Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 3:35:00 PM EDT
My parkerized SA 1911A1 needs to be essentially dripping with lube to operate reliably for any length of time.  Which leads me to a few questions:

Is this normal for this finish ?  I've owned it for more than 10 years and it's always been this way. I just assumed it was normal.

Would you:

Sell and buy one with a different finish?
or
Have it refinished?  I like it but would probably replace the ramps with something more useful which would add to the cost and probably make option 1 more reasonable.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#1]
That sounds like a good excuse for a hard chrome finish.

If you don't want to spend that much, Teflon based finishes are also pretty nice.

As for the lube problem, I don't think that's normal. What kind of failures are you having?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]
If not dripping, the slide slows down to the point it's not only noticeable but won't reliably eject the spent round.

It probably has less than 2000 rounds through it…

It’s always done this but does seem worse lately.

Yost?  Info please..

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#5]
change the recoil spring out with a stronger ,higher weight,wolf spring.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#7]
No, no paticular magazine, happens with all of them.  I think I will change the recoil spring, it's the original and may very well be part of, if not the entire problem. That never occured to me.  Anything else I should change while I'm ordering parts?  With the exception of the slow slide it seems to function fine.  I think I'll order a stock spring and and extra power one just to see if it makes a difference..

Thanks guys

BD
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:31:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My parkerized SA 1911A1 needs to be essentially dripping with lube to operate reliably for any length of time.  Which leads me to a few questions:

Is this normal for this finish ?  I've owned it for more than 10 years and it's always been this way. I just assumed it was normal.

WWII USGIs were parkerized I think that should answer the question about the finish playing a role in your reliability problem.

a non-historic/collector's pistol owned for 10 years and has less than 2,000 rounds through it???????
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:39:03 AM EDT
[#9]
^regardless  

after 2,000 rnds through it all contact surfaces should be worn down enough to eliminate that as the cause I"d look at the recoil spring.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#10]
"a non-historic/collector's pistol owned for 10 years and has less than 2,000 rounds through it???????"

yup, sad I know.....don't get out shooting as much as I'd like.

Going to order the calibration pack from wolf.  hope that helps, I really like the weapon. and a $1000 package from YOST aint in the cards!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top