Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By 03rangerxlt:
what are your plans for finishing it (so it doesn't surface rust when its all put back together and running)?

I'm going to keep it well greased and not worry about refinishing.

if it gets rusty, i'll break out the brass wool and scrub her down again.

Link Posted: 8/14/2012 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#2]

what are your plans for finishing it (so it doesn't surface rust when its all put back together and running)?

He lives in California, nothing rusts there.

Link Posted: 8/14/2012 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By GLADIO:

He lives in California, nothing rusts there.  

...except minds...
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 3:11:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AJAX22:

I dare you to send it back to Colt and to ask for their Royal Bluing. Tell them you sent it to your local guy and he screwed it up, and it came back looking like that, and could they sharpen up the roll marks please

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 8:18:00 AM EDT
[#5]
^^^^
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 8:27:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

I dare you to send it back to Colt and to ask for their Royal Bluing. Tell them you sent it to your local guy and he screwed it up, and it came back looking like that, and could they sharpen up the roll marks please

You live up to your user name.

Fantastic work, OP.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I just ordered some springs, and a set of .45 pistol brushes to use on that barrel.

I also dug a firing pin and plunger out of my random parts bin,

I took a pattern file out and knocked the burr out of the plunger channel, so as of right now I can assemble this top end on another frame.

I also managed to get the last bushing out of the frame but it did get rather munched in the process.... definitely going to have to replace the grip bushings.

I "May" have gotten carried away tapping on the firing pin with the wrong type of punch... and mushroomed it out.... and then took a pattern file to it to grind it flush and am waiting on a set of punches to show up so I can bang on it properly....

I'm going to ignore the firing pin for now (while I wait for the punch set... and instead focus on salvaging the mainspring housing

I'm also looking for a ugly 1911 magazine that is somewhat period correct..

I would prefer to get a period correct plunger as well.... but I'm not 100% certain what a period correct plunger looks like...

As well as a set of 1911 grips (I have 1911a1 grips, but i kind of like the idea of using old period correct grips)
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have a spare AR chamber brush, that will work well in the barrel.
While not the same situation, I used one to clean an old barrel and it worked well.
I tried a regular .45 bore brush and then a SS .45 bore brush, but neither worked well and didn't get me anywhere
before

after

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 2:33:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cbsaf] [#10]
That plunger tube should have the inner workings slide out from front to rear.  The safety plunger side is larger than the slide stop plunger side.  Get the safety side free first and it should all come out that way.  Is the plunger tube staked on firmly?  It seems like it should be loose if the crimped legs had been rusted away too much.

The slide stop issue of falling out is disconcerning.  The slide stop plunger is threre to force the slide stop into the down position.  The magazine follower pushes it up and then the plunger acts as the spring to make it drop again.  The slide stop itself is held into the gun by the slide, not that plunger.  The rear tab on the slide stop should be taller than the edge of the slide in all areas except the takedown notch.  Can the slide stop be pulled out by hand by any means other than lining up the takedown notch?
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By cbsaf:
That plunger tube should have the inner workings slide out from front to rear.  The safety plunger side is larger than the slide stop plunger side.  Get the safety side free first and it should all come out that way.  Is the plunger tube staked on firmly?  It seems like it should be loose if the crimped legs had been rusted away too much.

The slide stop issue of falling out is disconcerning.  The slide stop plunger is threre to force the slide stop into the down position.  The magazine follower pushes it up and then the plunger acts as the spring to make it drop again.  The slide stop itself is held into the gun by the slide, not that plunger.  The rear tab on the slide stop should be taller than the edge of the slide in all areas except the takedown notch.  Can the slide stop be pulled out by hand by any means other than lining up the takedown notch?

Yes, the slide stop can be pulled out at any point, I think it may need some metal added to it to make it function properly..

Thankfully the bit that would need to be altered is hidden when the gun is assembled.

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Yes, the slide stop can be pulled out at any point, I think it may need some metal added to it to make it function properly..

Thankfully the bit that would need to be altered is hidden when the gun is assembled.

Does it look like the slide stop or the bottom edge of the slide is the culprit?   Does the slide stop from the other blood gun stay in the rusted gun when cycled?

It is a non collectable at this point.  Just go to Brownells or Midway and buy a new Colt slide stop, plunger tube guts, firing pin, grip bushings, and I would personally get a new barrel link and pin if you have any inclination to fire it.  If you want the parts to not stand out, just use some rust remover to thin the blueing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Does it look like the slide stop or the bottom edge of the slide is the culprit?   Does the slide stop from the other blood gun stay in the rusted gun when cycled?

It is a non collectable at this point.  Just go to Brownells or Midway and buy a new Colt slide stop, plunger tube guts, firing pin, grip bushings, and I would personally get a new barrel link and pin if you have any inclination to fire it.  If you want the parts to not stand out, just use some rust remover to thin the blueing.

i'm trying to re-use as many of the original parts as posible... I have a whole sack of USGI spare parts I keep around in my 'random stuff' bin.

My initial impression was that the culpret was the slide stop... and I will do a bit of diagnostic work when I get back home to see if I can fix it by swaping the slide stop.

I have spare barrel links and pins as well,

I just like the challange of trying to use as many of the originals as possible.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 7:40:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wildbill990] [#14]
Whats the legality of a gun like this? Obv I'd think it's C&R but not familiar with cali law and found firearms, just curious.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Just saw your videos about the "new" revolver.

Mother of God.

I'd try a new method here: White Vinegar Blueing.

It wil turn anything rust into a solid rust blue, instead of revealing all the pitting under that same rust as electolisys does.

Look for it on the Web,

or just remember to boil the gun ( yeah, exactly ) into a solution 40% White Vinegar, 60% demineralized water.

You'll be seeing red rust turn into black Iron Oxide. scrub lightly with a ScotchBrite pad and there's your new finish.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#16]

I'm working away... things have been busy around here recently... but I'm making steady progress
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 3:52:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Wooooooooo

Got the firing pin retaining plate off and I think It's salvageable...
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 7:17:02 AM EDT
[#18]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45FgWShlrd4

Wooooooooo

Got the firing pin retaining plate off and I think It's salvageable...

that's great progress.

The revolver barrel is coming along well too.

Keep it up!
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#19]
i cant wait to see this thing in action
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#20]

I may have mushroomed the firing pin a bit.... she seems like she's being held in by gunk, so I'm going to run the sldie again through the electrolysis.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Can you see enough of the firing pin to drill & tap a small hole in it?  Might be able to thread a small bolt into it and extract it thusly.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#22]

still have the pin and extractor frozen :(
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 11:31:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Worst case scenario you could drill out the remnants of the firing pin and install a hardened insert in the breach face.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 2:41:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By eric10mm:
Have you considered soaking it in an ultrasonic cleaner filled with some sort of penetrating oil to get the FP loose?  

This would probably work really well...fill an ultrasonic tank with ATF/Acetone mixture or something similar and let it run for a while...you can buy them pretty inexpensively these days, even from reloading stores; I know Hornady makes one for cleaning brass or pistols...which is what I use mine for. (And AR BCGs)

It's not great for getting ALL the crud off/out but it definitely takes care of the larger chunks and softens everything else up so it'll come off muuuch easier.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 2:59:11 AM EDT
[#26]
I have returned from Utah

I'm working all weekend but should be able to tap on things a bit sat or sun night

Utah was awesome by the way

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#27]

still working on the firing pin
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Is there some reason you are pushing on the extractor? Have you tried putting a leather or metal shim against the back of the slide (opposite from extractor) and trying to pry the extractor out with a screwdriver in the slide stop slot, prying outwards from the rear of the slide leveraging agains the other side of the rear of the slide?
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 12:29:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Extractor is loose....
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 12:42:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Extractor is out!!!!!!

BAM! kick it up a notch with a blast from your spiceweasle
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 4:03:37 AM EDT
[#31]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpERVZJvYQ0

Extractor is out!!!!!!

Nice!

Yeah, you're gonna need a new extractor

Pick one up from Cylinder & Slide; they're made to original spec, out of spring steel. Should be a direct drop-in replacement for the original one. (Well, minor fitting involved probably, but you get the idea...it's about as original as you'll find short of sourcing one from WWII or earlier)

Link Posted: 9/5/2012 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#32]
I can't see the vids at the moment.  All that is left is the FP?  Correct?
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By zaskar017:
I can't see the vids at the moment.  All that is left is the FP?  Correct?

Firing pin, mainspring, and slidestop detents....

The firing pin is the only one thats preventing it from firing right now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 4:33:34 AM EDT
[#34]

Firing pin is OUT!!!!!

Top end should be functional now :D

Just need to rustle up a few parts to replace the ones I mangled getting her apart....

Mainspring housing and slide stop detents are still an issue... but a less critical issue than the FP was.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Can't wait to see this thing fire!
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Most awesome thread is most Awesome

Good work man!
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 5:59:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cbsaf] [#37]
I don't know why you are having so much trouble getting the slide stop and thumb safeties out of the plunger tube.  Grab the safety plunger with a pair of pliers and pull straight back.  It should come right out.  Then the slide stop plunger needs to go through the tube and come out the same end as the safety plunger.

As far as the mainspring goes, lay the housing on a solid surface upright and place a punch or a phillips screwdriver onto the plunger.  It should compress and break free with a little body weight.  Then just take a proper punch and drive the mainspring retaining pin out from the external side towards the side that faces inward against the frame.  Just know that when you pull the punch out you also need to depress the mainspring or point it at a solid block of wood to keep the mainspring from shooting out of the housing.

It should take all of 10 minutes after getting the slide done.  The slide was the hard part.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 1:00:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Finally caught up with this thread. Excellent work! Shouldn't be long before she is shooting

Does anybody make a gun equivalent of bondo? lol.... What would be the best way to refinsh the frame and slide if it is serviceable piece that actually shoots?
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 1:41:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By JPD158:
Finally caught up with this thread. Excellent work! Shouldn't be long before she is shooting

Does anybody make a gun equivalent of bondo? lol.... What would be the best way to refinsh the frame and slide if it is serviceable piece that actually shoots?

Just oil it and keep it out of the mud!

Hell, if the thing is in good enough condition to shoot, replace what has to be replaced (for function and/or for safety), and leave the rest alone.
My opinion only, of course, but I wouldn't do anything to try and make it pretty.  That honest "ugliness" is a function of the pistol's history and is what makes it interesting.  
I've got maybe six or eight 1911s right now (mostly older ones) and if I set them all out on the bench next to this one, which one do you think would generate the most discussion?

OP, I salute you.  Based on the early pics, I would have written that off and mounted it on a plaque as a conversation piece.  I am really pleased to see you bringing it back to life!

Link Posted: 9/18/2012 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Any updates OP?
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#41]
This is so cool.
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#42]
One of the top threads of 2012.

Subscribed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Awesome. Just awesome. Well done
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#44]
More awesomeness . :-)
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 12:54:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Impatiently waiting for an update...
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#46]
What a great thread.!!  Now...if you were a daring man..you'd get a 9x25 Dillon barrel and bushing, bury it in the dirt for a bit to get it real authentic, then let that blaster loose at 1550fps....what could possibly go wrong???

Link Posted: 9/19/2012 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#47]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpERVZJvYQ0

Extractor is out!!!!!!

i like the futurama reference

this is an awesome thread!
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Eagerly awaiting updates.

Very cool project OP. Sure hope the Old Girl runs again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#49]
What patience you have Ajax22.  Like everyone else...I can't wait to see it all back together as a shooter!
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Damn!  I'm getting exited, and it's not even my project

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top