen 3 PVS-15s?
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Amazing thread! My girlfriend is away and i've got a week off so i've been reading this for days (and drinking lots of beer of course!).
Thanks David and everyone for sharing their experiences.
I'm limited to 2000 words as a new member posting so i've just deleted my long description and boiled it down to basics :
Grade A P8079HP from ebay, £185 including P&P.
2 lenses to try, one is a 50mm/1.4 with the M43 fitting, the other is a Praktica 50mm/1.8 with a proprietary mount i think, i managed to find a mounting ring for it too.
For the housing i bought 75mm PVC pipe, it's a perfect fit for the tube, being VERY tight.
I'll be using the 75mm endcaps in the pics, the hole i cut for the c-mount/M43 adapter ring is off-centre, but i knew i'd screw up so i ordered 4 to begin with.
I cut the housing pipe to a little longer than the length of the tube, including the input lens that protrudes ever so slightly from the assembly.
Pipe and end caps are a great solution if you want something modular, just have different endcaps with different adapter rings or whatever, i didn't do a very straight cut at the eyepiece end, but because i'm using endcaps it's not a problem.
I'm using 4 NimH batteries in series that provide 7.4 volts (the P8079HP has voltage regulation so this isn't an issue - as far as i know?). Does anyone have a link to the manual that someone posted a photo of pages 12-13 from, the manual from the company that made the tube, i've searched but can't find on the net ?

I won't have all the bits and pieces until next week, i'll update the thread as i go.

Cheers n Beers :)

Link Posted: 7/18/2019 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#15]
This is the post with a pic of a couple of pages out of the manual, does anyone have a link to the manual ?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/DIY-Cascade-Tube-Thread-/18-359614/?page=14
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll be sticking with the recommended voltage rather than going up to 7.4, even though i've read there's a regulater in the tube, a few of the bits arrived today so i'm ready to go using the small lens, still waiting for the ring adapter for the Praktica lens.

Will wait until it's darker and hook it up to a bench psu, plan to stick a raspberry pi at the eyepiece end to see what sort of image the pi camera gets, not sure what it's minimum focus is, would be nice to have the unit skywatching in the garden while i sit on my arse indoors remotely controlling it :)
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 3:43:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gclarke66] [#17]
Got a temporary assembly ready to test when it gets dark. The small lens, the NimH battery pack (which turned out to be 6.7v after resting - just right), a switch for safety.
For the negative i made a ground contact ring and pigtailed it through the housing. All a bit rough at the minute but good enough for testing.
For the positive i found a 2.5mm screw fits.

Photo of ground contact ring :

Whole assembly :

Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:54:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hatti] [#18]
hello

here is link to few more pages of info about the tube
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rnnkvasq5t6o2dy/AADmr9Ftu9FrdnRR2OohXQJpa?dl=0

yes,it is better not to exceed nominal voltage.

there are available adjustable voltage regulators,
one lithium ion cell with boost regulator would be nice option. EDIT: a lithium cell with over discharge protection.

good luck with your build!
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks hatti :)
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 10:18:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gclarke66] [#20]
The ground contact ring wasn't staying in place so i cut an acrylic ring to hold it :

I plan to use a raspberry pi with camera and motion-detection software :

A weather-proof container to hold it all in :

I'll be meteor-spotting at first :)
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 7:12:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gclarke66] [#21]
Turns out the camera can't focus on anything less than a few inches away so will have to adjust for distance between lens and screen or use a different camera.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#22]
HI,

WE are the company David Kitson mentioned as the supplier in the opening thread.. Down to a 1000 of these tubes. Price reduced to £150.00 around $195.00. If anyone would like a dealership to make really good money selling on ebay etc, let us know.

contact [email protected]
or [email protected]
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Finally got my cascade tube together.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:00:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GripnAK47s] [#24]
Thanks to all for this thread. Too bad most all the pics are gone.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I know it is a long shot, but has anyone compared one of these (performance wise) to the SiOnyx?  Trying to wrap my mind about how they might compare at a given light level.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 2:11:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: InfamousCicada] [#26]
First off! Thanks to all for this thread! This is outstanding!
I've recently been wanting to do a NVG build with older tubes and a 3D printed housing. The idea popped into my head when I was fixing the battery connector on my old Russian 1st gen cyclop scope. (Though the only way to get the tube and power supply out of the housing is to either cut the housing in half((which I would hate to do since its in great condition)) or to cut the wiring connecting the two and slide them out in opposite directions.)
Then I would need to find another tube with similar specs for the second eye.
Has anyone done anything like this? I know some have used pvs5 tubes in pvs31 or pvs15s, can't remember which.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Hi all,

This is Julian from company Starlight, we are now getting down to the last few hundred of these tubes and some other bulk items besides so we cannot afford to keep paying storage costs for them.

Therefore we have reduce the price £45 or about $60. This excludes shipping which will be international tracked and signed.

If you are interested please e-mail me at [email protected]

All tubes shipped at our risk not yours.

Thanks,

Julian.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Can SLR lenses survive recoil if you were to mount a home made night vision on a gun?
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Retspag:
Can SLR lenses survive recoil if you were to mount a home made night vision on a gun?
View Quote

I have seen images or people using them on rifles. Never tried it myself. Hopefully CJ7hawk has and will see this.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 6:25:55 AM EDT
[#30]
It's a good question. They certainly are not rated for weapon shock - and would have to withstand more than 300 G's at the minimum to even have a hope of handling smaller cartridges... A Rimfire .22 or .177 would not be likely to cause damage, but unless you don't mind risking the lens, putting it on a centerfire of any caliber would be less desirable.

You might get some that survive, but generally they simply don't design them to handle those kinds of shocks, and the photography world is full of people who drop a lens and break them, so in general, I'd say it's less likely.

Regards
David
Page / 17
Next Page Arrow Left
Tacked DIY Cascade Tube Thread... (Page 17 of 17)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top