Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 5:18:18 AM EDT
I was in my local gun shop yesterday viewing all the eye candy....when the topic turned to a Colt series 80....he told me how it's a really great deal because of all of the choices of calibers I could use by just swapping out barrels and mags.... Is it really that simple?????
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:01:18 AM EDT
[#1]
No.

Even if you swap barrel and magazines, you still have to contend with:

breechface width
extractor
ejector
feed ramp in the frame (cartridge specific in 1911s)

Notable exceptions:  I can shoot .40 reliably out of my 10mm Delta Elite IF I load it long (taking it from 1.180 to 1.250) with no other changes.  It simply headspaces on the extractor, not the case mouth.

I can shoot .40 and also 10mm in my SVI with only a barrel change.  Both barrels were fitted to the gun.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
The best gun for multi-caliber use would be a gun chambered in any of the below, since switching to any other caliber on the list should just be a barrel swap

10mm
40cal
357 sig
9x25 dillon
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The best gun for multi-caliber use would be a gun chambered in any of the below, since switching to any other caliber on the list should just be a barrel swap

10mm
40cal
357 sig
9x25 dillon

Maybe that's what he meant.....and not .45
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

10mm
40cal
357 sig
9x25 dillon

Maybe that's what he meant.....and not .45

the series 80 is strictly 45. unless it's a mexican clone or something...

if you're interested, look up 80 series conversion kits.  they're mostly found in 22LR though.

he might've been talking about a conversion kit, but those apply to pretty much any popular pistol.
they usually consist of a magazine, barrel and complete slide assembly.

if he was serious about what he said in your first post, he's gun-illiterate and is trying to feed you a hockey puck to get a sale.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top