Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2002 8:27:57 PM EDT
Ok, I know I may piss some people off, and I'm not interested in, "why would  you ever..?" so don't waste your breath.

Is it possible to convert a recent production 1911 like a Kimber... etc. to 9mm even if the mfg does not make a conversion?

I know Springfield Armory produces a 1911 in 9mm, but can you convert a Springfield .45 to 9mm or (for ex.) use Springfield parts in a Kimber ? Are 1911 parts interchangeable?

(flame suit on)

Thanks for any assistance.

--LS
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#1]
There are several reason for wanting a 9mm 1911 so there's nothing wrong with that.

1911 parts are _mostly_ interchangable.  There might be some issue with proprietery systems like the firing pin safety that Kimber has added to their current 1911s, but I'm not sure of the details.

You should be able to put a 9mm barrel and slide on pretty much any 1911 frame, but you might need to install a different ejector.

If you want to be able to shoot both .45 and 9mm then you'll probably be better off just buying a second 1911 either in 9mm or in .38 special and buying an after market barrel for it.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 4:34:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the feedback Hop.

The question I forgot to ask:

If you were going to set up a 1911 for 9mm, what platform would you use?  Springfield, Kimber, Norinco?

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Longshot

If you picked up a slide with fp fp stop
extractor and barrel in it, and you replaced the ejector you still have one issue

the 45 ramp is cut deeper into the frame and therefore furthere forward. the 9mm barrel will often hang out past the ramp and not feed, I say often because some have gotten away with it, but usually they do not work.

for economy
Caspian frame is the most cost effective place to start, 150.00 ish retail. If you want to put a gun together you will end up trashing many internal parts so why buy them to throw them away?

Some frames will fit many slides.
Caspian frames will often fit a colt or springfield slide better than the colt frame.
But if you get a caspian slide it will usually not slide on a caspaian or STI SV frame

thanks
geo ><>
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Longshot......there are very good reasons for having a 9 mm  1911.....all three mfgs you mentioned make them....what you have to do is consider exactly what you want to do....do you want only nine?...or both....so to expend as little $ as possible to achieve your goal......
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the feedback.

I have not seen a Kimber in 9mm. Don't know if or not they make one, but I have never seen one.

From what I've read, building one from scratch can be more expensive than getting a decently accessorized Kimber. (so if they make a 9mm that would be cool)

Ideally, since I'd like to use this as a ccw, I would prefer a 4" over a 5" barrel. But I would think that would make if more difficult to build. This train of thought/questions could go on and on...

If you were going to do this, where would you start?

Buy a Norinco and then use what peices? Is that more cost effective then starting  with a Caspian frame? Is there a good source for these parts and/or advice so I won't have to keep buggin you all?

(btw, I'll do a search here to real up on old posts. just need a few min)

Thanks again. Very helpful.
--LS

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:08:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#7]
My .02  

9mm 1911 are great guns and ammo is cheaper than 45.  That said buying the individual parts is almost more expensive that buying a complete gun.  There are many compaines that make lower end ($350-$500) 1911's in 9mm and you may consider that.

If you really want one frame and 2 top ends I suggest buying an SVI slide.  These slides have an interchangable breechface so if later on you want a .40 all you need is a new breechface, the barrel and ejector but not a new slide.  SVI parts are top quailty and can be had from www.shootersconnection.com and www.speedshooters.com  but they are pricey.  A slide w/one breechface with bomar sight cuts will run about $350, then you beed a barrel $100-$200, firing pin, stop, extractor and ejector and a new recoil spring $100.  The bushing may be able to be reused, as well as the guide rod and plug.

A regular slide with G.I. sight cuts will run $120 to $200 depending on maker.  

So I'd suggest buying a complete gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top