Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 9:27:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aswrg7] [#2]
Whoops, double tap.  Been having interweb problems here.
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#3]
which +1 extension tube would you get?

there seems to be a variety out there...

is there one that's better than another or are they all pretty much the same?
$40-55 range
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 11:29:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: irag2362] [#5]
hey Guys, just picked up a new 870 along with a blackhawk spec ops folder.. I havent fired it yet as I am still not sure if I like the way it fits into my shoulder, i liked the idea about the reduced recoil and may swap it for their M4 style , any thoughts?

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SpecOps-Folder-Shotgun-Stock,1156,165.htm
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 12:46:05 AM EDT
[#6]
any chance you have measurements for the length or your stocks off the gun?  I'm looking to shorten one, but I'd like to not have to put it on the gun, take it off, put it on...etc.  Also, how do put a recoil pad on your now shortened stock?
Link Posted: 12/5/2010 6:18:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shoresy] [#7]

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:

Originally Posted By aswrg7:

Any thoughts on heat shields and pistol grip stocks?

IMHO, heat shields add weight and nothing else.

Pistol grips come in two types.

1.  Pistol grip only (PGO) - These are worthless and should never be used for self defense.  No shotgun training class I am aware of will even allow you to show up with a PGO shotgun.  Put a stock on your shotgun. A full stock allows you to shoulder the shotgun and aim.  If you do not aim a shotgun, you will miss.  It also allows you to keep it on your shoulder while you reload the gun.

2.  Stocks with pistol grip - These are regular stocks with a pistol grip, much like an AR-15 stock.  These are a matter of taste.  I thought I wanted one, but after playing around with one for a while, I found that a regular stock was much more comfortable to me.  Try one out of you can before investing in one.

I couldn't agree more. After trying a bunch of different designs over the years, I prefer the regular setup too.

Respect to the OP for a great write-up.
Link Posted: 12/5/2010 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Picked up this for all of $50. Missing some parts but I'm gonna try and build myself something suitable to be posted in this thread.

Link Posted: 12/7/2010 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By TobyLazur:

any chance you have measurements for the length or your stocks off the gun? I'm looking to shorten one, but I'd like to not have to put it on the gun, take it off, put it on...etc. Also, how do put a recoil pad on your now shortened stock?

I will post a write-up on shortening wood stocks soon. I already have the pictures.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 3:57:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sixxxgun] [#10]
Originally Posted By DrGeoz:
i did just that...

-shortened the length of pull for my short arms
-added a night sight
-cut the barrel to 12" where it's more manageable
-added grippy rubber stock set

http://robinorobino.smugmug.com/Other/Fabulous-me/004/813929755_cxwGu-O.jpg

Wow  mean machine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#11]
i did just that...

-added a night sight

I'll be in my bunk.

That thing is bad-ass.

Link Posted: 1/6/2011 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TexasRifleman:

any chance you have measurements for the length or your stocks off the gun? I'm looking to shorten one, but I'd like to not have to put it on the gun, take it off, put it on...etc. Also, how do put a recoil pad on your now shortened stock?

I will post a write-up on shortening wood stocks soon. I already have the pictures.

Texas, any word on that write up for the stock shortening process?
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 11:37:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Mudfoot:

waiting for the write up too
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By irag2362:
Originally Posted By Mudfoot:

waiting for the write up too

I would love to cut down my ATI Folder a couple of inches.. not sure how well Plastic Holds up..

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Done!!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jonrowe2020:
keltec shotgun...
Done!!!

I was wondering when someone was going to post one of those lol.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#18]

I have a stock Mossberg heat shield on my 500 and it doesn't weight that much at all. Yes it adds weight but doesn't feel like anything significant. Besides keeping your barrel from getting really hot it also allows you to add a rail assembly mounted on the bottom of it like this product:

I have this exact model on mine and it is awesome! Very convenient! I have a Surefire and a sling loop mounted on to it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By MP0117:

i did just that...

-added a night sight

I'll be in my bunk.

That thing is bad-ass.

Hell yeah.

Link Posted: 2/27/2011 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Mossberg 500A
Does anyone make an (I'm guessing on the name of this part) extended action lock lever?
With a pistol grip stock on, the grip tends to get in the way of the pump release (what I'm calling the action lock lever) and it makes for a sketchy cocking in of a new round
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 3:27:36 AM EDT
[#21]

I have really been eye balling the KSG and might just pull the trigger on one. I don't have a shotgun in my collection yet and try to keep things tactical so this is right up my alley. Anybody shot one of these yet or even handled one maybe at Shotshow, if so what did you think?

Thanks,
Kirch

Link Posted: 7/14/2011 12:18:24 AM EDT
[#22]

Schwing!  
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#23]
what did you all use to mount a sling on the rear of 870 leo folder
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 7:36:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexasRifleman] [#24]
Originally Posted By cv0lv0g0:

The PFS-87 Remington factory folding stock?

It has a OEM sling loop that goes in the hinge pin. I've made my own before, as well.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#25]

The PFS-12 Remington factory folding stock?

It has a OEM sling loop that goes in the hinge pin. I've made my own before, as well.

thx I've been worried i couldn't find one
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 10:35:26 PM EDT
[#26]

The PFS-87 Remington factory folding stock?

Eta: this is one i made with a cup swivel. It replaces the factory hinge pin.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I was trying to hunt down an uncle mike qd swivel. They made a model in the 90s that worked exactly like that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Pistol grips come in two types.

1.  Pistol grip only (PGO) - These are worthless and should never be used for self defense.  No shotgun training class I am aware of will even allow you to show up with a PGO shotgun.  Put a stock on your shotgun. A full stock allows you to shoulder the shotgun and aim.  If you do not aim a shotgun, you will miss.  It also allows you to keep it on your shoulder while you reload the gun.

2.  Stocks with pistol grip - These are regular stocks with a pistol grip, much like an AR-15 stock.  These are a matter of taste.  I thought I wanted one, but after playing around with one for a while, I found that a regular stock was much more comfortable to me.  Try one out of you can before investing in one.

I picked up a Speedfeed IV stock set on ebay a few years back.  I've noticed 2 issues with it.  The first is that their pistol grip just feels too skinny for my hand.  I've come to the conclusion that if I want that kind of stock one of the AR stock and grip conversions will be the way to go so I can pick a grip that fits my hand better.  The other, probably more serious issue is muscle memory.  With the pistol grip/shoulder stock combo, I keep trying to take the safety off with my thumb, just like I do with an AR.  Obviously this doesn't work very well on an 870.  With the regular stock I use my index finger for the safety just like my 10-22, Model 60, etc. all the way back to the BB gun I had when I was a kid.  It's a natural thing with that kind of stock, just as flicking a thumb safety is with a pistol gripped stock.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 12:43:21 AM EDT
[#29]
I've yet to see one.  I've been searching for about a year for one.  I saw a picture of one that someone welding an extension on straight down.  I'm planning on ordering a replacement Action Lock Lever and fabing up an extension the come out to the side to make it easier to actuate with your thumb on the pistol grip.  I'll post it when I get around to it in the new year.  It's such a simple part to modify.  People have been putting pistol grips on shotguns for years.  Why hasn't anyone come out with one yet?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Now that's sexy.. And KISS to boot.!! I'm not really a "shotgun guy" so I can't ID it from the darkish pic there.
What make/model is it and is it an NFA setup.?  Thanks.. d:^)  

i did just that...

-added a night sight

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#31]

What kind of Shotgun is this? Who Manufact?  It is sweet & compact!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#32]
KelTec KSG.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 12:21:16 AM EDT
[#33]
hey i was wondering if anyone uses their fighting shotguns for hunting?

Also if you do. Do you use the ghost sight or remove it to use just a bead?
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 3:01:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Jester123:

Hunting what? Since shotguns are used to hunt everything from tiny birds all the way up to bear and even elk a little more info is needed.

For things like medium to large game such as deer, hog and black bear or, if you have your barrel threaded for choke tubes (I do and suggest others do too), turkey there is little you need to do to your gun (maybe a mag plug depending on season and game animal). If you are swapping barrels for a longer one then all birds are open to you too.

I have gone hog hunting with my current tac. shotgun a few times, they work fine for close to medium range shots (<50 yards) I have also taken my shotgun dove hunting as a backup and decided to try it with a Lt MOD choke. It worked OK, but that extra barrel length really does help when bird hunting.
Link Posted: 3/6/2012 1:06:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By para_frame:

Hunting what? Since shotguns are used to hunt everything from tiny birds all the way up to bear and even elk a little more info is needed.

For things like medium to large game such as deer, hog and black bear or, if you have your barrel threaded for choke tubes (I do and suggest others do too), turkey there is little you need to do to your gun (maybe a mag plug depending on season and game animal). If you are swapping barrels for a longer one then all birds are open to you too.

I have gone hog hunting with my current tac. shotgun a few times, they work fine for close to medium range shots (<50 yards) I have also taken my shotgun dove hunting as a backup and decided to try it with a Lt MOD choke. It worked OK, but that extra barrel length really does help when bird hunting.

Well looks like ill keep my 28" barrel.  I am mainly talking about deer and skeet.  

Also if you have  a ghost ring sight do you remove it for hunting?
Link Posted: 3/6/2012 2:13:29 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't have any GRS but if I did I would leave them on for deer hunting (unless are scoping your shotgun at which point it wouldn't matter anyway). Obviously you should remove them when you switch to the 28 in. barrel for skeet and birds.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 2:14:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Searcherfortruth] [#37]
I ended up changing out my forearm to a Hogue, and it has a Mesa tactical 8 shell holder, and a larger safety button. I also added a Voodoo Tactical ammo pouch for the stock. When fully loaded I'm carrying 25 rounds of .00 buck.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 1:12:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Black-Tiger] [#38]
Originally Posted By Searcherfortruth:
I ended up changing out my forearm to a Hogue, and it has a Mesa tactical 8 shell holder, and a larger safety button. I also added a Voodoo Tactical ammo pouch for the stock. When fully loaded I'm carrying 25 rounds of .00 buck.  

I have a similar approach to my own 870; I already have the Mesa saddle (non-railed, 6 rounder) and the Hogue stock (black); I have the Wilson Combat GRSs and the Vangcomp Big Head Safety inbound and will have them installed as soon as they get home. Right now debating to either keep the Hogue or upgrade to a Magp SGA stock and replace the foregrip with a Surefire lighted one...

ETA - It's done...

All it needs now is to have it Cerakoted in FDE.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#39]
I see some really good looking and functional shottys.  I just recently picked up an 870 Tactical that has the breacher choke tube, XS sights, and 18" brl.  I am thinking that the Magpul Stock and forend may end up on it.  On the forend would it be feasible to have say a Streamlight TLR on it or would the forward/rear action of pumping cause a problem?  I want to also add a larger safety button.  I will be running a Aimpoint m4 until I can get a H1 or T1 on top.  Also what other chokes should I pick up.  Right now I have a 3 pt sling on it using a rear cuff and a Wilson front sling plate.  Eventually I will move to a 2 pt Vtac sling since I have one on my AR and love it.  Lastly, I see that there is a velcro shell holder––who makes that?
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Sumoj275: For chokes, I have several, but the only ones I really use a lot are the imp-cyl, which stays in the gun about 95% of the time, and the imp-mod, which I use to tighten up patterns a bit when practicing with bird shot. Other than that, I have a extra-full, turkey choke that I've used maybe 4-5 times, and an open cylinder that I use as a baseline when trying out new ammo. As for the breacher choke, I haven't used one personally, but I've heard more than one person say that it can actually throw larger-than-open-choke patterns with some ammo. They do look wicked, though.

Also, congratulations on the new 870!
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 3:52:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FloridaOccifer] [#41]
Excellent examples!
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#42]

My 590A1 is my go to gun. It has already taken a few squirrels this year and hopefully will have some luck once deer and bear season opens. 20 inch barrel with GRS.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:12:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: smokintonye] [#43]

My 590A1 is also my HD/ hunting gun. Taking it out this weekend for Deer season! I have a SPX coming to that I might have a Choke system threaded for it so it's more multi purpose.

I'm still working on getting a rear sight for it
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Any of you guys hear of Choate Machine & Tool? They make some really nice shotgun stocks that are fixed but you can add spacers and various butt pads to em to increase or decrease the LOP. I'm getting this one for my 870 soon and I'm very excited for it. They also make a longer version as well.

http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/SGS/01-01-38
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:36:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Airforcewes:
Any of you guys hear of Choate Machine & Tool? They make some really nice shotgun stocks that are fixed but you can add spacers and various butt pads to em to increase or decrease the LOP. I'm getting this one for my 870 soon and I'm very excited for it. They also make a longer version as well.

Those are absolutely good to go. Very tough, no moving parts. Excellent stocks, even if they are ugly as hell.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:50:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Is there any real problem with installing a +3 extension on an 18.5" barrel?
Other than it sticking out a bit past the barrel?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:57:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By HellioN:

The extra weight up front throws off the balance of the shotgun.
Link Posted: 12/31/2012 4:23:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Nope...3 gun shooters do it all the time... that said, it's ugly.

Originally Posted By HellioN:

Link Posted: 12/31/2012 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By para_frame:

I don't have any GRS but if I did I would leave them on for deer hunting (unless are scoping your shotgun at which point it wouldn't matter anyway). Obviously you should remove them when you switch to the 28 in. barrel for skeet and birds.

I like the punisher logo on the stock. Great looking shotgun Marine.

Semper Fi

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 1:17:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By cerberus1:
Originally Posted By Airforcewes:

Those are absolutely good to go. Very tough, no moving parts. Excellent stocks, even if they are ugly as hell.

Come on now, they aren't THAT ugly!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top