Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 6:00:58 PM EDT
Tell me about it.  I know it isn't a true 1911 but it is clearly meant to look and operate like a mini 1911.  So, I was hoping a 1911 comrade could give me some feedback on the gun. It seems like it might be a nice backup piece for a daily carry setup if you carry a 1911.  I have found a lot of good feedback on it.  Downside sounds like it is a little heavier than other .380s, it is pricey for what it is, and I would want a ambi-safety which I don't know if it is possible.  Anyone own it and/or have some experience with it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I have yet to have the pleasure to shoot it but I have handled one and I like it. It come with tritium sights and the one with the Rosewood grips looks pretty good. Best of all it has a 1911 battery of arms. You can buy a Kel-Tec but I don't know how well those will hold up...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#2]
My step-dad ccw's one, and I have shot it several times. I like it, but I prefer my full size 1911's.
Pretty reliable feeding, and very easy to conceal.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My step-dad ccw's one, and I have shot it several times. I like it, but I prefer my full size 1911's.

It wouldn't be a substitute for a 1911 it would be a back up to a 1911.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wouldn't be a substitute for a 1911 it would be a back up to a 1911.

I forgot to add that it would make a fine bug -
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#5]
These were completely off my radar until a friend got one recently.  

I handled his, but have not shot it.  Seems fairly impressive n the context of a .380.

Interestingly, I have one of its design ancestors... A Star DK (StarFire).
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#6]
When my wife decided to carry, I let her have her choice of any of the little .380 pocket pistols, and she chose the SIG after shooting it, the KAHR, Ruger and Taurus.  I liked it so much after shooting hers that I bought one for myself as well.  It is just a hair longer and heavier than the other pocket .380s, but I can't tell the difference while carrying it.  Shooting it is actually fun.  It has really nice sights, recoils less than any other pocket .380 I have shot, is more accurate than a tiny gun has any right to be, and, at least my two samples, have been perfectly reliable.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#7]
And friend of mine and I bought a couple of them several months ago after the salesman offered to let us shoot one at the range
for free.

I agreed to shoot it, but really wasn't expecting to be able to hit anything with it.....and thought it'd be a handful also.

I was wrong.  Very wrong.

It's really pleasant to shoot, and I can easily keep all rounds inside a 3 inch stick-on dot at 10 yards.  Strongside only, weekside only,
two handed (either one dominant), doesn't matter.  When developing handloads for it, I found two combinations that rewarded me with
one inch and change 5-shot groups at 10 yards when I shoot slowly.

The only nagative is that it goes through recoil springs really fast....haven't had one last for more than 500 rounds, and one was deformed
and useless after about 200.

The hardest thing about shooting it is keeping a finger off the slide stop (to allow the slide to lock back on an empty mag), cause it's so small.

As long as I keep a fresh recoil spring in it, it's been 100% reliable and actually fun to use.

Grizz
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey Grizz, are you using factory replacement springs or Colt Mustang springs when you replace them?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been using Wolff 12 pound springs for Mustangs.  As soon as I see the Sig springs available on their
website, I plan to buy some to try them out.  They haven't been in stock since I bought it.

Grizz
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:34:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the 2-tone blackwood version. I was looking for a BUG to my 1911 and shorts/t-shirt carry for summer. At first i didn't want to spend that much, but after shooting the P3AT, Ruger, Taurus, and the P238 there was no question. The price difference is apparent in quality, operation, and features. Buy your second gun first! I liked the tritium sights, where the others barely had any. Slide lock when the mag is empty. The big thing for me was my trigger finger didn't feel like it was curling back 180 degrees to shoot it.  Like the others have stated here the accuracy was incredible for such a short barrel. I made myself a custom leather pocket holster with a "spacer" to have it ride at just the right height in the pocket. Made a IWB clip for it too. I don't even notice it's there.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_kymWBlXOJfY/TJCuUp8nmuI/AAAAAAAAAE4/Dbg6uNjVdCQ/s800/IMG_0571.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_kymWBlXOJfY/TJCuU1QNseI/AAAAAAAAAE8/nYElw9LSk8o/s800/IMG_0581.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top