Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 9:48:44 PM EDT
Is it a good or bad buy for a broke man looking to get a cheap 1911. I know you get what you pay for and all that but it would just be something to plink with not for PD.

I saw one in the pawn shop for $329.00. I have heard that Armscor and Charles Daly's suck. Is this a waste of money or what.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#1]
get a springfield
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I have heard the late models are being made on new equipment but I have no direct knowledge about ARMSCOR.

Go here for some info: ARMSCOR
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I, like you, have been an admirer of the 1911 but did not want to blow a thousand in case I did not like it. so I bought a Rock Island Armory from a gun auction website for a total cost of $300 delivered to my FFL dealer. I figured if I liked it enough, I would step up and buy a Colt or a Wilson.
I have had my Rock Island for a year now and have had no problems whatsoever.
I have fed it approximately 2,500 rounds of Wolf ammo, Remington UMC, Blazer, Aguila, Samson and Winchester Win Clean without a single problem.  
Not one jam, not on stovepipe, not one feed problem.
Armscor pistols are imported by API in Pahrump Nevada, but are actualy made at the Twin Pines facility in the Phillipines.
I now own two of the pistols made under the Rock Island Armory brand name.
one in .45 and one in .38 super special.
I believe that the gun is made from the colt specs for the model 70 series.
I can only speak from my experience. And so far, it has been a great experience.
The only thing i would recommend is to stick with Novak brand magazines that come with the gun.Joe
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I, like you, have been an admirer of the 1911 but did not want to blow a thousand in case I did not like it. so I bought a Rock Island Armory from a gun auction website for a total cost of $300 delivered to my FFL dealer. I figured if I liked it enough, I would step up and buy a Colt or a Wilson.
I have had my Rock Island for a year now and have had no problems whatsoever.
I have fed it approximately 2,500 rounds of Wolf ammo, Remington UMC, Blazer, Aguila, Samson and Winchester Win Clean without a single problem.  
Not one jam, not on stovepipe, not one feed problem.
Armscor pistols are imported by API in Pahrump Nevada, but are actualy made at the Twin Pines facility in the Phillipines.
I now own two of the pistols made under the Rock Island Armory brand name.
one in .45 and one in .38 super special.
I believe that the gun is made from the colt specs for the model 70 series.
I can only speak from my experience. And so far, it has been a great experience.
The only thing i would recommend is to stick with Novak brand magazines that come with the gun.
Joe

I have a RIA .45, too. Works great. I don't have as many rounds through mine, but it hasn't choked once. I swapped out the factory trigger with a USGI trigger, and it fit just fine, so the trigger at least seems to have been made from colt specs. I use Chip McCormick 8-round shooting stars in mine.

I would like to get some different sights put on it, they're tiny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top