Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 6:46:27 AM EDT
Just got a K31 a couple of weeks ago. Picked up some .284 brass, reloaded it, and fireformed 50 rounds. I like the way it shoots. Anyway, my question. When I was going thru the gun figuring out the particulars, I cycled the bolt and dry fired to get used to the straight pull. Just for the heck of it, I pushed it till it was just to the point of rotating closed. I pulled the trigger to see if it would fire when it wasn't locked up. So the hammer falls and the inertia finishes rotating the bolt closed. I guess I was expecting it to not fire, if there was a cartridge only partially chambered of course, and the bolt wasn't fully locked. So...will an actual cartridge fire in the same circumstances? I figure no, since I've never read on any forum of that possibility. But I figure I better ask just in case I'm missing something. Thanks. Greg  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I *believe* it will not fire, however if I remember right doing this enough risks a broken firing pin, while true dry firing with the bolt locked up correctly will not damage the pin.  Check the Swiss Rifles Straight Pull msg board to be sure, don't count on me saying it won't fire!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I think I read the same thing.  There is a small protruding piece on the firing pin that will stop or at least slow down the sction of the firing pin enough to prevent the firing of the round if shot out of battery.  Repeated impacts that way can break that protrusion off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top