Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 160
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#1]
New to plate carriers, but would like a bit of advice. I'm interested in getting my kit set up and I  have been looking at several types. My question is about fit. I'm a big guy and wanted to know what size would fit me. I normally wear  xl shirts and pants, should I get an xl size or do ou measure your chest size? Second question, what type of plates should I buy, ceramic level III, IV ?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 11:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Most are sized only by the plate size with an adjustable cummerbund. Some have sized cummerbunds as well. Even some others are adjustable for plate size and cummerbund size. As far as plate size, it is better to go too small than too large. The larger plates give you more protection but don't allow you to move properly. The SAPI sizes are listed on Wikipedia.
Dustin
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 2:50:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm one of the few guys in my unit who has a plate carrier in the 'Stan right now.  I'm loving my KDH Magnum TAC-1 in a major way!!  Maybe I'll be able to put up some pics pretty soon.  I'm working with a minimal set up...3 magazine shingle, strap cutter, side plates, and IFAK and so far, it's worked out pretty well for me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 4:39:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By nick_75:
I'm one of the few guys in my unit who has a plate carrier in the 'Stan right now.  I'm loving my KDH Magnum TAC-1 in a major way!!  Maybe I'll be able to put up some pics pretty soon.  I'm working with a minimal set up...3 magazine shingle, strap cutter, side plates, and IFAK and so far, it's worked out pretty well for me.

What exactly do you love about the Tac-1?  I had one last year and hated the damn thing, and got rid of it as soon as I could.  Thankfully I was allowed to wear my Weesatch.
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 6:49:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mk13] [#5]
Here is my Eagle PC. The AUC pattern was more of a necessity than a personal preference as I was in the Army N.G. for eight and then skated as an E-5 with one tour in OIF. MOS was 19 Delta w/ Combat Lifesaver training as a little background info. I wore an IBA similar in nature for my tour (no PC's were allowed).

I'm showing it in two different configurations with a 9mm or .45 as a secondary and with or without the drop leg from the belt. I only run three magazines for the primary with the option of going as heavy as seven. I do not normally run reloads for the secondary from the belt because with side ESAPI plates they are too hard to get too. I just didn't take them off for the photo.

Also, on the PC where the pistol mag pouches are... I would prefer them to be side by side on the support side but they are placed like that for a good reason. The Tactical Tailor side plate carriers need some additional support besides their malice clips along the cummerbund and the IFAK and Blade Tech in those positions tie everything in much better and closer to the body. A lot of trial and error went into the current pouch placement and what is being carried. This is my class/personal preparedness rig.

Eagle PC w/ cummerbund (Fastex buckles removed from PC)
Tactical Tailor side plate carriers
Eagle Triple M4 mag pouch
Eagle IFAK kit (usual stuff Cinch tight, CAT, Nasopharyngeal Airway, Quik Clot Sponges etc...)
1911 Blade Tech IWB in a Tactical Tailor M4 single pouch
Leatherman Wave in a Gerber pouch with a few allen wrenches tucked in a channel sewed into the webbing
(2) Eagle pistol pouches singles
Eagle admin pouch with sm. bottle of CLP, bore snake, cut off toothbrush, 4''x4" rag, (2) AA's, and (2) 123's
Shoulder pads unknown mfg.
CamelBak hanging off the back by two Grimlocs
ESAPI's all four corners with Kevlar backers

Blackhawk duty belt
Blackhawk triple mag carrier
Safariland 6004
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#6]
How are you dealing with the pistol holster up there on your PC?  I tried to run it there in the past as an option but it sucked.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:

I just changed this threads archive status so it won't vanish.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/5/2011 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sweatpants:
How are you dealing with the pistol holster up there on your PC?  I tried to run it there in the past as an option but it sucked.  

I've seen your picture and we are built differently. This works well for me. I'd reposition it otherwise. Weight on shoulders and back, that's another issue. I wanted a quick don and doff so I purposely did not want it on a separate belt. One piece grab and go is what I wanted and certain concessions have to be made.

P.S. I have several pic's of your blaster in various modes of set up. Nice photography too.

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 1:50:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Was

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 1:51:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Now replaced by:

Unfortunately i am selling it in EE, tows not included in sell
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 4:15:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Socomike] [#12]
Battle Lab armor/plate carrier.  
Eagle mag pouches
SKD Fugly admin pouch
ACH
10.5 MK18 clone
G17 RTF with a Safariland ALS holster

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:26:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eggrolly] [#13]

Why are you selling it

nice SKD Monkeystomper
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm actually considering pulling the add as it is a great carrier but originally going to sell it for funds for a weapon
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:32:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NapeSticksToKids] [#15]

Eagle PC w/CB (CB removed) w MLCS Shoulder Pads
BFG Triple Ten Speed
TT Double Pistol Mag
HK P30S in BHI Serpa attached to G-Code RTI Molle Mount
TAG Admin Pouch w/Flap w/3rd Pistol Mag
BFG Modular Vest Strap
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#17]

theres a plate carrier in there somewhere
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 1:55:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Only picture I have of my pig level iv multi hit plates with 3a backers still need to order the side panels

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 4:45:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GetDown_M4A3] [#19]
edit
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Just got a PIG carrier here as well.  A work in progress:

ESSTAC double M4 Kywi
BFG ten speed double pistol mag
HSGI Pistol mag for Fenix light
SOTech IFAK pouch

Looking to go to a "flatter" FAK and add 1 rifle mag + 2 or more pistol mags.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 1:13:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By WorstCaseScenario:
Originally Posted By pyro0:
What's with the labeling on peoples mags?

The short answer is that it helps keep track of your good mags.  Number them, when you ID a number that consistently gives you problems, eliminate it.  Also keeps them from walking away, but that's incidental.

It just saved one of my pistol mags from walking away last weekend, and from an honest mistake.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 6:03:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Damn, I would give my left nut to have a PIG instead of this damn IOTV.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 11:56:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dru] [#24]
Originally Posted By SKD_Tactical:
Originally Posted By RangerJoe11:

Left Nut, huh? I love my PIG, but left nut worthy?? If you are willing to make a trade, I'll call your bluff.
To be honest I would only give my left nut out for a few reasons - Like an all benefits included night or more with - The Chick from Drive Angry, The chicks from transformers, Jessica Alba, Jessica Biel, a midget (just for the story), or The S.E.A.L. that killed Bin Laden (- also for the story). There are other hot chicks out there but you get my point.

SOS

I EFFin' Shot Bin Laden

Pffffffffffft! Those chicks wouldn't hang with you if they knew you were missing a nut!

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Left Nut, huh? I love my PIG, but left nut worthy?? If you are willing to make a trade, I'll call your bluff.
To be honest I would only give my left nut out for a few reasons - Like an all benefits included night or more with - The Chick from Drive Angry, The chicks from transformers, Jessica Alba, Jessica Biel, a midget (just for the story), or The S.E.A.L. that killed Bin Laden (- also for the story). There are other hot chicks out there but you get my point.

SOS

I EFFin' Shot Bin Laden

HAHA...ohhh man that was great.

"I go Osama bin Laden! And he goes who's asking? I'm like U.S. of A Mother F#%%er. Bam."
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 11:13:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NapeSticksToKids] [#26]

Eagle pc with ciras pads
Triple TT pistol
BFG triple ten speed
BFG modular vest sling
TAG admin pouch with flap
P30 in serpa on gcode rti molle mount
ESAPIs
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#27]

SOS

I EFFin' Shot Bin Laden

You win...

And thanks for the great service, your shipping arrives here pretty damn fast...

Link Posted: 7/2/2011 1:31:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TR0N_0010] [#28]

ETA:

Diamondback Tactical FAPC GEN II

Front:
Diamondback Tactical triple AR mag shingle
2 x Grimlocks
Gerber seat belt cutter

Back:
Source Hydration 1L bladder inside a Maxpedition large tactile pouch

Peltor SportTacs with OSOE headband cover (FYI, OSOE's Coyote is very green)
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 2:17:49 AM EDT
[#29]

I'm thinking, DBT FAPC GenII, size Medium?  Amirite?
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 3:02:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Mine is a Work-In-Progress as well, but here toy go...

Eagle LE Plate Carrier with Cummerbund

OPS Hydration Carirer (with Camelback 2L Bladder inside)

ATS Tactical Triple AR/Triple Glock Pouch

Not Shown - Condor Medic Pouch.

Like I said, is still a work in progress as I want to add another GP pouch or two, but for the most part, tyhis is what I want. The OPS hydration carrier is made in Hong Kong, but unlike the COndor stuff, this one is built very well.

Link Posted: 7/2/2011 7:28:02 AM EDT
[#31]
how about descriptions of what the carrier is??
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 5:56:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CosmolineGreen] [#32]
Gear and Cost Layout: Items not for sale!

Trunk Rig

Diamondback Tactical Predator Vest Gen 1 Medium size in LEO Black (no BALCS soft armor) $110

Front Plate- Ceradyne 10X12 Level IV multi-hit plate: $250

Back Plate - PPI 2518 10X12 Level III multi-hit: $250

Side Plates - Side SAPI 6X8 plates in plate pouches: $155

Velocity Systems 10X12 plate backers: $200

CAT torniquet in BFG Tourniquet Now strap: $10

$975

Enroute LEO Black items:

TAG Ulility pouch medium: $30
MARZ Utility Pouch Small: $30
ATS medical pouch: $50
Eagle Double M4 pouch: $45
TAG Radio Pouch: $25

Jericho Rig (DBT only shown to replicate inbound BDS Carrier)

BDS Tactical Split Front Chest Rig: $145

Eagle Industries modular SAW pouches: $110

TT 3 Mag pouch with ATS Medical Insert: $30 +$18

$333

Enroute in Ranger Green:

BDS Tactical Stacker Plate Carrier w/cummer bund: $190

ESAPI Plates Medium: $555

Grand Total: $2053  (Good Lord! Still cheaper than a funeral!)
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TR0N_0010:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6015/5892619049_a050cb9a7f_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6022/5893187356_5afe445105_b.jpg

ETA:

Front:
2 x Grimlocks
Gerber seat belt cutter

Back:

I like the looks of the pouch your using for you water bladder.  Have you gotten out and rolled around with it on and had any problems?  Can you fully fill the bladder using that size pouch?

Link Posted: 7/6/2011 8:30:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By rubin:
Originally Posted By TR0N_0010:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6015/5892619049_a050cb9a7f_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6022/5893187356_5afe445105_b.jpg

ETA:

Front:
2 x Grimlocks
Gerber seat belt cutter

Back:

I like the looks of the pouch your using for you water bladder.  Have you gotten out and rolled around with it on and had any problems?  Can you fully fill the bladder using that size pouch?

It's only a 1L Bladder so I can fill it up and still fit it in that pouch. I haven't gotten a chance to get out and use it yet but from just wearing it and messing around, it seems like it will do exactly what I need it to do.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Another work in progress, upgrade from a TT 2-piece MAV:

PIG plate carrier
monkeystomper X1
HSGI mini-admin x1
ATS double/single shingle X2

Still deciding on hydration carrier. I'm also considering revising mag load to 4 mags in single stack orientation. The weight of the loaded monkeystomper seems to be causing the PIG's velcro on that side to shift and make noise.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I stopped carrying double stacked mags on the front of my PC a while back. As far as dismounted contacts, i have never really used more than 4 mags, so I carry anywhere from 7-9 mags to be safe. My front has 4 single shingles across it, with 2 double mag pouches on the C-bun. This lets me carry up to 8 mags.

SOS

I am still setting up my PIG and I am using two of the EMDOM double mag pouches...so far those are the nicest I have had, I want add 1 more and have a total of 6 (MAGS) on the PIG and I plan to keep 2-3 in the back of the PIG hydration carrier..

On the subject of the PIG, is there anything to be done to make the MOLLE cumberbund a little stiffer?

Link Posted: 7/7/2011 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I stopped carrying double stacked mags on the front of my PC a while back. As far as dismounted contacts, i have never really used more than 4 mags, so I carry anywhere from 7-9 mags to be safe. My front has 4 single shingles across it, with 2 double mag pouches on the C-bun. This lets me carry up to 8 mags.

SOS

I hear you. I carried 12 on my MAV, 8 up front and 4 (or more) secured in a GP pouch on my weak side. I think I will most likely go a similar route as you described, and then stow extras in the assault pack.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Mine was more of a preemptive question... no problems yet as I am still building it out.... Just wondering

Originally Posted By testedone:

SOS

I am still setting up my PIG and I am using two of the EMDOM double mag pouches...so far those are the nicest I have had, I want add 1 more and have a total of 6 (MAGS) on the PIG and I plan to keep 2-3 in the back of the PIG hydration carrier..

On the subject of the PIG, is there anything to be done to make the MOLLE cumberbund a little stiffer?

Not for the standard MOLLE C-bun. The soft armor one will be stiffer due to the soft armor inserts though. I carry quite a bit of weight on my MOLLE C-bun without any issues though. Where are you having the problem- Front, back or sides of the C-bun? Are you sure its adjusted tightly and properly?

SOS

Link Posted: 7/11/2011 4:39:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dylang32] [#41]
Shellback tactical banshee plate carrier.
Lvl 3+ stand alone plates,
TAG open top three mag pouch

this carrier is very comfortable and very well made.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Spartan 2
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Eagle Industries FSBE plate carrier w/ cummerbund
(1) Eagle Industries MLCS 3 X 2 mag pouch
(3) Eagle Industries FSBE 1 X 2 mag pouch
(1) Eagle Industries FSBE MBITR pouch
(1) Eagle Industries MLCS admin pouch
(1) Eagle Industries M60 pouch (for NVGs)
(1) Specter vertical large GP pouch
(1) SO Tech SOF IFAK
(1) BFG Tourniquet NOW
(1) Eagle Industries FSBE hydration carrier
(1) Eagle Industries MLCS 1 X 2 CQB pistol mag pouch
(1) Pr Eagle Industries MLCS shoulder pads
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 4:50:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3XIraqvet] [#44]
Taken this morning.  The other photo in the post above is a month old.

Same PC, now with a TT E&E pouch in place of the admin pouch.  It holds pens, chem lites, Garmin E-trex GPS, small compass, blood chit, small note book, sharpie marker, lighter.
M9 sits in the right most M4 pouch using the thumb break from one of my MLCS kits.  
Removed the M60 pouch and replaced with a GP/Canteen pouch.  I usually carry a bottle of Afghani water w/ one of the electrolyte powders from the chow hall in it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:12:26 AM EDT
[#45]

Last week in Herat with two of my guys.  Mixture of FSBE, MLCS and SPEAR gear, mostly Eagle or Allied Industries, plus some commercial gear (the guy in the center has some taco mag pouches for his GLOCK 19 mags).
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Here's my current set up.

This is all HSGI stuff to replace the kit I was provided here in AF. Old kit was good enough for an M4 but we run AK variants.

Woosatch E vest. That give me 12 molle columns which for my 34" waist give just enough wrap around the sides.
universal modular double mag pouch: 4 mags
Double Taco: rifle & pistol mag
Double Taco: rifle and G2 LED
Bleeder/Blowout pouch: Israeli bandage, quick-clot gauze, ARS chest decompress needle, EMT shears, and CAT tourniquet
single grenade

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#47]

TAG Plate Carrier with ESAPI's
Eagle admin pouch
Blackhawk Strobe/GPS pouch
Random Multicam SAW 100 rnd pouch that is my BOK
Eagle M9 pouches for M&P mags
Two Specter quad mag pouches
Blackhawk flashbang pouch that holds 2 TK's
On back is an Eagle hydration carrier with camelbak 3l reservoir
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Doc_Hurley:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e78/trurolla_05/KWH_2142.jpg

TAG Plate Carrier with ESAPI's
Eagle admin pouch
Blackhawk Strobe/GPS pouch
Random Multicam SAW 100 rnd pouch that is my BOK
Eagle M9 pouches for M&P mags
Two Specter quad mag pouches
Blackhawk flashbang pouch that holds 2 TK's
On back is an Eagle hydration carrier with camelbak 3l reservoir

How does your PC don and doff? I sure would like to see more pics if it's not a PITA.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#49]
TT LPAC

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 12:32:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: andytk5] [#50]
Just sold my old spec ops molle vest and looking for some multicam HSGI "Wasatch" pics. Think that may be a better fit. Thanks!
Page / 160
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top