Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/10/2006 8:48:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 6:18:25 AM EDT by Camel]
I shot my Ruger Old Army for the first time about 2 minutes ago and it was just as cool as I thought it was going to be The only problem I had was the caps were taking 2 strikes to go off every time. I am using CCI number 11 caps. Is this a problem with the caps or am I doing something wrong? I made sure they were seated firmly on the nipples, but I don't know how hard you are supposed to press them on as it was my first time.

Other than that I need to adjust the sights because it was shooting 5-7 inches to the left. Can't wait to take this thing to the 25/50 yard range this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:10:45 PM EDT
You're sure the nipples weren't mushroomed at all? If so, then how old are the caps or have they been exposed to moisture? I'm not aware of any inherent flaws with CCI caps, in fact I thought they had a reputation for being somewhat more sensitive than Remington or RWS. It sounds to me like they weren't seated well enough, for whatever reason. I'd take a close look at the nipples to make sure they aren't deformed. Were they taking two strikes on all chambers or only one?

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:02:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Cpt_Redleg:
You're sure the nipples weren't mushroomed at all? If so, then how old are the caps or have they been exposed to moisture? I'm not aware of any inherent flaws with CCI caps, in fact I thought they had a reputation for being somewhat more sensitive than Remington or RWS. It sounds to me like they weren't seated well enough, for whatever reason. I'd take a close look at the nipples to make sure they aren't deformed. Were they taking two strikes on all chambers or only one?

Cpt. Redleg

It was all the chambers. This was the first time this had been fired. The caps are a few years old, but they were unopened. I think it may be the old caps. I am going to the range tomorrow and im going to try a different can of caps.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:52:04 AM EDT
I just tried the same caps in my Traditioins pistol and it pops them the first time.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:17:42 AM EDT
I think I found the problem. I happend to have a tin of Number 10 caps and two cylinders all fired on the first strike. The 10's fit farther down on the nipples too, the 11's weren't fitting far enough down. I guess i'll have to stock up on Number 10's for the cap and ball and I can use the 11's I have for the muzzle loaders.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:45:44 PM EDT
Well that's odd! #10s are smaller than 11s. It would seem to stand to reason that the 11s would fit farther than would 10s. Oh well. Hey, if it works it works. It isn't unusual for revolvers to prefer 10s over 11s.

Maybe Ruger OAs have a particularly short nipple, allowing the 11 to contact the shoulder before the nipple proper? I've seen it, but usually on really cheap pistols, not well made weapons like the OA. Dunno. Never heard of that with them, but then I can't claim vast knowledge on the OAs and I don't own one.

Whatever the cause, glad it's working for you.

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:03:23 PM EDT
Holy crap! the first thing i thought when i read your first post was, "Why is he using #12s on a revolver?"
I hesitated to post because i don't know about the Ruger revolvers. My Remington .44, and Colt .36 both use #10.
Damn, i should've chimed in FWIW. maybe save some time.

Next time.
Rogerball.

P.S. i want to hear the range report for the Shenendoah. Remember that it does use the 12s. And from the factory the front sight is high. Is supposed to be. once you find the "right load", you file it down to adjust for elevation (usually 100 yards, but that's up to you). For windage drift the back sight. Oh, and be careful cleaning-don't use a .50 caliber brush because it WILL get stuck down there. Use a .45 with a patch, works better.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:37:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 4:39:29 AM EDT by Camel]

Originally Posted By RogerBall:
Holy crap! the first thing i thought when i read your first post was, "Why is he using #12s on a revolver?"
I hesitated to post because i don't know about the Ruger revolvers. My Remington .44, and Colt .36 both use #10.
Damn, i should've chimed in FWIW. maybe save some time.

Next time.
Rogerball.

P.S. i want to hear the range report for the Shenendoah. Remember that it does use the 12s. And from the factory the front sight is high. Is supposed to be. once you find the "right load", you file it down to adjust for elevation (usually 100 yards, but that's up to you). For windage drift the back sight. Oh, and be careful cleaning-don't use a .50 caliber brush because it WILL get stuck down there. Use a .45 with a patch, works better.

I ended up not taking the rifle. The rear sight is loose and moves side to side even with the screws tight, something isn't right. I'm going to have to fix that before I sight it in. I am anxious to see what it will do after shooting the pistol.

However, the pistol was dead on at 25 yards, I was impressed. Next time i'm going to try it on the 50 yard range. The Old Army was shooting high, but good groups. I'm going to fine tune that next time. I need to get a better powder measure to be more consistant with the loads before I can get the most accuracy from these.

My rifle doesn't match up with the picture or the specs for the Shenendoah listed on the Traditions site. It matches up with the Pennsylvania. Its got the three gold star things under the barrel and the gold heart behind the trigger and its overall length and sights match the Pennsylvania.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:33:44 PM EDT
A few years ago shooters were screaming at Ruger because the nipples were too small and #11 caps kept falling off. Ruger finally responded by making nipples too large for #11 caps

YMMV because they are inconsistent with this. Aftermarket nipples are your best bet if you have problems with your old army.

Treso makes a good quality nipple for Rugers:
http://www.thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com/parts_nipples.htm#t-nip
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:03:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Robert2011:
A few years ago shooters were screaming at Ruger because the nipples were too small and #11 caps kept falling off. Ruger finally responded by making nipples too large for #11 caps

YMMV because they are inconsistent with this. Aftermarket nipples are your best bet if you have problems with your old army.

Treso makes a good quality nipple for Rugers:
http://www.thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com/parts_nipples.htm#t-nip

you're right.Mine were fine.Ordered spares from Ruger when I was ordering something or the other,for another gun.New nipples seem slightly larger.
Top Top