Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 45
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Another 1911 "millennial" here, I see you too like the 10-8 basepads.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m a true X’er and I’ve been packing a 1911 off and on since ‘98. Currently it’s a Kimber Aegis Elite Pro OI.

You younguns are on to something with those fancy red dot 🔴 optics. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Another weekend of practice. Only got about 200 rounds down range, but played with a wide variety of powder charges. I've been loading my .45ACP with 230gr round nose Ackerman moly-coated lead bullets. I've preferred just using 5.0gr of Bullseye powder. They are seated to 1.260" OAL. I'm using mixed range trash brass where I have to sort small and large primers. All my reloads are checked with a case go-gauge (I'd highly recommend for anyone reloading in mass). I've been reloading all of these on a Dillon 550. I used to reload all my .45ACP on my father's Dillon 1050, but that's an hour away and my 550 isn't too bad. I hope to purchase a Dillon 650 soon. I usually reload only 500 rounds at a time. I typically don't have much more time to spend, but I can knock 500 rounds out in about 50min to an hour.

I work with engines and transmissions at my day job. There are many aspects of firearms and engines that go hand in hand. I appreciate high quality machining and fitting, it's a major factor of what makes me enjoy shooting a tight steel frame gun. A big part of how we test longevity in an internal combustion engine is to monitor and analyze the wear patterns on mating components. If the feel wasn't good enough to tell that a Les Baer is a well machined and fitted tool, the wear patterns will convince you.

Notice the uniformity of the rail to side wear:

Consistent wear across the barrel at the bushing. There is a slight low point on the bottom of the barrel, but over the engagement of the barrel to bushing, there is clearly consistent lockup:
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:01:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: x_red_beard_x] [#4]
Part of practicing this weekend was working on the trigger technique that Rob Leatham promotes. I was able to make some impressive shots while 'slapping' the trigger. I'm still not sure I'm doing it right or if I'm just focusing enough to get good hits. Either way, this pistol makes a 12in plate at 50 yards an absolute blast. It definitely makes me feel like a better shot than I actually am.

It rained all day yesterday, but I was able to get some trigger time in. I've loaded some weak 4.6gr of Bullseye for more range ammo. I keep having a desire to pickup a 9mm 1911 to plink with, but I just really enjoy being able to have a .45ACP that I can load up or down to whatever power I want. It may be an old cartridge, but .45ACP has a soft spot in my heart.

It's very very important to practice in all weather and light conditions. Practice with the sun behind your target, practice under moon light, practice when it's raining, practice when it's snowing. Figure out what to do when your glasses fog up, what if your contacts come out. It's all important to see how your crap works.

Here's one of the important things I learned at my time at Thunder Ranch. I've shot my entire life, it's been one of my passions ever since I could remember. I've shot a lot of rifle including benchrest, Appleseed, PRS, and tactical moving stuff. All that being said, when Clint put us under stress, I pushed my head into my gun stock so hard my cheek weld caused my dominate eye to close shut. When looking down the sights with both eyes open, I couldn't see anything but what was coming through my non-dominate eye. It really messed with me. I thought my optic was loose and I started taking it off under stress. I couldn't do it. After Clint yelled at me for a while, I finally figured out what was happening and I fixed it the next go around. Clint was very supportive of me finding out what had happened and he simply told me "Better to find this shit out now, than in the fight". Clint has an amazing way of simplifying, what seems like complex problems.

Practice what you suck at!

Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice OP, and you’re absolutely correct on shooting in all conditions to understand what works and doesn’t work! It can be eye opening for sure, and usually in a bad way. Ran 50 through my Colt the other day and plan on running another box later day or tomorrow. Love the pistol and reading up on your journey, rock it!
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 5:52:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JLS81] [#6]
@x_red_beard_x
Your Les Baer TRS is one mighty fine weapon!
Totally agree on your point regarding shooting in all kinds of conditions and perfecting what you got. Very important statements made here!
Subbed as this is a great thread! Breath of fresh air to see guys posting great pics and positive comments.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:58:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: x_red_beard_x] [#7]
Happy New Year!!!

@Fordtough25 Thanks for the positive comments! Always good to hear from another Hoosier!
@JLS81 Thanks man! I appreciate it. Forums are my last ditch effort to try to convey meaningful information. Social Media just isn't designed for thorough discussion.

Yesterday, I got quite a few rounds downrange. We setup mini-PRS stages and did a bunch of 50-150 yard .22lr shooting. It was a lot of fun. I'd encourage anyone looking to get into positional shooting to get a .22lr and practice!

The Baer came right along with me. It’s so easy to conceal a full size pistol when wearing a jacket or button up shirt. I’m at the point where I always dress around how I carry. Carrying at 4 o’clock allows for a lot of options as long as you don’t tuck your shirt in. I don’t like how it’s difficult to draw your firearm when seated or in a vehicle, especially with a jacket on. I think that’s one thing appendix really shines with. I just have never been able to be comfortable carrying appendix. I always hated that argument of shooting your hog off carrying appendix. It’s stupid… If your gun accidentally discharges no matter what position you’re carrying in… you’ve got problems. Big problems. How about the people you sweep while bending over while carrying at 4 o’clock, are those people less sacred than your man meat? Just something to think about.

My reloads using 4.6gr of Bullseye behind a 230gr Moly coated lead bullet is showing a lot of variation. Too much variation. Maybe it’s me. Maybe I wasn’t shooting the best yesterday, but it sure seemed like I had a lot of flyers using this workup. Also, when you start working on a light powder charge using Bullseye, it’s amazing how dirty it becomes. Lots of unburnt powder leaving the barrel. Lots of carbon deposits. I think I’ll put some on paper using a rest and see how much groups look today or tomorrow afternoon. I usually use 5.0gr of Bullseye with this bullet, but I wanted to try to go a little lighter for quicker follow up shots. Clays powder works much better for this, but I have quite a few gallons of Bullseye, so I'm trying to make it work. I may try to just settle on something close to 4.8gr and call it a day.

The Baer has an incredibly light trigger. I like it for somethings, but most things I don’t. I think I’d much prefer a slightly heavier ~4lb trigger.

I’ll post my groups when I test the Bullseye powder.

Link Posted: 1/2/2020 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#8]
@x_red_beard_x Love the progress!

Buddy and I ran around 50 each through ours yesterday to ring in the new year, perfect function and accuracy was superb with 230 gr ball factory ammo.

The picture sucks but i carried mine in my tanker holster under my jacket most of last week, with a reload in my front pants pocket. Not usually how I carry but it was handy while off on Christmas break.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#9]
My EDC was a full size 1911 for about 5 years, I still carry it occasionally.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I got a little range time in yesterday evening. I almost didn’t get home before dark. This was the first time I have shot a striker fired pistol in several months of carrying the 1911. I just wanted to re-group and shoot the Glock back to back with the 1911. I noticed the obvious things, but the most interesting was how quickly I had adapted back to the natural point of aim of the Glock. I went back and forth without thinking about it. This was something that worried me switching over to a different firearm. I noticed myself using my support hand to hit the slide release. Every time I did this, I was laughing at myself. I had more difficulty mentally getting over the different ‘manual of arms’ rather than the natural point of aim. I was pleased with this. The recoil wasn’t very noticeable until I was running the gun as fast as I could at 7 yards on full size targets. That’s went I noticed I could group much tighter with the Glock. However, the 1911 wasn’t far off. I have to grip the 1911 much tighter to run it as fast. The last thing I noticed was how disappointed I was with the red dot. I found myself wishing for irons only almost the entire time. I played with both of them at 100 yards on a full size IPSC steel target. It was easier to aim with the red dot, but I got more hits with the 1911. But with a few more mags through the Glock, I’m sure I could be making hits the majority of the time.

After a rainy evening of shooting, I put the Glock back in the safe and the 1911 back in the holster. My wife still thinks I’ll be going back to a Glock later this year, but I’m still open minded. The 1911 carries significantly better than the Glock 17 with an x300. My next 1911 will definitely have a light rail and using the x300ub. That will take away from the thinness of the gun and I expect it won’t carry as well IWB as the Glock 17. Most of my jacket pockets now have a spare mag(s) in the inner pockets. I'm thinking an aluminum commander frame with a light rail and an Inforce APL would be the pinnacle of conceal carry firearms.

I really feel that the 1911 excels in the small administrative aspects of carrying a firearm. The mags are easy to carry. The firearm is heavy, but how thin it is makes up for it. The frame is very tall, but with a holster with cant to it, it doesn’t print to bad. It’s honestly a very easy gun to carry for the size. I’m often surprised that I forget I’m even wearing it throughout the day. I don’t think it’s any better than a Glock, in many ways it’s worse, in some ways it’s better. It’s a different gun and I believe it’s important to be proficient with both.

Link Posted: 1/3/2020 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By x_red_beard_x:
I noticed the obvious things, but the most interesting was how quickly I had adapted back to the natural point of aim of the Glock. I went back and forth without thinking about it.
View Quote
You've debunked one of the biggest myths on the internet.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Ive never had an issue grabbing my g19.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 2:59:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: x_red_beard_x] [#13]
Some interesting notes from Thunder Ranch:

1.    Carry a gun. There is no such thing as a “safe” place anymore anywhere.
2.    Carry spare ammunition.
3.    Carry a second gun. Take a good look at ankle guns and holsters but carry a caliber that is as good as your primary.
4.    Carry a light.
5.    Carry a sharp edged something.
6.    Review, renew, refresh whatever your med skills and equipment.
7.    Practice shooting more moving targets.
8.    Practice shooting and moving.
9.    Down load and rest and reload your now resting ready magazines.
10.  Tell yourself often that what you shoot and even hit might not work and what will you do next?
11.  Fight with a rifle.
12.  Check in with your higher being of choice.
13.  Change the smoke detector battery. Now that you're up there, change it anyways.
14.  Eat less and walk more.
15.  Don’t lift heavy shit.
16.  Look both ways.
17.  Don’t drink and drive.
18.  Stand up for something.
19.  Vote.
20.  Call your Mom.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#14]

3.    Carry a second gun. Take a good look at ankle guns and holsters but carry a caliber that is as good as your primary.
4.    Carry a light.
10.  Tell yourself often that what you shoot and even hit might not work and what will you do next?
11.  Fight with a rifle.
13.  Change the smoke detector battery. Now that you're up there, change it anyways.
16.  Look both ways.
19.  Vote.
20.  Call your Mom.

Enjoy!
View Quote
Outstanding advice!
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#15]

4.    Carry a light.
11.  Fight with a rifle.
16.  Look both ways.
19.  Vote.
20.  Call your Mom.

Enjoy!
View Quote
Appreciate that, solid advice all around! I'll be running another box through the Colt tomorrow sometime, it's quite nice in the accuracy dept. I'd love to have a les baer also, such a nice pistol!
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#16]

4.    Carry a light.
11.  Fight with a rifle.
16.  Look both ways.
19.  Vote.
20.  Call your Mom.

Enjoy!
View Quote
#9 & #15
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 3:42:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: x_red_beard_x] [#17]
@03RN Clint is in favor of keeping your magazines loaded at all times. He recommends that you shoot each mag from time to time to verify it still works. He recommends treating magazines as consumables and throw away anything that doesn't work perfectly. I heed his advice by keeping all magazines loaded. I don't keep unloaded mags laying around. However, I don't throw a magazine away when it causes malfunctions. I typically keep it and make a yellow paint mark on it.

Regarding his 'Don't lift heavy things' quote, I think Clint is recommending that you lift things wisely. Many people get hurt in manufacturing because they lifted something weird. Obviously training allows you to lift heavier and heavier objects and your definition of heavy maybe different than mine. Clint uses his New Holland tractor if he has to move something heavy haha
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
#9 & #15
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

4.    Carry a light.
11.  Fight with a rifle.
16.  Look both ways.
19.  Vote.
20.  Call your Mom.

Enjoy!
#9 & #15
I think 9 is more about  1911 magazines, I think they get spring fatigue, just sort of a thing about their old design.
I know that I had 2x 10 round magazines that I left loaded for years, and they belled the feed lips

15. Yeah thats gunna be a no from me dog.
I do think that when possible, people should stick with a fitness routine that works for them. If they're 100 pounds dripping wet and halfway there into having great cardio naturally, they might as well finish it. If you're big ol' farm boy, just go that route. Etc
And always be smart about injury

I personally think that a lot of the people that heavy lifting comes naturally to, And I guess I'm one of them, we just don't get as hurt as much from those activities as other people trying to do them
"YMMV"
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#19]

After a rainy evening of shooting, I put the Glock back in the safe and the 1911 back in the holster. My wife still thinks I’ll be going back to a Glock later this year, but I’m still open minded. The 1911 carries significantly better than the Glock 17 with an x300. My next 1911 will definitely have a light rail and using the x300ub. That will take away from the thinness of the gun and I expect it won’t carry as well IWB as the Glock 17. Most of my jacket pockets now have a spare mag(s) in the inner pockets. I'm thinking an aluminum commander frame with a light rail and an Inforce APL would be the pinnacle of conceal carry firearms.

https://i.imgur.com/2s1crQK.jpg
View Quote
Once you add a light, it sucks to IWB anything. You are no longer needing to get your pants around like an inch of slide, but 3" of slide + light. I noticed even putting a micro light on my shield made me not want it IWB.

You and I are of the same taste I believe. You should look at the STI Staccato C as your next 1911. It will be my next 1911, and hits all the marks you include. Just a few more ounces than a shield but a damn fine trigger, easy to carry spare mags, and fantastic fit and finish. Hard to argue that combo.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

You should look at the STI Staccato C as your next 1911.
View Quote
I've been eyeing these.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:42:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: x_red_beard_x] [#21]
Originally Posted By @steviesterno16:

Once you add a light, it sucks to IWB anything. You are no longer needing to get your pants around like an inch of slide, but 3" of slide + light. I noticed even putting a micro light on my shield made me not want it IWB.

You and I are of the same taste I believe. You should look at the STI Staccato C as your next 1911. It will be my next 1911, and hits all the marks you include. Just a few more ounces than a shield but a damn fine trigger, easy to carry spare mags, and fantastic fit and finish. Hard to argue that combo.
View Quote
I carried a Glock 19 with an Inforce APL for many many years very comfortably, but I have struggled with any other combo of pistol + weaponlight. I like the Glock 17 and x300, but it's bulky and I notice carrying it more than my 1911. I suspect you're definitely correct if I try concealing a full size 1911 and X300. That sound logic hasn't stopped me from wanting one.

I've drooled over them a bunch. I'd consider a Staccato C as a complete replacement to a Glock 19. I was really impressed with it. There's something about the grip that I'm not in love with. I can't identify what it is, but it's made me hesitate buying one twice now. I pickup the Staccato P next to it and it conforms exactly to my hands, but of course it's a full size pistol and isn't as practical as the 'C'. Maybe if I pickup a 'C' I'll send the grip off to have it stippled like the older STIs I'm waiting till the 2020 NRA convention to make my decision. I may just end up buying a Staccato R or P. The C seems more practical for IWB. At one point STI mentioned their 2020 Duo guns would be machined to mount an RMR lower than the current 2019 Staccato Duos. This is a big thing for me. The Staccato P Duo w/ the RMR adapter plate mounts the RMR too high in my opinion. I'm not a fan of the Leupold DPP because of the brightness button, but I'd rather have a lower mounted DPP than a high mounted RMR.

All that being said, I'm sort of moving away from a red dot on the pistol. I really like it and I think it's very useful, but I don't see the benefits being substantial. I think hides flaws in peoples grip and technique. I'm young and still have decent eye sight which helps with irons.

I'll be purchasing another 1911/2011 after the NRA convention when I get a chance to look over a few different options (the Staccatos are on the top of my list).
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I will be sticking with my 1911

the glocks are relegated to the wife's hd
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#23]
so, you kids are sayin I've been right for 45 years?????

would you tell my kids please?
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 9:32:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
so, you kids are sayin I've been right for 45 years?????

would you tell my kids please?
View Quote
Not sure I’m a kid but sure? Lol
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#25]
You are spot on in the ability to switch between the 1911 and a Glock.  I carry a G17 for work by policy but get to use a 1911 in my own time.  Never had any issues switching from one platform to another.  They are tools of a trade, nothing more or less.

If policy allowed for it, I would switch to the 1911 for everything and not look back.

I'm 39 but started on the 1911 at 28 years of age.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#26]
@03RN Clint is in favor of keeping your magazines loaded at all times. He recommends that you shoot each mag from time to time to verify it still works. He recommends treating magazines as consumables and throw away anything that doesn't work perfectly. I heed his advice by keeping all magazines loaded. I don't keep unloaded mags laying around. However, I don't throw a magazine away when it causes malfunctions. I typically keep it and make a yellow paint mark on it.

Regarding his 'Don't lift heavy things' quote, I think Clint is recommending that you lift things wisely. Many people get hurt in manufacturing because they lifted something weird. Obviously training allows you to lift heavier and heavier objects and your definition of heavy maybe different than mine. Clint uses his New Holland tractor if he has to move something heavy haha
View Quote
Then thats what he should say. Not rest the springs by downloading.

I work in healthcare, previously in commercial fishing. People get hurt lifting thing improperly. Lifting heavy thing makes people harder to kill.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 8:37:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: x_red_beard_x] [#27]
@03RN I agree with you on both points.

@douglasmorris99 To clarify, I am not saying a 1911 is better than a Glock. I am just not saying that. There are some aspects where a 1911 really excels. There are obviously aspects where Glocks and other striker fired pistols excel. It's ignorant to say one is better than the other without defining what the aspects of the gun you're comparing. It's no different than comparing a .22lr to a .45acp. Which one is better? You must first define how you will compare them. I'm enjoying learning the ins and outs of the 1911. It's something that I have never done. 1911s were not the popular choice of conceal carriers in my lifetime of carrying. If you're open minded, I'd recommend that you practice and carry a striker fired pistol for a full year and see what your think. It's all in efforts to learn more.

I didn't have much daylight left yesterday afternoon. I only took 50 rounds with me. Simple slow drills that I progressively worked faster. Each drill is two shots. One shot, slide lock reload, one shot. Target is a 10in plate at 25 yards. I start slow, making sure I make hits. Not sacrificing accuracy for speed. Then progressively increase speed of the reload, but keeping my shot slow. It's difficult to do. I do not have a shot timer, but this is great practice.

I'm finding that frequent focused low round count shooting is really improving my shooting. I'm going to the range with specific goals to work toward. I don't take much ammo (typically 8 magazines) and focus on what I did that is good and what I did that was bad. So often, a group of us go shooting and I'll shoot 300-500 rounds in a day. When I reflect on what I've learned at a range session like that, I typically only think about how quickly the front sight gets back on target and how fast I can run the trigger. On these kinds of days, I don't focus on drawing, deliberate shooting, and re-holstering like I should.

Shoot more often, conserve your ammo for focused drills, take your time and think about how each drill went.

Make the first shot of the day count. Put pressure on yourself and challenge yourself for the first shot. Similarly to riflemanship, that cold bore shot is the most important shot you'll ever take. Learn to hit what you're aiming for.

Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#28]

@douglasmorris99 To clarify, I am not saying a 1911 is better than a Glock. I am just not saying that. There are some aspects where a 1911 really excels. There are obviously aspects where Glocks and other striker fired pistols excel. It's ignorant to say one is better than the other without defining what the aspects of the gun you're comparing. It's no different than comparing a .22lr to a .45acp. Which one is better? You must first define how you will compare them. I'm enjoying learning the ins and outs of the 1911. It's something that I have never done. 1911s were not the popular choice of conceal carriers in my lifetime of carrying. If you're open minded, I'd recommend that you practice and carry a striker fired pistol for a full year and see what your think. It's all in efforts to learn more.

I didn't have much daylight left yesterday afternoon. I only took 50 rounds with me. Simple slow drills that I progressively worked faster. Each drill is two shots. One shot, slide lock reload, one shot. Target is a 10in plate at 25 yards. I start slow, making sure I make hits. Not sacrificing accuracy for speed. Then progressively increase speed of the reload, but keeping my shot slow. It's difficult to do. I do not have a shot timer, but this is great practice.

I'm finding that frequent focused low round count shooting is really improving my shooting. I'm going to the range with specific goals to work toward. I don't take much ammo (typically 8 magazines) and focus on what I did that is good and what I did that was bad. So often, a group of us go shooting and I'll shoot 300-500 rounds in a day. When I reflect on what I've learned at a range session like that, I typically only think about how quickly the front sight gets back on target and how fast I can run the trigger. On these kinds of days, I don't focus on drawing, deliberate shooting, and re-holstering like I should.

Shoot more often, conserve your ammo for focused drills, take your time and think about how each drill went.

Make the first shot of the day count. Put pressure on yourself and challenge yourself for the first shot. Similarly to riflemanship, that cold bore shot is the most important shot you'll ever take. Learn to hit what you're aiming for.

https://i.imgur.com/V4OFvFH.jpg
View Quote
@x_red_beard_x
Golden advice and commentary sir!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

I think we're on the same page. Wife and i are shooting tomorrow. Im going to focus on drawing from concealment and hitting my 8" plate at 15 yards.

One thing i try to do is not shoot the same drill for my entire session. Ive done the 1 shot then reload over and over again but found id anticipate the reload. Flub the first shot then nail the reload. Worse was reloading when i didn't have to because i drilled reloading after a single shot.

I found if i load 2-5 rounds per mag id still get a lot of reloads but not anticipate reloads
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:19:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Geralt55] [#30]

I work in healthcare, previously in commercial fishing. People get hurt lifting thing improperly. Lifting heavy thing makes people harder to kill.
View All Quotes

I remember the thread in GD where guys were talking about losing discs in their back to lifting 700lb landwhales out of houses.

On topic:  
I think the 1911 will endure much longer than some might think!
That good trigger, hell even the nostalgia and history, there's a lot of momentum and inertia it has.
If revolvers can endure, so can this platform.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
I don't want to be an ass, but stop posting pics of your gun.   We have seen enough.   And I don't need to spend money buying one, because I do not need one. Do not need one! Do not need one!

Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#32]

I think we're on the same page. Wife and i are shooting tomorrow. Im going to focus on drawing from concealment and hitting my 8" plate at 15 yards.

One thing i try to do is not shoot the same drill for my entire session. Ive done the 1 shot then reload over and over again but found id anticipate the reload. Flub the first shot then nail the reload. Worse was reloading when i didn't have to because i drilled reloading after a single shot.

I found if i load 2-5 rounds per mag id still get a lot of reloads but not anticipate reloads
View Quote
Training scars can definitely be a bad thing. Unfortunately, I have to shoot at an indoor range a lot. One thing I find myself doing sometimes is catching empty mags when I am doing a reload. I guess I'm trying to keep them from going out onto the range floor. I have to then consciously undo that habit I have created and just let the mags land on the table.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#33]
favorite thread on arf

keep it up op
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:06:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheQuadfather] [#34]
If you like carrying the 5" IWB do an aluminum framed 5".

I've carried one in 45 and one in 9mm and they're awesome.  The 4 1/4" is just not as reliable as a 5", and I personally found the 5" more comfortable @ 3:30-4:00.

A 5" steel gun with an X300 is gonna be a wide 5 fuckin pounds.  Fuck that.   This is a time to use the Glock in a Raven Perun.  When it comes to sticking guns down your pants, you gotta have a limit.

I've been shooting Glocks and 1911s both for over 20 years.

It's gonna break your heart but the 1911 will never keep up with the G17 unless you load some light 185s and get down to a 13-14lb recoil spring.

ETA:  If you want the trigger pull weight increased tune the sear spring.  Have a 1911 plumber do it with you if you never have.  Or drop in a Colt or Cylinder and Slide sear spring.  It'll almost always be about 4 1/2 lbs.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
View All Quotes
I noticed the obvious things, but the most interesting was how quickly I had adapted back to the natural point of aim of the Glock. I went back and forth without thinking about it.
I've always registered my finger on the frame of the pistol and it seems like they all point naturally like that.  If I get real high, like up to the ejection port with it, I have to make a way bigger correction with the sights.

With a Glock it's the fat spot on the frame, Beretta & Sig is right down the bottom edge of the slide, 1911 is over the slide stop nub.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:21:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By samuse:

I've always registered my finger on the frame of the pistol and it seems like they all point naturally like that.  If I get real high, like up to the ejection port with it, I have to make a way bigger correction with the sights.

With a Glock it's the fat spot on the frame, Beretta & Sig is right down the bottom edge of the slide, 1911 is over the slide stop nub.
View Quote
I put my finger on the trigger guard where it meets the frame on everything.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 10:28:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: x_red_beard_x] [#37]
I'm running my support hand thumb in front of the slide stop. I have somewhat large hands, and my support hand rests naturally far forward. I'll upload some pictures of my grip. It's the equivalent of the fat spot on a Glock. I personally don't put a finger in front of the trigger guard because typically I have a light mounted on the pistol. My grip changes slightly with a light, but I never notice it. I squeeze with the palm of my support hand more than anything.

@03RN I will start loading mags with random quantities of ammo moving forward. I have been getting in the habit of making an entire range trip about working on one drill. I like the advice to do more than one type of drill each outing.

@samuse I'd love to try an aluminum framed full size 1911. I've only shot aluminum commanders (Ruger, Colt, and Wilson). I've loved every single one. I do think a commander points more naturally for me (I don't know why). I'm seriously considering a Springfield Loaded Lightweight Operator next, if I don't get an STI Staccato 'C' or 'R'. If STI made a model 'C' in .45acp, it would probably seal the deal for me. I've personally had great success with commander 1911s, but I've only put maybe 1k-2k rounds with them. I've never personally owned one. I don't expect a 1911 to ever run with a Glock 17, mainly due to simply magazine capacity. However, I was getting bored with my Glocks. I was enjoying them, but I didn't look forward to going home just to shoot them. This Les Baer has given me a new passion to getting out and regularly shooting pistols again.
I may buy an extra mainspring and try playing around with it. I'd really prefer to have a heavier trigger for 90% of my shooting.

@togadelic Thanks man, I appreciate it!
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#38]
using a Colt lightweight commander that he carried when he turned 18. He carried it to the point hardly any of the nickle was left on the gun.
View Quote
Speaking of Lightweight Commanders

I've been carrying this gun since 1996.  They'll bury me with it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By @ZekeMenuar:

Speaking of Lightweight Commanders

I've been carrying this gun since 1996.  They'll bury me with it.
View Quote
Dude, I love that! You can tell you've actually carried it and use it. I absolutely love seeing guns being used as tools and not just for 'range practice'
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Im jonesing for a lw railed commander too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#41]
I want to like a commander but I feel like the slide length is ok, so I think I’ll stick to more ammo lol. I too love a well work pistol!! I need to re do my range and targets now for better reliable practice.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 12:14:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ironhandjohn] [#42]
I'm a Gen X'er and my go to guns are Glocks and 1911's. I'm heading to the range with both in a few minutes.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2261/IMG_3352_JPG-1202762.JPG
View Quote
Gen-X dittos from me. After trying out a bunch of different brands over the last almost 3 decades, I stick with either a 9mm Glock or full-size 1911.

After shooting bare-bones basic models like the Springfield GI & Tisas Zig1911, I’ve decided that an ambi thumb safety and extended grip safety are mandatory. Basic 1911s chew up my large hands, no matter how I grip them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#43]
A very slow weekend for me. Not much range time at all. Not much reloading time either. Life got in the way. That's okay though, because my AWS belt came in the mail. This is my first 'war' belt. I've always used my everyday belt for matches. I didn't see much of a need for one. I really liked the idea of having some medical kit and dump pouch on me when I go shoot (I typically have it in my backpack in the truck, but not on me). Most of my shooting is done alone about 150 yards away from the truck. I could have just brought my backpack with me, but for the price of the AWS, you can't go wrong.

I still have more tweaking to get everything settled properly. I am right handed, but left eye dominate. So, my pistol mags must be on my left side, but my rifle mag is on my right. I haven't figured out the best position for everything yet, but this is what I'm trying.

Current setup (from 12 O'clock clockwise):

Pistol Holster

Rifle Taco (I need something for both AK and AR, I primarily shoot AKs)

Space for a Medical Kit

Trex-Arms Dump Pouch

2x Esstac Double 1911 Mag Pouches

I need some help identifying what I should get included in my medical kit. I'm seriously thinking about this kit. I plan to take a medical class this year. I'm CPR certified, but I don't have any emergency medical training. That should soon change. Any advice you guys have?

Link Posted: 1/13/2020 9:10:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: steviesterno16] [#44]
snip

I need some help identifying what I should get included in my medical kit. I'm seriously thinking about this kit. I plan to take a medical class this year. I'm CPR certified, but I don't have any emergency medical training. That should soon change. Any advice you guys have?

https://i.imgur.com/CcsaCBb.jpg
View Quote
@x_red_beard_x I just realized we also have the same watch, in addition to gun and knife. I think we should be friends

as far as the light weight operator, I owned one for a while. It shot nice, but the full size grip just killed it. At that point I could have been carrying a full size and gotten better ballistics and sight radius, so I switched to a light weight loaded. I didn't shoot it as well as a Baer, so sold that to fund my first Baer. If you want to try smaller/lighter I would suggest either the range officer compact (CCO, so 4" or so upper on an officer's frame). I have meaty hands and that still fits me well.

I am really close to getting a staccato C. I have shot a number of the Ps and they are fantastic. I don't like the recoil impulse of a short 45, so 9mm for me. Plus when people start slinging 185gn 45s that's not much different than a good 147 gn 9mm, and you get a few more in there. Cheaper practice is always nice, too.

EDIT, I forgot med stuff. If you want kit on you, I would suggest the following list, made up to your preferences and needs:
PHONE
shears
gauze
gloves
TQ
I feel that anything literally ON YOU should be to immediately stop a decent bleed, on yourself or others. If you shoot yourself in the leg (please don't) you should be able to call 911 before you try and tq yourself. The best bet is getting care on the way and then doing what you can.

The following should be nearby. But this stuff is boo-boos. Not going to die from it:
copies of above, since it lives in the truck
bandaids
water
alcohol wipes
sunscreen
bug stuff
chapstick
meds
tweezers
ice packs

While I carry all of the above at the outdoor ranges I go to, the worst I've had to do is dig a piece of jacket out of a friend's thigh. good to have handy though
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#45]
@steviesterno16 You clearly have excellent taste! The Staccato C is definitely a contender for my next gun. It's probably the most logical choice to carry a 1911 style firearm. I just prefer to carry full size pistols. I'm still young (29) and stupid. I'll make the decision at the NRA convention, where I can go back and forth picking them up and playing with them.

I currently don't carry nitrile gloves in my backpack. That's probably something I should add to it.

I also don't carry alcohol wipes, tweezers, or ice packs with me. I probably need to rethink a few things.

One thing I always keep with me is Silvadene. It's wonderful for burns. I burnt myself in the field off a muffler, I literally grabbed a muffler where it says 'DO NOT TOUCH' (again, I'm not the brightest) to prevent from falling. I drove myself to the emergency room, but all they did was clean the wound and wrap it with some Silvadene. I have kept it with me since. Burns suck and are more frequent than gun shot wounds in my next of the woods.

I may add what I add to my kit and I run this belt in the next match.

I'm also considering adding a 5th pistol mag #becausesinglestack
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#46]
@steviesterno16 You clearly have excellent taste! you are correct The Staccato C is definitely a contender for my next gun. It's probably the most logical choice to carry a 1911 style firearm. I just prefer to carry full size pistols. I'm still young (29) and stupid. I'm 36. Not getting any smarter. a compact that shoots like a full size but is small enough to actually get carried is a compromise I'm willing to make.  I'll make the decision at the NRA convention, where I can go back and forth picking them up and playing with them.

I currently don't carry nitrile gloves in my backpack. That's probably something I should add to it. you should. don't work on others without them and people are more likely to work on you if you have them

I also don't carry alcohol wipes, tweezers, or ice packs with me. I probably need to rethink a few things. shoot enough and you'll see enough splinters moving targets, grabbing steel that's a bit splattered, pick up a bullet jacket that's sharp, or pinch yourself either reloading or sending the slide forward. expect boo-boos but be ready for blow outs.

One thing I always keep with me is Silvadene. It's wonderful for burns. I burnt myself in the field off a muffler, I literally grabbed a muffler where it says 'DO NOT TOUCH' (again, I'm not the brightest) to prevent from falling. I drove myself to the emergency room, but all they did was clean the wound and wrap it with some Silvadene. I have kept it with me since. Burns suck and are more frequent than gun shot wounds in my next of the woods.

I may add what I add to my kit and I run this belt in the next match.

I'm also considering adding a 5th pistol mag #becausesinglestack   I liked single stack and shot it for years. I would vote on a 10 round back-pocket barney mag, so you don't have to reload a mag during make ready. any time you break position you should be reloading. don't shoot the gun dry and don't miss steel and you'll be fine.
View Quote
one thing I may suggest if you're just starting competition shooting (and cause it's fun) is to get a bunch of 10 round mags. Lots of matches are set up for production shooters, and they are 10+1 at the start with 10 round reloads. eliminating standing reloads makes matches more fun. Who cares if you're L10, it's not like there's tons of people in SS and you should be shooting for you, anyway.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:

I don't want to be an ass, but stop posting pics of your gun.   We have seen enough.   And I don't need to spend money buying one, because I do not need one. Do not need one! Do not need one!

View Quote
He takes great pictures lol

OP I’m curious on your next purchase, been eying a Railed LW Range Officer
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Redbeard, Another real good ammo saver but effective drill is to start with a chambered round, remove the magazine. From a ready or draw, one shot, reset and one "shot" Works great for reset and follow up shot on same target or transition to another. Will show trigger control and sight tracking.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By mark5pt56:
Redbeard, Another real good ammo saver but effective drill is to start with a chambered round, remove the magazine. From a ready or draw, one shot, reset and one "shot" Works great for reset and follow up shot on same target or transition to another. Will show trigger control and sight tracking.
View Quote
Thanks, I will try that next time myself. Sounds like a solid way to conserve ammo and test oneself. It's been a wet mess around here for a week, hopefully it dries out a little soon to practice.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#50]
A very slow weekend for me. Not much range time at all. Not much reloading time either. Life got in the way. That's okay though, because my AWS belt came in the mail. This is my first 'war' belt. I've always used my everyday belt for matches. I didn't see much of a need for one. I really liked the idea of having some medical kit and dump pouch on me when I go shoot (I typically have it in my backpack in the truck, but not on me). Most of my shooting is done alone about 150 yards away from the truck. I could have just brought my backpack with me, but for the price of the AWS, you can't go wrong.

I still have more tweaking to get everything settled properly. I am right handed, but left eye dominate. So, my pistol mags must be on my left side, but my rifle mag is on my right. I haven't figured out the best position for everything yet, but this is what I'm trying.

Current setup (from 12 O'clock clockwise):

Pistol Holster

Rifle Taco (I need something for both AK and AR, I primarily shoot AKs)

Space for a Medical Kit

Trex-Arms Dump Pouch

2x Esstac Double 1911 Mag Pouches

https://i.imgur.com/CcsaCBb.jpg
View Quote
Awesome setup.  Regarding the med kit.  Definitely carry a tourniquet. I like the latest Gen CAT, but have also used SOF-T's.  Combat gauze or Israeli dressing. Gloves, and at least two chest seals, or some other occlusive dressing.  
I won't tie up this thread talking about med gear, so when I get time I'll shoot you an IM about where and what to purchase, if interested. At least give you some ideas on where to start and what direction to go.

I'm a current deputy and medic on my agency's SWAT team. Was a fire/medic for 20 years prior to going to the dark side. Also taught EMS for a pretty good while and currently teach TCCC to my agency as well as advanced stuff to our SWAT team.
Page / 45
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top