Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2005 1:07:03 PM EDT
Very uncharacteristically, I made an impulse purchase today of a Kimber Custom TLE II at a local shop.  This is my first foray into the world of 1911 handguns, after a fair amount of experience with various 9mm models.  I was looking for a 45 as a carry gun after receiving my Texas CHL license, and chose the Kimber over the H&K USP 45.

I'm mostly interested in any opinions anyone would care to offer on the weapon, as I only know Kimber (and 1911's) through reputation.  I preferred the feel of the Kimber in my hand over the H&K, the fact that it came with night sights, and that it seemed (to me) like it would be easier to live with day to day than the H&K.  My biggest trepidations in the purchase was the reduced mag capacity and the lack of a tactical rail.

Anyway, looking forward to picking up useful info here as I have from the AR forum, and to making a bigger boom at the firing line than I used to.

Thanks for any thoughts
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Kimbers seem to be addictive I bought my first anbout a year ago and since have bought three more. I have owned a few 1911s before but I love my Kimbers. And by the way Welcome to the site
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#3]
My first 1911 was the TLE, too.  I've had it a couple of years now and it continues to be a highly reliable, accurate, dependable handgun!!  The only problems I've had with it were feeding and ejecting when I used some reloads a friend gave me.   With new manufactured ammo it has run flawlessly.  

You can get magazines that hold one more round ( 8 + 1) for it.  I bought a Kimber mag that has a slightly different follower which allows the additional round.

Now, for your next Kimber, take a look at the CDP Pro or Compact.  Either of these will be a better carry gun than the TLE because of the rounded (dehorned) treatment.  I couldn't resist and picked up one of these, also.

I agree, you need to run around 500 rounds thru the TLE to smooth its functioning out.  Also, if you get some .45 snap caps, you can do nightly dry fire practice while watching TV.  This will help you get used to the trigger, and it will improve and smooth out of the trigger without the cost of additional ammo.

One or two 1911's isn't enuf, tho, I now have two more - a Wilson and a Dan Wesson.  My wish list now includes a Rock River, a Les Baer, and a Nighthawk.  It's difficult to turn off this 1911 craving!!!  I suspect you'll become addicted, too.  If you do, just accept it and enjoyj!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the addiction.  You will never regret your chouice.  Though I will have to say that your check book just might.  Get comfortable with the set up that you have with a good 500 round break in.  I also like to practice my draw form the holster that i intend to use.  First with just a draw and ready.  then draw to aim.  Last with a draw to fire.  I usually use dry fire with snap caps( a dummy round that has rubber in the primer pocket).  No rail no problem.  I think of those as a crutch.  Do not get me wrong, my H&K uspc has one and I like the light that i have hanging on it.  As my ccw it is not very practical for me.  I was also lucky to have been taught to use a flash light and shoot one handed.  not to mention I actually like sights that do not glow.  Yes, I do have them too.  Yes, it is hard to resist the 1911.  that is why I just give into it.  Just wait until the build bug bites you!!!!!

Aim straight and have fun
Jon
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Good choice on the TLE.  I have one on my workbench currently in process of fitting an Ed Brown ambi safety.

1911s are thinner than Glock/HK/Sig, so often a little more comfortable for CCW.

Be sure to use only high-quality magazines (Wilson or Tripp come to mind).  The Kimber mags are often problematic.

No offense to the other posters, but snap caps/dummy rounds are not needed for dry practice for non-rimfire guns.  When you start adding malfunction clearance drills and reloading drills at home, you will need them.  Also good to mix live and dummy rounds at the range to train yourself to avoid pre-ignition push and other operator errors, and to induce malfunctions.

Rails are nice, but not necessary.  They add bulk you may not want, and limit your holster choices.

Take a handgun shooting class and learn some flashlight shooting techniques.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#6]
congrats on the TLE (my first HG/1911 too)!

CCW is ok w/ the fullsize, but i draw a little faster on my SA Champion (not by much), but i love shooting the TLE a hell of a lot more

great choice--mine has worked w/ all kinds of ammo --100%(wwb, wolf, blazer, speer, UMC, etc) and mags (WC, CM, chicoms, mecgars, metals, etc)

the only thing i changed was to add a set of gunner grips and a extended slide release (use to be VZ grips, also recommended)

as to holsters, i like kydex and use a comptac belt
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replies.  I'm looking forward to putting a box or two of rounds through it tomorrow, and will report back.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#8]
That was my first 1911 too, but mine has the rails. I absolutely love it. You can use Wilson Combat 47D mags for 8+1 capacity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top