Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2003 5:03:17 PM EDT
LOOKING AT CZ'S,STAR BM,MOLINE{.45},AND OTHERS.HAVE A LIMIT ON $$.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Makarov

E.German if you can find one, otherwise a Russian or Bulgi.
Simply the best.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 5:50:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Second vote for the Mak.  Best $150 I've spent in a very long time.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 5:56:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Sticking to surplus.

Older Smith revolvers. Best bang for the buck out there.

Star BM, B, B Super.

EG or Russian Military MAKs.

But there are some great new or non-C&R guns that will be in the same price range or even a little less.

ARCUS M-94 or M-98.
FEG PJK 9HP
FM M-95
STAR UltraStar (IMHO the BEST 9mm compact polymer handgun ever made)
SiG 230
Bulgarian Maks

Check them out as well for a low cost effective CCW gun.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 5:58:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Makarov

E.German if you can find one, otherwise a Russian or Bulgi.
Simply the best.

Yup, what he said...Some was selling a NEW EG Mak here for 350 last week.  I wish I had the money for another.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the FEG PPK clones in .380. My clone worked better than my Walther PPK/S. My wife and I fight over who gets to carry it for CCW.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are sticking with surplus I'd vote for either a FM High Power or a Sistema Colt.  If you are just trying to stay under a certain budget then I'd look at the Kel Tec P11 or even an Arcus Hi Power clone.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out the FEG PA-63's in 9mm Makarov.  I picked  one up for $96 and some change (see J&G sales in AZ) and it has been one nice shooter. I replaced the springs with a Wolff kit from Makarov.com that consisted of a new recoil spring and hammer spring. The double/single action feel was improved big time and I haven't had a misfire or jam out of approx. 500 round of Barnual JHP ammo. Some have complained that the recoil on this piece is rough, but after two or three outings with it, it isn't even an issue at all. All in all mine is a fine handgun and I have NO regrets in buying it.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably a Makarov, I have a CZ-52, and there is no way in hell Id carry that thing, probably wind up shooting myself
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:27:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm about to get a couple Star BM pistols, and I've already found some spare parts.  I've read as much as I can about them, and from it, I've heard a few bad things (which means I know a few of the problems to look out for), but many more GOOD things.  Like how nice the triggers are, and how accurate they are.  For $150 each, I don't think you can go wrong.  Since I'm also going to a store that actually has some, I'll be able to inspect them firsthand before taking a couple home.  

OTHERWISE, a Mak would be nice, as I've heard lots of good things about them, or a good Sistema Colt.  

Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#10]
If a CZ-75 is an option, I'd pick it.  I went into a store lookin for a Makarov, came out with the CZ.  It be the tits.  Comfy, accurate, 15 round mags. While I still want a Mak at some point, I can't believe how great a shooter the CZ turned out to be. 9x19 really frees up ammo choices and availability too. Only problem now is the ensuing ammo bill
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Makarov. Small, cheap and reliable.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:07:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Oops, maybe I didn't read close enough.. If it's between a CZ-52 and a Mak, get the Mak.  The 52 is fun and all, but the Mak is reliable as all get out and compact.  The '75 is gonna run you more than the makarov, unless you get a real good deal on the '75 or a real bad one on the Mak :)
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 2:41:53 AM EDT
[#13]
The PA63 in 9mm mak is an excellent lightweight very accurate small frame gun, the Makarovs themselves are a little boxier but also no nonsense shooters. I've also had a CZ75 but it was for me way to big for carry but another excellent gun. If I were looking for a powerful reliable inexpensive CCW I'd get a Hungarian/FEG High Power ($200) or a Tokarev in either 7.62X25 or 9mm ($150). I've owned them all over the years, have fired thousands of rounds, never had a problem. My favorite CCWs depending on weather/concealibility are: .25 Schmeisser/Suhl,.32 Walther PP, 7.62x25 Russian Tokarev, and 9mm BHP. Same as listed above. Just cause a gun is inexpensive doesn't mean its cheap.

rk
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Makarov or a FEG PA63, both are small enough for easy carry and cheap. The FEG has the edge on weight though. If ya want a full size... well the field is wide open.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Does anyone know what the FEG PA63 weighs in ounces?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Mak or CZ50 (not the cz52)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top