Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/5/2006 4:38:18 PM EDT
I just picked up a repro 1874 Sharps Sporting rifle. Whats everyone's favorite Loads? BP and Nitro.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:03:03 PM EDT
Black Powder- Load the empty case with Goex BP Cartridge, or 2F to just under the neck, preferably about 1/4" below. Place a wad over the powder, and then compress (seat) the bullet over the load. If you prefer a lighter load, make sure to top off the remainder with preferably wads, or oat meal. The key is no air space under the bullet. I would spend the money and buy a box of BP loads with the 405 grain flat nose, which replicates the original Army load. I have had good luck with a 60 gr. 2X or Cartridge Goex.
Fadala's guide to Blackpowder is an excellent source, as is Dixie Gun Works table of loads.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:42:53 AM EDT
Thanks,

Im just catching up, in the last year I have finally made it to the 19th century so to speak. Been shooting flintlocks since I was a kid.

Im quite impressed with BPCR's, was amazed at the accuracy, my father has been shooting them for the last 3-4 years and got his Highwall dialed in, then handed to to me, was knocking over rams at 500 meters left and right!

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:29:54 AM EDT
The BPCR game is a hoot. We shoot the mid range silhouettes here the second Sunday of every month.

I shoot A C Sharps 1875 New Model in 40-65.

I prefer the Swiss 1-1/2 fg, the fouling is a little softer and I get better standard deviation and muzzle velocity. I cast my own bullets out of 30:1 Alloy with a lyman 410678 "Bore Riding Bullet". I have a lot of information on this sport, shoot me a IM if you need anything.

sharpknife
Top Top