BCM
User Panel

Let's talk med pouches (Page 9 of 10)
Page / 10
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:05:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tommytrauma] [#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Legman688:

I have a stupid question.  What, if anything, is the difference between H&H PriMed Compressed Gauze (NSN: 6510-01-503-2117) and this Z-Pak Gauze Dressing (NSN: 6510-01-527-8329), and which, if either, is preferable?
View Quote

The only functional difference is the way it's folded / rolled. The Z pack is folded accordion style; some find it easier to use for wound packing that way. The piimed is simply rolled.
Tacmedsolutions put together an excellent training video on wound packing. At ~3:50, it shows a handy shortcut for working with rolled gauze.

It's also worth noting that the Olaes bandage includes wound packing gauze behind the pad, which is part of what makes it my pressure dressing of choice.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Speaking of gauze and wound packing... looks like Z-medica has come out with a "civillian" version of their hemostatic gauze that's a good chunk cheaper than the combat gauze branded stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/QuikClot-EMS-Rolled-Gauze-48/dp/B00DRINAI6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1419082118&sr=8-5&keywords=zmedica+gauze
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By tommytrauma:
Speaking of gauze and wound packing... looks like Z-medica has come out with a "civillian" version of their hemostatic gauze that's a good chunk cheaper than the combat gauze branded stuff.
http://www.amazon.com/QuikClot-EMS-Rolled-Gauze-48/dp/B00DRINAI6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1419082118&sr=8-5&keywords=zmedica+gauze
View Quote

That's interesting, never seen that before. The price if pretty nice too.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:11:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gjohnsoniv] [#4]
Here's one or two of mine.  This is the Chinook Med take on a blow out kit.  This one is a recent purchase for me, bought it right after they introduced it.  Only problem I have with it is that it didn't include any Quick Clot or similar but it's not like I can't add some.

One thing I think is kind of cool is that it all stays attached so it doesn't get "lost."  Useful? Dunno, haven't decided what I'm going to do with this kit.  Might just end up on my minimalist carrier.

These I really like from Chinook, these prepackaged "Law Enforcement Medical Modules" I've had a couple of them.  This one is currently riding around in a jacket of mine.   The others have been opened and used to refill other things or been tossed in my range bags and the like.  I personally see them as nice to throw in a bag as a backup because it really doesn't take up much room and they aren't that expensive.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:44:37 AM EDT
[#5]

The only functional difference is the way it's folded / rolled. The Z pack is folded accordion style; some find it easier to use for wound packing that way. The piimed is simply rolled.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Legman688:
I have a stupid question.  What, if anything, is the difference between H&H PriMed Compressed Gauze (NSN: 6510-01-503-2117) and this Z-Pak Gauze Dressing (NSN: 6510-01-527-8329), and which, if either, is preferable?

Thanks! That told me exactly what I needed to know. Really useful Youtube links too.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Bunker_Boots:

[snip]

Hope you enjoyed, and please feel free to fire away with your comments an
View Quote

I am going to assume you are some sort of civilian contractor?  I am guessing from your user name you are an experienced fire medic, but perhaps not a lot of tactical training?

Please take this as contstructive commentary...

You are not going to be able to connect the second bag to your main bag, with all that shit attached to the front unless the second bag is basically empty.  I have taken the CTOMS bag overseas and I ended up giving up on attaching them together because you can't attach anything to the front and get them to still zip together.

Your bag is not functionally packed, nor is it packed in accordance with standard TC3 priorities in mind. On the outside of your bag you have your tourniquets (good) and some bleeding control stuff (good) but you're also rocking some breathing stuff and boo boo gear.

10 total chest seals and 4 total decompression needles but only 4 iv caths and no IO option.

7 ETBs of various sizes but not one ace wrap? Swat-t doing filling this role?

No pain control or even a med pouch, no hypodermics and syringes, no eye shields (I guess you could make gauze doughnuts), cravats for slinging and splinting, I mean, lots of cool stuff, but its set up like the back of an ambulance not a trauma bag.

Let me get to a computer and I will post up how I had my bag packed.

I don't mean to come off as harsh, but I would tell one of my medics to go back to the cage and try again if they showed up with a bag packed like this.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:40:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the comments; you shouldn't be worried about providing direct and to-the-point feedback.
See my responses below.

Originally Posted By Tactical_Bacon:

I am going to assume you are some sort of civilian contractor?  I am guessing from your user name you are an experienced fire medic, but perhaps not a lot of tactical training?
Negative, I am a Security Officer with an international organization.
Yes, I have experience as a Firefighter/EMT and also served as an Army Combat Medic (91B; now 68W)
Depends on what you mean by "tactical training" but I have had my share of plenty (currently deployed in Afghanistan).

Please take this as constructive commentary...
Wouldn't take it anyway else!

You are not going to be able to connect the second bag to your main bag, with all that shit attached to the front unless the second bag is basically empty.  I have taken the CTOMS bag overseas and I ended up giving up on attaching them together because you can't attach anything to the front and get them to still zip together.
Negative, I have tried this set-up and it does connect.
Yes, not to its fullest capacity, but I have been able to pack quite a bit into it, more than I expected.
Then the question would be, would the added weight of the external pack be worth the extra capacity?
This I have not figured out yet.

Your bag is not functionally packed, nor is it packed in accordance with standard TC3 priorities in mind. On the outside of your bag you have your tourniquets (good) and some bleeding control stuff (good) but you're also rocking some breathing stuff and boo boo gear.
Like I mentioned, the configuration is still in the works.
My set-up was based on a configuration by a US Army flight medic who was deployed in Afghanistan.
http://starlightcdn.blogspot.com/2014/01/ctoms-2nd-line-aidbag-medevac-setup.html#more
The missions I usually conduct are mostly with armored vehicles, but also a fair amount of flying by helicopters.
Immediate interventions such as bleeding control and decompression needles are easily accessible versus having to fish them out of the pouches.
Same goes with boo boo gear; why open the entire bag if you can mount an admin pouch in the exterior?

10 total chest seals and 4 total decompression needles but only 4 iv caths and no IO option.
Yes, I was actually thinking of taking out the extra chest seals.
It may not be apparent in the photos but there are extra chest darts packed in the "AIRWAY" pouch.
I have not packed an IO because 1) I could not get a hold of one and 2) I am trained at the EMT-Basic level. I have not been trained to administer IVs via IO.
I can carry only what I have been trained to use, right?

Believe it or not, I am having extreme difficulty getting ACE wraps here.
Don't ask why...
Picked up a couple SWAT-Ts from a friend and yes, they do serve as wraps as well.
For the time being, this will have to do; already ordered a box of a dozen 4" and 6" ACE wraps each to pick up during my leave next month.

No pain control or even a med pouch, no hypodermics and syringes, no eye shields (I guess you could make gauze doughnuts), cravats for slinging and splinting, I mean, lots of cool stuff, but its set up like the back of an ambulance not a trauma bag.
Again, I am not trained at the level to administer any controlled medication/narcotic substances, nor am I authorized to carry any.
And yes, the configuration was set up to supplement what is already on an Army Air MEDEVAC.
funny you should mention cravats and eye shields, because I just added some last week.
I got some EZY Pill Pouches during my last leave but don't have a hard case to put them in.
The most medication I can pack would be PO OTC meds.

While this may work for that purpose, I am finding this setup not suitable for my needs for the following reasons:
1) In accordance with ABC/CAB, I am finding access to my airway and breathing equipment cumbersome. I will have to consider mounting them on the back side of the front cover flap so when I open the bag, I have immediate access.
2) As mentioned above, this setup would reduce the capacity of the external module; am considering moving at least the vertical pouches to the sides.

Whatever the case is, my setup is to supplement a standardized emergency trauma bag my employer has deployed; this is standard in any duty station we serve in, and I am also one of the instructors for its use.
Nowadays I am thinking the following configuration would better suit my needs:
http://starlightcdn.blogspot.com/2014/03/ctoms-2nd-line-in-dismounted-role.html#more

Regardless of how the configuration is, it is still light-years better than the STOMP II I have been carrying for the past 13 years.

Yes, please.
I would be very interested in seeing what your setup is.
Any and all would be a learning experience.
Sharing is caring, right?

I don't mean to come off as harsh, but I would tell one of my medics to go back to the cage and try again if they showed up with a bag packed like this.
Harsh? Are you kidding me? Again, I am not a "medic," just an EMT-Basic. I fully acknowledge my level of training and capacity.
My primary function is security coordination in the field, so might be best to lower your expectations.

View All Quotes

[snip]

Yes, I have experience as a Firefighter/EMT and also served as an Army Combat Medic (91B; now 68W)
Depends on what you mean by "tactical training" but I have had my share of plenty (currently deployed in Afghanistan).

Yes, not to its fullest capacity, but I have been able to pack quite a bit into it, more than I expected.
Then the question would be, would the added weight of the external pack be worth the extra capacity?

My set-up was based on a configuration by a US Army flight medic who was deployed in Afghanistan.
http://starlightcdn.blogspot.com/2014/01/ctoms-2nd-line-aidbag-medevac-setup.html#more
The missions I usually conduct are mostly with armored vehicles, but also a fair amount of flying by helicopters.
Immediate interventions such as bleeding control and decompression needles are easily accessible versus having to fish them out of the pouches.
Same goes with boo boo gear; why open the entire bag if you can mount an admin pouch in the exterior?

It may not be apparent in the photos but there are extra chest darts packed in the "AIRWAY" pouch.
I have not packed an IO because 1) I could not get a hold of one and 2) I am trained at the EMT-Basic level. I have not been trained to administer IVs via IO.

Don't ask why...
Picked up a couple SWAT-Ts from a friend and yes, they do serve as wraps as well.
For the time being, this will have to do; already ordered a box of a dozen 4" and 6" ACE wraps each to pick up during my leave next month.

Again, I am not trained at the level to administer any controlled medication/narcotic substances, nor am I authorized to carry any.
And yes, the configuration was set up to supplement what is already on an Army Air MEDEVAC.
funny you should mention cravats and eye shields, because I just added some last week.
I got some EZY Pill Pouches during my last leave but don't have a hard case to put them in.

While this may work for that purpose, I am finding this setup not suitable for my needs for the following reasons:
1) In accordance with ABC/CAB, I am finding access to my airway and breathing equipment cumbersome. I will have to consider mounting them on the back side of the front cover flap so when I open the bag, I have immediate access.
2) As mentioned above, this setup would reduce the capacity of the external module; am considering moving at least the vertical pouches to the sides.

Whatever the case is, my setup is to supplement a standardized emergency trauma bag my employer has deployed; this is standard in any duty station we serve in, and I am also one of the instructors for its use.
http://starlightcdn.blogspot.com/2014/03/ctoms-2nd-line-in-dismounted-role.html#more

Regardless of how the configuration is, it is still light-years better than the STOMP II I have been carrying for the past 13 years.

Yes, please.

Harsh? Are you kidding me? Again, I am not a "medic," just an EMT-Basic. I fully acknowledge my level of training and capacity.
My primary function is security coordination in the field, so might be best to lower your expectations.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:59:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the comments; you shouldn't be worried about providing direct and to-the-point feedback.
See my responses below.

View All Quotes
See my responses below.

[snip]

i was talking about "tactical combat casualty care" training which makes up the current 68w training after EMT-B.  A fair amount of focus on kitting things together (when I use combat gauze it is used on a junctional bleed so I will also need an ace wrap to provide compression and tape to secure things so I will put those three things together), the way you have your IV stuff set up is what I would define as functional packing.

i had a hell of a time getting the two packs to attach with just the zippers, using the side release buckles worked but made it so I had to undo 6 things to get the damn bag open and ended up making a really accessible bag a giant pain.  Plus the two together and loaded are the same width as a STOMP.  I ended up making it into my "sick call" bag and keeping the main bag focused on trauma interventions

ok, that makes more sense.  I have never flown, but have watched a bunch of episodes of that Air Force PJ show on discovery

They have a bird to haul all their stuff around, and seem to be more set up like an ambulance (like stuff with like stuff) than having the gear kitted (stuff that goes together to treat the same type of injury goes together.  I guess it really is shooters preference, but its fewer pouches to open and close, and less stuff to get "aid bag exploded" if you have to pick up and move.

the chest seals are up to your threat assessment, obviously, but just seem excessive to me.  I guess it depends on how many casualties you expect to be able to treat and all that jazz.

On the IO, I am not sure what your medical control is over there but see if you can get the go ahead to carry/use an IO and the training to do so.  The FAST-1 is stupid easy, EZIO takes a little more time to get the anatomical landmarks but they are the same as a jamsheti (not idea how to spell that one).  I have heard the army is moving to the some other IO solution but have no experience.

Don't ask why...

makes sense, run what ya brung.  I you are on any of the bigger bases over there hit up a batallion aid station and see if you can get a few ace wraps, it's not like you're asking for some morphine . They might hook you up

that makes sense, and really sucks for your dudes if they get hurt

a very smart Army PA who was an ODA team SGT before he went to PA school said that a medic should have 4 bags:  dismount/raid bag (1-2 casualties sustainment until you get back to vehicles), vehicle bag, sick call bag and air platform bag.  Take that for what it's worth, I don't know a lot of organizations that will provide that much in the way of funding or cube for transport of all that crap for us non-special people.

Yes, please.

Ok, photos will have to wait as I looked through my ipad and camera and cannot find them, despite knowing I took them

PM on its way to you.

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm just a helicopter pilot with expired Red Cross First Aid and CPR training.  Recently I've been doing a lot of shooting up on a friend's remote mountain-top property where if someone took a ricochet, we'd have to wait for a medevac or long off-road journey down the mountain.  What are the essentials to deal with someone taking a direct or stray bullet in order to stabilize until a real first responder gets on scene?  Obviously control and stop the bleeding.  I want to carry a small med pouch to deal with such a scenario without going crazy on gear.

So if one of you med types could chime in what I should carry in order to help out- that would be great.  I'm thinking something along the lines of shears to get to the wound and quick clot and bandages to stop the major bleeding?  

I don't have the time to read through the whole thread, but someone's response may save a life down the road.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 5:16:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By zimm17:
I'm just a helicopter pilot with expired Red Cross First Aid and CPR training.  Recently I've been doing a lot of shooting up on a friend's remote mountain-top property where if someone took a ricochet, we'd have to wait for a medevac or long off-road journey down the mountain.  What are the essentials to deal with someone taking a direct or stray bullet in order to stabilize until a real first responder gets on scene?  Obviously control and stop the bleeding.  I want to carry a small med pouch to deal with such a scenario without going crazy on gear.

So if one of you med types could chime in what I should carry in order to help out- that would be great.  I'm thinking something along the lines of shears to get to the wound and quick clot and bandages to stop the major bleeding?  

I don't have the time to read through the whole thread, but someone's response may save a life down the road.
View Quote

1. There is no such thing as "JUST" a helicopter pilot. You guys are awesome.
2. Highly recommend you get those certs renewed. They are skills that you will use in a highly unlikely scenario that will save lives.
3. Assess the risk, based on likelihood and impact. This will give you an idea of what to carry and how much.
4. For starters put together a larger trauma bag/first aid bag with bulk supplies at this remote mountain top property.  
5. For your individual kit, get an IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit) this threat has a lot of different set-ups, applications, information on each piece of equipment, etc.
6. A standard US Army IFAK contains a Combat Application Tourniquet (CAT), QuikClot Combat Gauze, a 4" emergency bandage, nasopharyngeal airway (NPA) with lube, compressed gauze, chest seal, 2" tape and a pair of nitrile gloves.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#11]

2. Highly recommend you get those certs renewed. They are skills that you will use in a highly unlikely scenario that will save lives.
3. Assess the risk, based on likelihood and impact. This will give you an idea of what to carry and how much.
4. For starters put together a larger trauma bag/first aid bag with bulk supplies at this remote mountain top property.  
5. For your individual kit, get an IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit) this threat has a lot of different set-ups, applications, information on each piece of equipment, etc.
6. A standard US Army IFAK contains a Combat Application Tourniquet (CAT), QuikClot Combat Gauze, a 4" emergency bandage, nasopharyngeal airway (NPA) with lube, compressed gauze, chest seal, 2" tape and a pair of nitrile gloves.
View All Quotes

Yes IFAK for the range bag or hiking pack will be great.  I found the Chinnok Lemm-SWAT in this thread- it looks like everything I'd need.  I'd have to find pouch that will fit it and then I can add other items for boo-boos like bandaids, tweezers, antiseptic, etc.  I'd like to have Molle/PALS for my warbler, but I want something with snaps that I can easily remove to put in another bag if need be.  I don't want to be unclicking malice clips on a IFAK pouch.

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Yes IFAK for the range bag or hiking pack will be great.  I found the Chinnok Lemm-SWAT in this thread- it looks like everything I'd need.  I'd have to find pouch that will fit it and then I can add other items for boo-boos like bandaids, tweezers, antiseptic, etc.  I'd like to have Molle/PALS for my warbler, but I want something with snaps that I can easily remove to put in another bag if need be.  I don't want to be unclicking malice clips on a IFAK pouch.

View All Quotes

Keep in mind they have several different models of the LEMM.  Other thing is the pack comes sealed but it has a ziploc like closure on it.  So it is possible to open and rearrange things and then re-seal it to stuff in a pouch.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By gjohnsoniv:

Keep in mind they have several different models of the LEMM.  Other thing is the pack comes sealed but it has a ziploc like closure on it.  So it is possible to open and rearrange things and then re-seal it to stuff in a pouch.
View All Quotes

I personally hate those products where they come with everything prepacked in a heavy duty plastic bag.
They usually cost more; you can put together your own kit by purchasing the required items separately and put them in a ziploc bag you can buy from Costco.
I put together three trauma chests doing just that, mostly from medical supplies left behind by ISAF.
Cheap and effective is the way to go.

For other boo boo items, you are probably better off getting a small Pelican case and stuffing stuff in there, instead of with your IFAK.
Also there are plenty of detachable IFAKs out there, HSGI M3T, Original SOE IFAK, SO Tech IFAK, etc. just to name a few.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:51:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2apatriot] [#14]
Where is the best place to get a cat-t tourniquet? Are they all made the same or are some better than others?
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Tango7:

Wherever you source them watch out for commie counterfeits. There are fakes out there, purportedly for the airsoft crowd that have made their way into supply chains.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2apatriot:
Where is the best place to get a cat-t tourniquet? Are they all made the same or are some better than others?

Wherever you source them watch out for commie counterfeits. There are fakes out there, purportedly for the airsoft crowd that have made their way into supply chains.

Thats what I was worried about. I have to say, anyone that sells shitty, fake tourniquets as the real thing is a scumbag.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 7:08:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tommytrauma] [#17]

Thats what I was worried about. I have to say, anyone that sells shitty, fake tourniquets as the real thing is a scumbag.
View All Quotes

Tactical medical Solutions has the SOF-T, equal to (arguably better than) the CAT. They're a SF medic veteran-run business, and exceptionally stand-up people.

Edit to correct the dog's breakfast I made of the board code.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#18]

I personally hate those products where they come with everything prepacked in a heavy duty plastic bag.
They usually cost more; you can put together your own kit by purchasing the required items separately and put them in a ziploc bag you can buy from Costco.
I put together three trauma chests doing just that, mostly from medical supplies left behind by ISAF.

For other boo boo items, you are probably better off getting a small Pelican case and stuffing stuff in there, instead of with your IFAK.
Also there are plenty of detachable IFAKs out there, HSGI M3T, Original SOE IFAK, SO Tech IFAK, etc. just to name a few.
View All Quotes

Oh I agree with you on this but for what I bought these for I feel it fits the bill just fine. I would like some other items in the bag but I have others packed myself with what I want.  As far as the boo boo stuff goes I don't know if that was directed at me or OP, well all of this actually, I just feel it's my Arfcom duty to argue .  Anyway my boo boo stuff is wrapped up and stuffed in an empty pocket on the chest rig.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Tactical medical Solutions has the SOF-T, equal to (arguably better than) the CAT. They're a SF medic veteran-run business, and exceptionally stand-up people.

View All Quotes

+1
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#20]
How do you keep your latex free gloves in your kit from getting mauled before you need them (having a hard time with this), and how often do you rotate out the unused pair for a new pair?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 5:56:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bunker_Boots] [#21]
I pack mine in a small Ezy dose disposable pill pouch enough to pack two or three pairs.
Also I use nitrile instead of latex; I hate those powered one amd nitrile gloves are much studier.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:09:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TDunn] [#22]
My newest IFAK.  Raven Tactical Gen 2 NSN in Mandrake.

http://www.raventacticalgear.com/rtg_store.php.html

Gear is perfect - low profile - ambi - and brings what is needed and no more.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 12:05:02 AM EDT
[#23]
bumpity
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#24]

This office down bag rides in the front seat of my police car every day, it clips onto my belt if I need to and will strap on like a thigh rig.  The pouch itself is velcro'd onto the rig and will rip off after unsnapping that clip.  There is also now another tourniquet rubber banded to the top of the bag for immediate access.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I would add a chest seal, needle for decompression, and a ace bandage for a good compression wrap.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 5:04:24 AM EDT
[#26]
keeping this one bumped, for posterity and such. Lots of good info here.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#27]
bumping up
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 3:24:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Bump for advanced tactical med class in February....
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Bought some of the new First Spear med stuff back in September.  Should finally be showing up here in the next week and I'll add pictures.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:26:14 AM EDT
[#30]
My pouches finally showed up the other day.  Ordered the TQ pouch, Improved Med Thong, pouch for the thong, and the pressure dressing pouch.  Crappy pictures but you get the idea.  I need to repack the med pouch but I just threw some things in for the photo.  The pressure dressing pouch is probably going to be relocated or removed entirely because it interferes with the removal of the pouch.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Keeping it out of the archives
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By calicojack:
So there are quite a few choices out there when it comes to med pouches (IFAK/BOK). So let's discuss them a tad. I'll start with this:

I've had a ctd clamshell style in the past. At the time it road at about 4 o'clock on my plate carrier. Both the plate carrier and the pouch have both been sold since.

Here's a short list of most of the kit i have been able to find.
HSGI Bleeder Pouch
Paraclete Quad Fold Medical Pouch
Paraclete SOF Individual Aid Pouch
Eagle Medical Pouch
ATS Small Medical Pouch
ATS Large Medical Pouch
TAG Medical Pouch
TAG Folding Medical Pouch
Endom Bomb
Tactical Tailor Zippered Utility Pouch (will discuss after listing)
Tactical Tailor Medic Pouch
Spec-ops Brand Medical Pouch
John Willis's Tear Off Ifak

So as you can tell there are three main styles that the various Vendors produce. The Clamshell style, Such as the Eagle Medical pouch; The quad fold, such as the paraclete; and a half zip such as the TT Zipper utility and the hsgi bleeder.

As an arm chair commando the only downside to most of these, that i can tell, is that they must stay attached to your rig. with the exception of very few. and unfortunatly the colors on the few tear offs is usually limited to OD, Coyote or acu. Tactical Tailor makes a tear off adapter for the ones that don't tear off. Again, you have limited availability of colors, and your adding more thickness to your kit. Adding this you now have two rows of malice clips attached to your kit, plus the thickness of adapter.

So. Those of you who have actually had to use your ifaks, or have had to carry them on an actual op (ie: leo or .mil) please chime in here. Tell us what style you prefer and why.
View Quote

I went with the Chinook TMK-IFAK (LINKY). It holds what I need securely, it's easy to access, the insert is tethered so you don't lose it in the dark, size is the same as a dual-mag pouch, and it's easy-access. Very well-made. I'm spoiled to this thing now. Even has a location at the bottom of the case for a tourniquet (I carry a SOFFT center of my armor, and a SWAT-T on the TMK case). I usually carry it on my left side on my armor or harness (can reach it with either hand). The tether for the insert allows me to locate it after deployment wherever it is most comfortable to work from. A bit pricey, but after going through half-a-dozen other IFAK cases, this one was the most flexible in actual use.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 6:56:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HecklerKoch_USP] [#34]

HSGI Bleeder -- not shown in picture is my CAT-TQ.

Contents include: Izzy bandage, TK4 TQ (secondary), Quick Clot, iodine packets, alcohol swabs, duct tape, scissors, latex gloves
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Just made my own IFAKs I've been wanting to do for some time, finally got around to it.  When I make pouches, there are at least 3 layers.  The outer Cordura, in this case, 500D, a layer of padded insulation for pouch form, contents protection, and added durability, and an inner layer of lightweight packcloth that I can sew the elastic or other internal features to without perforating the outer Cordura.

I learned at SOMTB that you really need a lot of gauze and Ace Wraps for most bleeders.  This is meant to be a bleeder-focused hemorrhage control blow-out kit, with whatever additional items I like to have, like stats, sheers, IV starters, gloves, occlusive dressings, tape, tourniquets, and things a medic would commonly need without having to break open his full M5/Medic Pack.  It leaves a lot of options still open to you, even after being fully stocked with the basics, without growing obese.  The center divider handles instruments and small items well, and the elastic for gauze and Ace are staggered from each other so the pouch still closes into a low profile.  This one is 3 MOLLE wide, and I'm thinking about a 2-wide lower profile IFAK as well.

I'm making these for my sons, who are going into service soon.  Oldest one already signed his initial paperwork.

Link Posted: 12/24/2016 12:11:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Upgraded another one I made.

Link Posted: 12/24/2016 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#38]
For my first line immediate access blow-out kit I am a proponent of keeping it super simple.
The fewer items to dig through the better IMO.

My immediate access kit is a HSGI "Bleeder Blowout" pouch with EMT shears, a 6" Israeli bandage and a Blue Force "Tourniquet Now" holding a SOF-T.
It either rides on the front of my plate carrier or if not wearing the PC it goes on my left hip just behind my pistol magazines.
That covers my immediate stay alive, stay conscious, slow/stop the loss needs.

I then have a much more extensive kit in another pouch that is also easy to access in order to sustain life.

Here it is mounted to my PC.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Just to clarify.

I'm basing my IFAK design on real-world experiences with numerous high velocity penetrations and perforations from GSW and fragmentation through living tissue, to include my own.

I've seen and treated quite a few GSWs, including thoracic and limb injuries, through the echelons of care.

We used a lot of gauze and Ace wraps to deal with these types of injuries during the initial treatment to stop the bleeding and maintain pressure, while getting IV lines started without running fluid initially, as to not blow our clots.

I have seen quite a few close range rifle injuries, to include M855 and 7.62mm weapons, as well as 9mm and blast fragmentation injuries.

I was shot with 9mm, with 2 through-and-through wound paths that bled with the consistency of a drinking fountain, cartoon-like really.

The rifle injuries that I have seen were worse, except for one where we weren't sure if it was just rock fragments that caused the injury to one of my buddy's tricepcs, or a deflected machinegun projectile.

This is why I include a lot of space for gauze, Ace wraps, T-quets, and IV starters, as well as instruments someone with higher training can use.  Anyone that has the training and experience I'm talking about will recognize right away what everything is for.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#40]
The one time I was shot was while seated in the drivers seat of a vehicle.
I was shot from about 6' away through the passenger window, took a through and through .357mag to the left forearm breaking both the ulna and radius.
Trying to drive a standard one handed (shifting and steering) while holding pressure at the same time with the same hand is a bitch.
Yes gunshot wounds can bleed... a lot.
A bandage that can easily be secured in place one handed and a tourniquet that can be affixed one handed are a must.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 1:49:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By NM_desert_rat:
The one time I was shot was while seated in the drivers seat of a vehicle.
I was shot from about 6' away through the passenger window, took a through and through .357mag to the left forearm breaking both the ulna and radius.
Trying to drive a standard one handed (shifting and steering) while holding pressure at the same time with the same hand is a bitch.
Yes gunshot wounds can bleed... a lot.
A bandage that can easily be secured in place one handed and a tourniquet that can be affixed one handed are a must.
View Quote

Any recommendations on as to these?  There seems to be a mix of opinions online as to which are better and it's hard to tell if the counterfeits that can be found online are skewing opinions or if one is really better than the other.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:
Any recommendations on as to these?  There seems to be a mix of opinions online as to which are better and it's hard to tell if the counterfeits that can be found online are skewing opinions or if one is really better than the other.
View Quote

I use a Israeli bandage and a SOF-T.
Like everything else they key is training and practice.
Buy two SOF-T's, one for your med-kit and one to practice with. My "real" ones are either black or orange, my training/practice one is blue.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:
View Quote

Get training.  Everything will make sense then.

No product will solve your problems without an 80/20 ratio of training/product.

You'll be able to make your own decisions then, knowing what it is that you need.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#45]
TommyTrauma either wrote or said something awhile back that has always stuck with me...And that was that direct pressure and a dressing can fix a large percentage of the wounds you run into. I like to keep a lot of dressings around. I'n not the guy who is going to stick you with a 14 ga needle or run a Line. I'm the guy that's gonna try and stop leaking holes until I can get you someone better trained then me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I have been very fortunate to be in the "not shot" category.  I have treated many GSWs though.  I'm all for starting an IV, fluids, and eventually blood products will be used at some point.  But IVs are secondary to wound packing/bandaging (tertiary if you add in TQs).  Any sort of roller or folded gauze plus an ace wrap is where it's at.  Israeli bandages or any of the like work, but with injuries from higher velocity rounds, wound packing is more paramount, and these dressings only bandage the outside of the wound.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#47]
bump for this not to die
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#48]
I may just be Air Force Security Forces, but I'm one of maybe 5 people (of ~200 in my unit) who actually carries an IFAK or even just a TQ on my duty gear. I try to stress to everyone the importance of carrying the equipment and maintaining the ability to use it effectively regardless of the slim likelihood of them ever needing to use it, but it never sticks. The mindset is always "nothing can ever happen here, it's _______ in the middle of the USA. We'll get that training before we deploy." Really unfortunate, but that seems to be the culture of most of the career field.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Shameless bump. I'm looking for the slimmest/flattest horizontal belt mountable med pouch possible that can accommodate a flat folded windlass TQ, hemostatic gauze, gloves and a 4" pressure bandage. Is the BFG Micro TKN my best option, and can/will it hold what I need it to? I have yet to see one in person so I'm having a hard time gauging its actual size and capacity.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Not sure about the BFG pouch, but LBT's 9022B pouch will fit all that in a very slim package.
Page / 10
Let's talk med pouches (Page 9 of 10)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top