Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 8:11:10 PM EDT

I have a cheap Rock Island Arms that is my first 1911 and it has been a excellent gun.  I figured I would give the 1911 a try on a budget and if I like it I would invest a little more on a nicer gun.  But the RIA has really been surprisingly nice and 100% reliable.
My only complaint is the small standard military sights.  I want to replace them with something that fits in the standard military rear dovetail and is staked on in the front.  I want to do this based on my budget but also just to try to keep a clean simple military “look” to it.  One of my choices is the Kings Gun Works Hardball sights installed by Kings.  This should only run around $75 installed.  My other option would be to send the slide to Yost bonitz and have them install their retro rear and silver solder a custom ramped front in. This could run up to $165 but is a real quality job like all their work
So my question is does any one have any experience with either one of these set ups?  Is there any others you would suggest?  I know the Yost is nicer but the price is more than half what I paid for the pistol.  Are the Kings sights any good? .  Like I said this is my first 1911 and from what I know I might have to file the front sight to adjust the elevation when I sight it in.   Are the Kings sights durable enough to be “cutting” on it?  Is the sight picture nice enough?  I will use it really just for fun “plinking” at the range so I don’t need night sights or anything fancy.  What would you suggest?  

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Millett Mark 1 sights are quite decent IMO.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:28:39 AM EDT
[#2]
There are quite a few different makers.

Novak comes to mind.
www.m1911.org/images/novaksit.jpg

Thanks for the link to those millet sights.  I saw those on a P14 I am thinking about getting... wasn't sure who made them since it is a trade in gun.

m1911.org has a whole listing of them.
www.m1911.org/full_parts.htm

Some of them that fit close to your critera
Ashley
www.m1911.org/images/ashley2.jpg

Caspian
www.m1911.org/images/caspian5.jpg

Clark
www.clarkcustomguns.com/images/clark91.jpg

Heinie
www.m1911.org/images/hein1.jpg
(I think this one requires milling of the slide)

Williams
www.m1911.org/images/i-see-you.jpg

There are more, but I'm tired, have to go home now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:29:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got the King's hardball sights on one of my 1911s, and they are good quality.  I would recommend their 3-dot version, since the black ones can be a bit difficult to pick up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top