Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 1:47:30 PM EDT
My new park'd SA Loaded is a very nice pistol (for the money). One item is bothering me a bit though. The extractor is protruding from the rear of the slide, just a bit (maybe a 32nd of an inch, or a bit more). Now my other SA doesn't do this, my Colt didn't do it.... I thought it was a definite issue, then noticed this pic of my model on SA's site....

As you can see, this one does it too!

I swapped out the stock for a Wilson bullet proof extractor, and it is about the same amount out (no fitting as yet, simply dropped it in).

I took the pistol to the range and fired 250 rounds through it, both ball and HP. In 250 rds, I had one FTF (minor, simply bumping the slide would have cleared it) at about round 75 (FMJ). Not the 100 % I was hoping for, but not as bad as some others I've dealt with. Thing shoots really nice, much easier to hit my poa than the 2 inch shorter Micro (duh).

So, is this a problem (the extractor sticking out) I should send the slide back to SA for, or is it just a quirk that won't effect performance?

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Cosmetic, Not a problem.
If It was too  long on the other end then you have to worry.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a problem function wise. If you don't like how it looks, grind/file/sand off the amount protruding and re-park or cold blue it.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the same thing happening with my TRP.  I removed the extractor and cleaned everything up real well.  There was quite a bit of "gunk" in there.  She's flush now.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I had the same thing happening with my TRP.  I removed the extractor and cleaned everything up real well.  There was quite a bit of "gunk" in there.  She's flush now.

Glad that worked for you, but it's not the case here. Actually, the extractor will go flush without the firing pin stop installed. It must be backed up a bit to instal the stop though. Problem isn't with the stop, it's the slide. Must've been machined a bit off. When extractor is allowed to go full forward (flush) the hook sits too deep and is adjacent to the case bevel. When brought back to engage the firing pin stop slot, the hook seems to be positioned correctly.

Now that you mention it though, my Micro Compact did have substantial gunk (extractor still sits flush though). I fit a Wilson Combat Bullet Proof extractor to it tonight, and it seems to be good. According to the tests I see online though, the stock extractor was close (perhaps a bit too tight). We'll see at the range tomorrow (still need to polish the ramp, want to pick up some flitz for polishing the ramp, was unable to find any tonight).

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Extractors are made with a little extra fat at the end so if guys wanted to finish it flush with the back of the slide they can. Not all slides are the same.

Looks like SA wanted to save some time and cost by not taking off the fat at the end of the extractor. No big deal, just do it yourself.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm glad to hear you worked it out.  I need to pick up a WC extractor as well.  And a slide lock, and a firing pin stop, and a hammer, and guide rod, and some new springs, and...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top