User Panel

Let's talk med pouches (Page 10 of 10)
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 9:35:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unine] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 0uTkAsT:
Shameless bump. I'm looking for the slimmest/flattest horizontal belt mountable med pouch possible that can accommodate a flat folded windlass TQ, hemostatic gauze, gloves and a 4" pressure bandage. Is the BFG Micro TKN my best option, and can/will it hold what I need it to? I have yet to see one in person so I'm having a hard time gauging its actual size and capacity.
View Quote
I think the BFG Micro TKN is too small for the items you listed. (especially the TQ)
Recommend watching the videos on their product page to get a better idea of size.

I am very satisfied with mine, but as with all things there are trades.  
Another option for low profile belt mount might be this along with the Dark Angel TQ Holder.

Additional pics with Sharpie for size reference:

Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The BFG pouch will hold plenty of necessary items, however the TQ is not going to fit.

If you are ok with mounting the TQ to you gear separately or on the outside of the BFG pouch you are likely ok.

Side note:  I am really glad to see this thread moving again!
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By unine:I think the BFG Micro TKN is too small for the items you listed. (especially the TQ)
Recommend watching the videos on their product page to get a better idea of size.

Another option for low profile belt mount might be this along with the Dark Angel TQ Holder.

https://s7.postimg.org/c5kjm63iz/BFGMicro1.jpg
https://s7.postimg.org/ok7bmi2qz/BFGMicro2.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By unine:I think the BFG Micro TKN is too small for the items you listed. (especially the TQ)

https://s7.postimg.org/c5kjm63iz/BFGMicro1.jpg
https://s7.postimg.org/ok7bmi2qz/BFGMicro2.jpg
Thanks for the pictures and link to the videos, I was looking on a retailer's page and didn't think to check BFG's own website.
Originally Posted By Badaim:
Not sure about the BFG pouch, but LBT's 9022B pouch will fit all that in a very slim package.
Thanks for the tip on the LBT pouch, I'll check it out.
Originally Posted By RayJaxShooter:
The BFG pouch will hold plenty of necessary items, however the TQ is not going to fit.

If you are ok with mounting the TQ to you gear separately or on the outside of the BFG pouch you are likely ok.

Side note:  I am really glad to see this thread moving again!
Thanks, and yes, I am trying to avoid mounting the TQ separately. It sounds like the Micro TKN in conjunction with a Phlster FlatPak would be a good combo, but I'd really like everything under one roof. It's turning out to be more of a struggle than I anticipated without getting in to some fat GP or IFAK pouches and even more of a struggle factoring in the horizontal orientation and 1.5" belt mounting capability I'm after.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#4]
For what it's worth, I found exactly what I'm looking for and it wasn't mentioned above so maybe this will help someone else in the same boat.

Rescue Essentials sells what they call a "Plain Clothes Carry Zippered Pouch" and it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for:
This is the pouch that holds our Plain Clothes Carry Kit. It is small (6" x 4" x .75")  and discreet, yet capable of handling up to 24 cubic inches of first aid or trauma supplies. It is a true organizer, with two full panel inside pockets and four elastic retainer loops. Robust construction is complemented with double zipper pulls for easy opening. This pouch will hold all generations of SOFT-T windlass tourniquets. When filled, it fits easily into a jacket pocket, and has bidirectional straps on the back that allow it to be belt-mounted both vertically and horizontally.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2017 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats and thanks for the update.  If your willing, would be interested in a fully loaded pic and list of contents whenever you are done.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 11:37:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 0uTkAsT] [#6]
Originally Posted By unine:
Congrats and thanks for the update.  If your willing, would be interested in a fully loaded pic and list of contents whenever you are done.
View Quote
I absolutely would, but I have another update... Unfortunately the pictures on Rescue Essentials' website are not up to date, and they've changed that pouch to add three rows of MOLLE to the front and swapped the red zipper pulls for black

Size-wise it fits the bill, but I'm not sure if I'm still going to get it. Part of the point was to have something that didn't scream "tactical", and they killed that by blacking it out and slapping that MOLLE crap all over the front
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 1:53:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boats75] [#7]
I know this opens from the top but looks like it might fit the need for a low pro belt mount kit with TQ. Looks like you could use a Raven Concealment Moduloader Frame on it instead of the Malice clips if you so desired.

http://darkangelmedical.com/edc-kit/

I carry their Pocket DARK Mini kit in my front pants pocket as my EDC. I also keep the Pocket DARK Junior with a CAT tourniquet and Hyfin Vent Chest Seals in a pocket on my man purse/lap top bag that goes pretty much everywhere I do.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 2:41:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 0uTkAsT] [#8]
Originally Posted By Boats75:
I know this opens from the top but looks like it might fit the need for a low pro belt mount kit with TQ. Looks like you could use a Raven Concealment Moduloader Frame on it instead of the Malice clips if you so desired.

http://darkangelmedical.com/edc-kit/

I carry their Pocket DARK Mini kit in my front pants pocket as my EDC. I also keep the Pocket DARK Junior with a CAT tourniquet and Hyfin Vent Chest Seals in a pocket on my man purse/lap top bag that goes pretty much everywhere I do.
View Quote
That is definitely slimmer than what I have now and not too tall, but the pouch itself doesn't appear to be available separately. I'd prefer to migrate the contents I already have, but this is a good option if nothing else works out.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 2:57:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boats75] [#9]
Best part about Dark Angel if you have to use the kit to save a life they'll replace it. Luckily I've never had to take them up on the offer.

Before I bought their kit I built my own. I took the items I had from my old kit, threw them in a Ziploc bag and keep them in my range bag. Just a thought, ultimately your money your call.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Boats75:
Best part about Dark Angel if you have to use the kit to save a life they'll replace it....
View Quote
Agreed.  I have DARK kit as well.  Definitely, recommend their class if you have the opportunity.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone had experience with both the Chinook Medical IFAK pouch and the Dark Angel?  I'm curious as to how they compare.  Right now I'm leaning towards the Chinook.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#12]
bump
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:47:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: QuickReactions] [#13]
Alright, I volunteer as tribute to get going again. I have a few different varieties. The first one I ever bought was a TacMed Solutions Operator's IFAK. It usually sits in my shooting bag for range use. My duty plate carrier has a Dark Angel Medical D.A.R.K. Gen 3, and I've got another one sitting in my closet as a spare. On my personal AVS I have an ATS fold out med tray in a TT triple M4 pouch, and a separate NAR CAT pouch right next to it. My primary assault pack (MR Komodo Dragon) has an ATS medium GP pouch on the side with an issued Phokus group IFAK that's supposed to fit behind your front plate (no thanks) stuffed inside of it, my other work backpack has a vacuum sealed trauma kit refill that I was given by my previous unit (nice and flat so doesn't take up much space), and finally I've got an HSGI Bleeder as a GSW kit on my battle belt.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:
Has anyone had experience with both the Chinook Medical IFAK pouch and the Dark Angel?  I'm curious as to how they compare.  Right now I'm leaning towards the Chinook.
View Quote

I just received my dark angel slim kit and I am very happy with the quality of the pouch and insert. It is a little pricey at $200 but you can supposedly send in the kit in the event it is actually used and they will refill/replace it. Of course you could just by any pouch from $20-100 and the supplies separately and probably come out around $150 total but the convenience of buying all together is nice, and the decomp needle is a little harder to come by separately. I spent about $125 on my trex kit buying the pouch and supplies separately and it’s smaller but not as well stocked
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 12:34:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#15]
As an inexpensive tear-away pouch, this has been working well for me:
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Has plenty of room for what I carry: Shears, 4" compression bandage, Celox applicator, hemostatic gauze, 2 vented chest seals, TQ, wipes & gloves.

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Tomac:
As an inexpensive tear-away pouch, this has been working well for me: www.amazon.com/dp/B08LVQJD5C

Has plenty of room for what I carry: Shears, 4" compression bandage, Celox applicator, hemostatic gauze, 2 vented chest seals, TQ, wipes & gloves.

Tomac
View Quote

Well I can’t NOT order one....😬
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I know this might be a longshot; but, could anyone recommend an IFAK pouch that DOES NOT use zippers? It is difficult to find a US Army surplus multicam one online (at a decent price).
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By joker581:

SOTech Viper.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By joker581:
Originally Posted By Beetle:
I know this might be a longshot; but, could anyone recommend an IFAK pouch that DOES NOT use zippers? It is difficult to find a US Army surplus multicam one online (at a decent price).

SOTech Viper.

@joker581 Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, it meets the requirement; but is over twice as expensive as a surplus US Army IFAK pouch. Kinda defeats the purpose, right?
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Not sure what your budget is going off your last post, but I've been happy with my LTC Responder pouch. Holds everything I need and nothing I don't for a belt mounted IFAK.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DEDX:

Not sure what your budget is going off your last post, but I've been happy with my LTC Responder pouch. Holds everything I need and nothing I don't for a belt mounted IFAK.
View Quote

The budget is of course for an EMPTY pouch that is at the same price or cheaper than a us army surplus multicam IFAK pouch/insert.

Like I said, the question was a long shot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:31:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#23]
I pieced together my own IFAK contents. I'm not a big fan of the kits I've seen that are sold as a package deal.  I'm a big fan though of the Israeli combat bandages, which are a bit bulky and I know not everyone likes them for that reason, but I like how easy they are to use under pressure and quick they are.  For me, I always want a few pairs of non-latex gloves as well, I see so many guys with just one pair and I've seen those things rip or guys discard them and then "oh man, I need them again."  

In terms of chest seals I have both the Halo and the Hyfin Compact, I highly prefer the Hyfin Compact, because the Halo packaging is just huge.  I know some guys like the Halo, and if size wasn't an issue at all I'd much rather have the Halo on hand.  It's just for my IFAK the size of the Halo was too big. I'm planning on doing a much more extensive stand alone Medical Pack with a lot more kit and the Halos will go inside it.  

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:08:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Headlice] [#24]
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:07:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: berserker19] [#25]
You do not want the issued pouch, it is total garbage. Nothing wrong with zipper pouches. I prefer them because they keep the dust out. Zip closure pouch that Velcros to a molle base and tears off is best of both worlds imo

Another great option if you absolutely cannot have zippers is a pull out insert shoved into a Velcro or fastex closure mag or utility pouch. The ATS one is a good product.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Has anyone had any hands on experience with the HSGI ReFlex IFAC?

Link Posted: 11/9/2020 12:30:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By berserker19:
You do not want the issued pouch, it is total garbage. Nothing wrong with zipper pouches. I prefer them because they keep the dust out. Zip closure pouch that Velcros to a molle base and tears off is best of both worlds imo

Another great option if you absolutely cannot have zippers is a pull out insert shoved into a Velcro or fastex closure mag or utility pouch. The ATS one is a good product.
View Quote

Out of curiosity,  what don't you like about the issued poich?

@berserker19
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 6:22:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

Out of curiosity,  what don't you like about the issued poich?

@berserker19
View Quote

The molle footprint is huge for an ifak and it’s hard to actually find a spot to fit it. When filled it is absolutely massive and bulky for the stuff it holds. The retention of the insert is terrible, it always is trying to work itself out of the shell no matter how you pack it. So it pops out during a battle drill and you end up dragging it behind you with the cable like an idiot.  It’s like the designer thought the soldier using it is a total moron, labeling each spot for you. Yea thanks I know what a bandage looks like without you printing it on the pouch.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By berserker19:

The molle footprint is huge for an ifak and it’s hard to actually find a spot to fit it. When filled it is absolutely massive and bulky for the stuff it holds. The retention of the insert is terrible, it always is trying to work itself out of the shell no matter how you pack it. So it pops out during a battle drill and you end up dragging it behind you with the cable like an idiot.  It’s like the designer thought the soldier using it is a total moron, labeling each spot for you. Yea thanks I know what a bandage looks like without you printing it on the pouch.
View Quote

This. And it also doesn't contain chest seals somehow.....
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#30]
The T-Rex Arms medical kit is pretty nice if you're look for a small belt worn one.  I have it and I like that it has the belt loops for attachment, make it sit very tight on the belt.  The insert kit they offer is pretty good for the size as well.  Overall, very pleased with it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Are there any good options for using a Dangler-type pouch for medical?
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Zakk_Wylde_470:
View Quote

I can't find them in stock, but the Haley Strategic Multi-Mission Hanger Medical Insert looks promising.  

The Shaw Concepts Raid pouch is pretty nice and would do well as a Medical hanger pouch. Some good reviews on Youtube, it's pretty big though.

Ferro Concepts has been teasing for awhile a medical roll-up type hanger that looks interesting, but with the demands they've had for their current product line it could be awhile before we see it come to market.

Link Posted: 11/9/2020 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:

I can't find them in stock, but the Haley Strategic Multi-Mission Hanger Medical Insert looks promising.  

The Shaw Concepts Raid pouch is pretty nice and would do well as a Medical hanger pouch. Some good reviews on Youtube, it's pretty big though.

Ferro Concepts has been teasing for awhile a medical roll-up type hanger that looks interesting, but with the demands they've had for their current product line it could be awhile before we see it come to market.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zakk_Wylde_470:

Haha, I was just coming back to say I might have answered my own question with the HSP insert.  I went ahead and ordered their hanger, I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for the insert.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 3:00:35 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

I bought some <$15 dangler off Amazon. Have been running it downrange for months now as an IFAK, and I am very impressed. Wish the velcro was a bit better on it, but it has never fallen off or come loose or anything. Just not as secure as the hook and loop that is on my actual kit.

" />
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ThickkSarge:

I bought some <$15 dangler off Amazon. Have been running it downrange for months now as an IFAK, and I am very impressed. Wish the velcro was a bit better on it, but it has never fallen off or come loose or anything. Just not as secure as the hook and loop that is on my actual kit.

https://i.ibb.co/DVqXHNT/IMG-20201024-191144-317.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.ibb.co/DVqXHNT/IMG-20201024-191144-317.jpg
View Quote

If it works it work.

I think the hangers makes a lot of sense for an IFAK unless you're Airborne or otherwise jumping or doing a lot of water work (velcro doesn't like water) I'd say they'd be good choice.  I like my set-up so that I can sit down in a vehicle or otherwise for that matter so I'm not a fan of having bulky stuff on my sides or back.  

Some velcro will wear over time. In fact, I find the multicam velcro actually seems to wear a bit sooner for some reason so watch out for anything with multicam velcro.  I know at least on my Patagonia L9 the velcro on those pants wears out and they suck if you have to be in the water for a long period with them.  I used to wonder why the Navy likes everything to have a button, now I know.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#36]

If it works it work.

I think the hangers makes a lot of sense for an IFAK unless you're Airborne or otherwise jumping or doing a lot of water work (velcro doesn't like water) I'd say they'd be good choice.  I like my set-up so that I can sit down in a vehicle or otherwise for that matter so I'm not a fan of having bulky stuff on my sides or back.  

Some velcro will wear over time. In fact, I find the multicam velcro actually seems to wear a bit sooner for some reason so watch out for anything with multicam velcro.  I know at least on my Patagonia L9 the velcro on those pants wears out and they suck if you have to be in the water for a long period with them.  I used to wonder why the Navy likes everything to have a button, now I know.
View Quote

I have actually done quite a bit of repelling and FRIES and such with it, holds up great. It is great for a vehicle. I actually couldn't be happier with it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#37]

https://i.ibb.co/DVqXHNT/IMG-20201024-191144-317.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.ibb.co/DVqXHNT/IMG-20201024-191144-317.jpg
View All Quotes

Link?
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 5:55:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

Link?
View Quote

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RY7HPG8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Any feedback on this.....

North American Rescue
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By CTjer:
Any feedback on this.....

North American Rescue
View Quote

I have one. If you don't have access to regular medical equipment it works well. I got mine in sale around Christmas, for that price it was worth the cash. Compact, easy to manipulate, and fits well.

My only gripe is that it is a double magazine pouch off your molle webbing so placement took a while to figure out.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:03:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: enforcer5369] [#41]
Might get drug for my choice of pouch but it works for me and didn’t cost a fortune.

It’s a Condor EMT LITE tear away. I assembled the contents based on researching what was recommended. I didn’t include a vent needle because I don’t know how to use it. Everything else I’ve at least practiced on a dummy. I also added celox hemostatic gauze.

It’s at the 2 o’clock on my PC. I can reach the TQ with either hand as well as tear the pouch away. The pic doesn’t show the tq holster because I was waiting on my NAR OD green holster to come in.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:14:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: QuickReactions] [#42]
Originally Posted By enforcer5369:
Might get drug for my choice of pouch but it works for me and didn’t cost a fortune.

It’s a Condor EMT LITE tear away. I assembled the contents based on researching what was recommended. I didn’t include a vent needle because I don’t know how to use it. Everything else I’ve at least practiced on a dummy. I also added celox hemostatic gauze.

It’s at the 2 o’clock on my PC. I can reach the TQ with either hand as well as tear the pouch away. The pic doesn’t show the tq holster because I was waiting on my NAR OD green holster to come in.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/104899/8EF10DE3-32E5-45B3-81A4-9EC9E5EBD11D_jpe-1846218.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/104899/002F427E-5D42-4724-9515-2119CA92D1E8_jpe-1846219.JPG
View Quote

There's nothing wrong with having a needle, even if you don't know how to use it. Maybe a buddy who does is near you, or even a rando in the area who used to be a 68W or corpsman or something. Besides, your IFAK is for you or others to use on you, and I'm pretty sure that if you're to the point where you have a tension pneumothorax that needs decompression, you'll be in no condition to use that thing on yourself.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By QuickReactions:

There's nothing wrong with having a needle, even if you don't know how to use it. Maybe a buddy who does is near you, or even a rando in the area who used to be a 68W or corpsman or something. Besides, your IFAK is for you or others to use on you, and I'm pretty sure that if you're to the point where you have a tension pneumothorax that needs decompression, you'll be in no condition to use that thing on yourself.
View Quote

Good point
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Really good thread. Read it all the way through. Interesting how information and tactics change over the course of 13 years.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I have an hsgi BB pouch thats old tbh and I never actually got around to filling it out.
Whats a good kit to make good use of the size of the pouch and what are good shears for the shears slot on the backside?
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 6:46:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Terrato] [#46]
After taking TNVC Night Fighter 101, I decided I needed re-work my belt. They were very prescriptive about everyone having an IFAK on their person, not in a range bag. I had a TQ on my belt, but nothing else medical.

Having experienced a spinal injury (extremely painful, but not permanently damaging) during a Defensive Tactics session long ago, I am extremely wary about having any gear on my belt positioned on my back.

I stripped off a dump pouch (never used it, even in bad weather) and a second rifle mag pouch. Even after removing those, a couple of the larger IFAKs I tried seemed like a huge barnacle, likely to get caught on things in the environment, and a potential source of injury in a fall.

Looking through my nylon gear box, I found an old smoke grenade pouch. I was able to cram a TQ, Israeli bandage, and gloves into it, without being substantially larger than the rifle magazine it replaced. It is easily reachable on my support side, with a second TQ available on my strong side. All of that stuff is well clear of my spine. I feel like this a significant upgrade over what I had on my belt before.

I will of course have a complete set of med gear in a tear-away IFAK on my range bag as well, in case things get really sporty.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

HSGI Bleeder Blowout doesn't use zippers, but you're also extremely limited on space. Pretty sure all I was able to cram inside of mine was a 4" israeli bandage, an NPA, and a pair of shears in the back MOLLE webbing. I had to pirate the hair tie stash in my fiancee's bathroom drawer to secure my CAT to the outside until I bought one of those BFG TQ NOW straps.
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Let's talk med pouches (Page 10 of 10)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top