Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/27/2005 5:36:53 PM EDT
What is the deal with Wilson and Nighthawk? I just read an article and it seems like a bunch of disgruntled Wilson 'smiths up and started their own company. The article was very positive towards Nighthawk. I have pretty much convinced myself to go with a Wilson, unless of course the best talent from Wilson went to Nighthawk. Please fill me in on this one. Thanks.

Blake
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:45:48 PM EDT
tagged
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:02:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Blake:
What is the deal with Wilson and Nighthawk? I just read an article and it seems like a bunch of disgruntled Wilson 'smiths up and started their own company. The article was very positive towards Nighthawk. I have pretty much convinced myself to go with a Wilson, unless of course the best talent from Wilson went to Nighthawk. Please fill me in on this one. Thanks.

Blake

With my limited experience, all I can say is that Nighthawk is made up of alot of ex-wilson employees. Also, Nighthawk is a brandnew custom pistolsmithing company offering alot of different pistosl with alot of different options, and they are charging TOP dollar for their 1911s.

Take it for what it is worth..
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:49:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2005 6:56:41 PM EDT by Va_Dinger]

Blake

You seem to have it right.

Nighthawk is one of the top 1911 builders in the country. The company was started by a few ex Wilson Combat employees who went off on their own. I have heard nothing but positive things about their handy work. I got to handle one a few months ago at a gun shop. The fit and finish was perfect.

I can also personally verify that Wilson still builds great 1911's just like they always have. My CQB was built long after the Nighthawk employees had left. It’s absolutely perfect. Pick either company and you will be pleased.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:54:16 PM EDT
My CQB was built during "The Troubles" that were supposedly going on at Wilson before Nighthawk was formed, and contrary to the internet postings of poor quality workmanship, it's been +/- 2000 rounds of perfect. NH makes a good product, it just seems a little more pricey than it should be.(around here NH's CQB competitor is around $200 more than the CQB)
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:26:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Va_Dinger:

Blake

You seem to have it right.

Nighthawk is one of the top 1911 builders in the country. The company was started by a few ex Wilson Combat employees who went off on their own. I have heard nothing but positive things about their handy work. I got to handle one a few months ago at a gun shop. The fit and finish was perfect.

I can also personally verify that Wilson still builds great 1911's just like they always have. My CQB was built long after the Nighthawk employees had left. It’s absolutely perfect. Pick either company and you will be pleased.

I have two Wilson CQBs and three Wilson Protectors that were built after Nighthawk was formed. The pistols are "flawless" in fit and function. I would not hesitate for a moment to recommend a Wilson 1911. They are less expensive than a comparable Nighthawk and for my money I'll go with Wilson. Also while I'm not familiar with Nighthawk's customer service, I can tell you that Wilson's customer service is second to none. I have not had a single problem with any of my Wilson's, but from what I have heard from others their customer service may very well be the best in the industry. The first CQB I purchased was so completely accurate and so reliable that I did not hesitate for a moment to purchase others. IM MT_Pockets, he is a Wilson Combat Master Dealer and has the best prices on Wilson 1911s that I have found anywhere. Believe it or not after a combined total of well over 15,000 rounds I have not had a single failure of any kind.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:34:20 AM EDT
Good enough for me. I was surprised to read how supportive the magazine was of Nighthawk, and seemed to damn Wilson with faint praise. Perhaps Nighthawk chose to advertise with a little more $$$ to the company. Thanks for the replies.

Blake
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:01:08 PM EDT
Well,
When I was shopping for a semi-custom I went with Nighthawk. I figured that the 'smiths all know their stuff (from the "Wilson years") and since they were new, they would have good customer service. Boy, was I wrong...their customer service was amazing! There's a similar thread to this on the 1911forums. I think that the "bad blood" (if there really is any) will go away soon. FWIW, I heard that the reason they formed NH was because they wanted to be able to offer more custom options (as in my Talon...it really doesn't resemble the "regular" Talon). Anyway, I will buy another NH without hesitation. If I was able to get a CQB with the features I wanted, I would've gotten one of those too.

Rich
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:37:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 2:40:25 PM EDT by Va_Dinger]

Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Well,
When I was shopping for a semi-custom I went with Nighthawk. I figured that the 'smiths all know their stuff (from the "Wilson years") and since they were new, they would have good customer service. Boy, was I wrong...their customer service was amazing! There's a similar thread to this on the 1911forums. I think that the "bad blood" (if there really is any) will go away soon. FWIW, I heard that the reason they formed NH was because they wanted to be able to offer more custom options (as in my Talon...it really doesn't resemble the "regular" Talon). Anyway, I will buy another NH without hesitation. If I was able to get a CQB with the features I wanted, I would've gotten one of those too.

Rich

I have heard nothing but great things about Nighthawks customer service, but I can personally say the very same thing about Wilson. Even though they have gotten a bad rep for not wanting to customize their pistols they did not show that attitude with me. Wilson went above and beyond the call of duty to get my CQB just the way I wanted it. Non standard CQB items like an S&A magwell (Checkered by them), top of slide serrations, and rear of slide checkering just to name a few. I think it all comes down to getting past the Wilson customer service reps and dealing with somebody above them. I was more than impressed and the finished pistol was absolutely perfect.

Like I said, just pick either of them and you will be pleased.

Now I'm still foaming at the mouth for my SA Pro w/light rail to arrive.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:30:06 PM EDT
I would have to say that for about $1500 the ADCO/RRA or YO-BO 1*Enhanced on an SA G.I. would be he best buy in that price range. The ADCO/RRA is no longer available. Go with a YO-BO 1* Enhanced or contact MT_Pockets for a Wilson CQB. It's funny, but I have more than a dozen top of the line 5" 1911s and I carry a CQB daily. One also sits on my nightstand when I go to bed. When you put 5,000+ rounds through a pistol without a single failure it proves itself to be trusted.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:49:02 PM EDT
Will Wilson accomodate changes like solid trigger, NO forward cockers, Heinie sights? I was led to believe they didn't and that's a reason I went with NH.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:01:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 4:05:56 PM EDT by Va_Dinger]

Will Wilson accomodate changes like solid trigger, NO forward cockers, Heinie sights? I was led to believe they didn't and that's a reason I went with NH.

I cannot say for sure because I did not specifically ask for those changes. All I asked for was the S&A magwell, 4.5# trigger, plus the extra checkering & serrations and they were more than happy to accommodate my requests. I also prefer Novak sights, so the Wilson copies did not bother me. I'm sure Nighthawk would be “Easier” to get these mods, all I was saying is that Wilson will do special requests if asked. Most people are under the assumption Wilson will not customize their pistols and that’s just plain false.

Does Nighthawk include a prefitted & tuned spare extractor? My CQB had one included and they even checkered it to match my requested rear of slide checkering. Like I said, I was more than pleased with Wilson's customer service. They went above and beyond. Of course MT_Pockets deserves a share of that credit. He is one hell of a guy and a great dealer. I will never buy another Wilson from anybody else.

Hell, Wilson even refinished mine after it accidentally slipped out of my range bag for nothing more than return shipping. It was too damn new to leave with some ugly scratches. Holster wear and duty scratches are something to be proud of, but I could not live with something that happened in a damn parking lot.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:02:06 PM EDT
I think that Wilson has a limited number of changes that they will make to their standard pistols. This also appears to be a departure from their previous policy of "you get it our way", and may even be a reaction to Nighthawk forming and offereing the same thing but with options.

I would consider a Nighthawk, but it strikes me that a startup/offshoot should be LESS expensive than the comparable established product. This does not appear to be the case with Nighthawk as their products look to be more expensive than the WC.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:08:14 PM EDT

I cannot say for sure because I did not specifically ask for those changes. All I asked for was the S&A magwell, 4.5# trigger, plus the extra checkering & serrations and they were more than happy to accommodate my requests. I also prefer Novak sights, so the Wilson copies did not bother me. I'm sure Nighthawk would be “Easier” to get these mods, all I was saying is that Wilson will do special requests if asked. Most people are under the assumption Wilson will not customize their pistols and that’s just plain false.

Does Nighthawk include a prefitted & tuned spare extractor? My CQB had one included and they even checkered it to match my requested rear of slide checkering. Like I said, I was more than pleased with Wilson's customer service. They went above and beyond. Of course MT_Pockets deserves a share of that credit. He is one hell of a guy and a great dealer. I will never buy another Wilson from anybody else.

Hell, Wilson even refinished mine after it accidentally slipped out of my range bag for nothing more than return shipping. It was too damn new to leave with some ugly scratches. Holster wear and duty scratches are something to be proud of, but I could not live with something that happened in a damn parking lot.

Whoa there, I'm NOT slamming Wilson in any way, it was an honest question. If I can get a CQB with those mods (particularly the front cockers) I'll probably order one of those next. Also, my initial post was in no way flaming Wilson's QC, I was just relating my experience with NH
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:10:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 4:13:39 PM EDT by Va_Dinger]

Whoa there, I'm NOT slamming Wilson in any way, it was an honest question. If I can get a CQB with those mods (particularly the front cockers) I'll probably order one of those next. Also, my initial post was in no way flaming Wilson's QC, I was just relating my experience with NH

I never thought you were slamming Wilson. I'm sorry if I gave that impression in my post.

Personally, I would buy a Nighthawk in a heart beat.

I have a SA Pro w/light rail that should be arriving any day now and that will pretty much break me for 2/3 of 2006.

Too little funds for all my 1911 dreams.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:17:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 5:26:45 PM EDT by Va_Dinger]

Originally Posted By in_burrito:
I think that Wilson has a limited number of changes that they will make to their standard pistols. This also appears to be a departure from their previous policy of "you get it our way", and may even be a reaction to Nighthawk forming and offereing the same thing but with options.

I would consider a Nighthawk, but it strikes me that a startup/offshoot should be LESS expensive than the comparable established product. This does not appear to be the case with Nighthawk as their products look to be more expensive than the WC.

Nighthawk might be a "New" company but their gunsmiths have been known for years. Plus having guys like Larry Vickers give you a big thumbs up has to help.

A Nighthawk does come with a few more “Name Brand” parts like real Novak sights. A Wilson comes with their labeled Novak copies. It was not a big deal to me, but having real Novak's must cost Nighthawk a few more dollars.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:25:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 4:25:59 PM EDT by SGB]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:33:05 PM EDT

Nighthawk might be a "New" company but their gunsmiths have been known for years. Plus having guys like Larry Vickers give you a big thumbs up has to help.

True, but as a company they are still an unknown entity. I've seen sports teams of supposed "all stars" play like crap, and the same can be true of businesses. I personally happen to dislike Wilson (for reasons I won't go into here) but even I have to admit that given the choice I'd prefer to have a company with a track record and a history.

With that said, if I was in the market and the Nightwawk was 90% of the price I'd take the gamble to save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:38:18 PM EDT
Slightly off topic, but has anyone ever contacted Wilson about eliminating the front cocking serrations on the slide?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:42:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SGB:
Did someone say......... "PRO" ? Hmmmmmm......... I need to look around for a CQB or a NH

If you find a deal on a CQB even remotely as good as the deal you got on your Pro, you should head straight to Vegas.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:34:46 PM EDT

In time, my friend...

damian@adcofirearms.com
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:46:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 6:47:53 PM EDT by DocGun]
Listen up:

Currently the two best deals on an "reasonably" priced excellent 1911 are the Yo-Bo SA G.I. 1*Enhanced or a good buy on a Wilson CQB. The Yo-Bo is $1495 + shipping and if you contact MT_Pockets, a Wilson CQB is not all that much more. I absolutely love my CQBs.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:48:29 PM EDT
I don't see how the Nighthawk Custom pistols are that much more than the Wilson's. The top-of-the-line Nightwank retails at $2800. The top-of-the-line Wilson retails at $5000. In fact, the first seven pistols I looked at on the Wilson website retailed above $2800.

I also believe that the Nighthawk guns should be more expensive because they use name brand parts and they are a full custom shop. Plus the cost of machinery for a new company isn't light on the wallet.

I'm not knocking either company, and I think it would be a priviledge to own one of either company's products.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:02:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dave0520:
I don't see how the Nighthawk Custom pistols are that much more than the Wilson's. The top-of-the-line Nightwank retails at $2800. The top-of-the-line Wilson retails at $5000. In fact, the first seven pistols I looked at on the Wilson website retailed above $2800.

I also believe that the Nighthawk guns should be more expensive because they use name brand parts and they are a full custom shop. Plus the cost of machinery for a new company isn't light on the wallet.

I'm not knocking either company, and I think it would be a priviledge to own one of either company's products.

that's all well and good, and I wish them luck with it, but that's no way to start or run a business.

Just because it costs me $1,000 to ship a camel turd from Cairo to NYC doesn't mean that I can sell a camel turd in Times Square for $1,500. I first have to establish that my camel turd is something desireable, and somehow better than the camel turd you can get in Central Park for $200 less. That may mean that I don't get to make $500 profit right off the bat.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:18:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dubb-1:

In time, my friend...

damian@adcofirearms.com

The wait is killing me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:49:49 PM EDT

I contacted Wilson Combat earlier last week and spoke with Matt. I have an S/A G.I. and will be sending it to them for work/custom build within the next year. There is a lot of Wilson parts as well as Ed Brown, Kart barrel (or Wilson still un-decided) and a solid trigger (medium) that will go into this gun. According to Matt at Wilson they will do whatever I want done so long as the parts are quality ones. As far as their offered guns, I am not so sure. I have never had a bad experience with Wilson. They have always given me great advice and customer service. Hience, why I am having them do the work. Big +1 for Wilson Combat.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:08:42 AM EDT
For those who were curious, below is my email exchange with someone at Wilson Combat. I take this to mean that yes, you can eliminate serrations and checkering, but you have to be prepared to wait for it. If the rest of the industry is any indication, the 3-4 months mentioned in the email will more likely turn into 5-6 months before you actually see a pistol in your hands. I do like the fact that it appears to not affect the cost, even though I personally think the cost should decrease due to less labor. It's probably a wash because of the added cost of someone actually paying attention durring the process instead of just churning them out on the assembly line.

My original inquiry.

Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 8:07 PM
To: info@wilsoncombat.com
Subject: Front Cocking serrations

I am interested in one of your pistols, but I would like to know if it is
possible to order one without the front cocking serrations and/or the
checkering on the front strap.

Thanks in advance.

Their response

in_burrito,

It is possible, it is a special order slide and frame request, same money on
the slide and same price on the frame as listed in the catalog/website
without front strap checkering, just will take 3-4 months to get the slide
and frame.

Please let me know if I can help

Thanks
Larry
Ext 135

larryl@wilsoncombat.com

Larry Lyles
Customer Service & Sales Representative
1-800-955-4856 ext. 135
larryl@wilsoncombat.com

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:27:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 6:29:36 AM EDT by Va_Dinger]

For those who were curious, below is my email exchange with someone at Wilson Combat. I take this to mean that yes, you can eliminate serrations and checkering, but you have to be prepared to wait for it. If the rest of the industry is any indication, the 3-4 months mentioned in the email will more likely turn into 5-6 months before you actually see a pistol in your hands. I do like the fact that it appears to not affect the cost, even though I personally think the cost should decrease due to less labor. It's probably a wash because of the added cost of someone actually paying attention durring the process instead of just churning them out on the assembly line.

My original inquiry.

Thanks in advance.

Their response

in_burrito,

and frame.

Thanks
Larry
Ext 135

larryl@wilsoncombat.com

Larry Lyles
1-800-955-4856 ext. 135
larryl@wilsoncombat.com

I know you just dislike WC (Even though you have never owned one), but that is not my experience. Mine had the extra checkering & serrations and was in my hands in less than two months. Of course they are going to give you a quote on the high side, it saves them from having you complain on the Internet if your pistol is “Late”. It’s a smart move in my opinion. Who familiar with custom or semi-custom 1911's would consider 2-6 months to be bad or out the norm? Hell, most well known 1911 gunsmiths have backlogs that are YEARS long. The fact of the matter is customization takes time. There is no free lunch and these pistols are not just rolling off the assembly line.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:54:15 AM EDT

I know you just dislike WC (Even though you have never owned one), but that is not my experience. Mine had the extra checkering & serrations and was in my hands in less than two months. Of course they are going to give you a quote on the high side, it saves them from having you complain on the Internet if your pistol is “Late”. It’s a smart move in my opinion. Who familiar with custom or semi-custom 1911's would consider 2-6 months to be bad or out the norm? Hell, most well known 1911 gunsmiths have backlogs that are YEARS long. The fact of the matter is customization takes time. There is no free lunch and these pistols are not just rolling off the assembly line.

You're missing the point. I think it's a GOOD thing that they can do it, and it's a shift from their previous position when I asked several years ago. I also interpreted the email to mean that the frame and slide would take 3-4 months, and then they still have to build the thing. If it's really as custom as you and others would like to believe then tacking 2-3 months on top of that is a pretty conservative estimate of time from placing the order to getting a pistol in your hand.

Also, the modifications I'm asking them about are removing items not adding them. Adding things like your checkering are easy to do in the assembly line, removing things from the base material is more difficult. The bottom line is that they are going to have to custom order the frame and slide because their frames and slides come with the serrations/checkering already on them on the standard guns.

A manager at McDonalds once told me you should always order your burger without katsup because it ensured that you got a fresh "custom" burger and that the katsup was easy enough for you to add back in at your table. If you ordered it without pickels they could just peel them off and you couldn't really add them back later if you want to. Maybe the way to get a truly custom Wilson is to order it without the details that come from the frame supplier such that they are forced to treat your pistol as a one of a kind. If that was the case, and they could build me one without the "CQB" lettering on the slide while they're at it, maybe I'll get one.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:02:31 AM EDT

My original inquiry.

Thanks in advance.

Their response

in_burrito,

and frame.

Thanks
Larry
Ext 135

larryl@wilsoncombat.com

Larry Lyles
1-800-955-4856 ext. 135
larryl@wilsoncombat.com

And there it is, straight from the horse's mouth. Looks like my next "semi-custom" will be a Wilson. I mean, to have a "scientific" comparison, you have to own both right? Ahhh the things we ARCOMers do for "science"
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:24:32 PM EDT
Many thanks again to all who have replied. You all obviously know a lot more than me, which is why I ask here.

Blake
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:22:58 PM EDT
I own and shoot more than a dozen "high end" 1911s. I probably shoot my Wilsons (2 CQBs and 3 Protectors) more than my others and carry a CQB daily. For someone looking to spend in the range of a Wilson/Nighthawk (or less) I highly recommend taking a look at what Yost-Bonitz offers. For $1500 you can get a 1* Enhanced with them supplying the gun (SA G.I.). Change the SA 2 piece barrel (and there is nothing wrong with it) to a Kart and you're looking at about $1750. If I had to pick the single best buy in a "working" 1911, that would be it. I consider it grossly underpriced for what you're getting and IMO will hold it's value more than the other two. I have two 1* Elites and the craftmenship is undeniable. If ADCO was still working with RRA to produce the ADCO/RRA 1911 that Steve (Bigbore) speced out @ $1525 I'd recommend that as well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:40:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 6:42:11 PM EDT by imcoltsguy]
Did I understand the above post correctly--that the gun is the same price with or without frame checkering? Personally I wouldn't stand still for that from a supposedly "custom" shop, though I presume this means it's CNC checkering and nothing is saved by eliminating it And, no, I'm not knocking only Wilson. Would say the same about anyone else too. Sadly, the Wilson shop that built 3 of my guns in the 80's and early 90's is no more. Shoulda bought all the guns I wanted when they would do any kind of custom work you wanted, and did it perfectly, but still glad to have the ones I have.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:01:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DocGun:
If ADCO was still working with RRA to produce the ADCO/RRA 1911 that Steve (Bigbore) speced out @ $1525 I'd recommend that as well.

RRA still makes the Basic Carry which is very similar.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:25:44 PM EDT
Tag for later viewing...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:16:15 PM EDT
IIRC the article i read in ON TARGET said that NH used Caspian frames, i'll have to double check tomorrow at work, as i don't have the magazine with me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:52:48 PM EDT
The article I read said Nighthawk was using STI frames, but that is completely unverified.
Top Top