Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2003 3:03:53 PM EDT
I am in the market for a new 44 mag DA revolver, it will be used for deer hunting and a little plinking. I like the S&W 629, I have never owned one,but have shot a buddy's several times.

I have my eye on the S&W 629 Light Hunter Performance Center model. What I am getting at is the Performance Center models worth the extra cost? Or would the standard model 629 serve the purpose just as well? ...... I am hoping someone here has a Performance model and give me some feedback.

Thanks   Greg
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, they're worth the extra $$$. For that you get extra attention to fitting, lighter springs & a bit more on the resell end if you ever do so.

If you like it, buy it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a PC 629 Stealth Hunter, and it has become my favorite handgun.  This is my first revolver, so I can't really compare it against others.  But, I just love the looks of the Stealth Hunter, as well as the heavy barrel, Magna ports and built in scope rail.  When I compared the trigger pull to a standard 629 at the gun shop, the PC one was much smoother and a little lighter too.

I was considering the Light Hunter that you like, and I think it's a dead sexy gun as well.  However, no shops local to me had one, and the one I bought was used (barely) for a great price, so I jumped on it.   Sure, you can get a 629 and have a smith work on it for about the same price, or even less, but this way you get a factory warranty to back it up.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the new "Light Hunter" model. 7 1/2" compensated barrel.

It is sexy looking, but it is not so much fun to shoot.

It comes with two sets of grips that are both comfortable, but the ported barrel works too well. When you shoot it, most of the recoil is straight back. This causes a lot of wear and tear on your palm and wrist. The wood grips are hard, so they soak up none of the impact. The rubber grips have a point on the butt, so they kind of dig into your hand upon recoil.

Nicely crafted, and the trigger pull is good. I like the fact that it comes with a scope rail you can install without having to remove the rear sight. It will make a fabulous safe queen. I'll shoot it some, but not often.

My eight inch Colt Anaconda is much nicer to shoot. The six inch Anaconda I sold also was easier on the body to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Back to add...

My Anaconda is not ported, which makes a difference when comparing how the two guns feel when shooting them.

I have never owned or fired a standard 629, so I really can't draw any comparisons there.

I just dug the PC out of the safe to fondle it a bit. It may hurt a little to shoot it, but it sure is sweet.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Just got my PC 500 Hunter.  Looks much nicer than the standard S&W.  The trigger action feels nice and smooth.  I haven't worked up the cahoneys to fire it yet --- I am still looking for a concealed carry holster for the gun....
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#6]
ANything "Performance Center" is the closest thing you'll get to a handmade gun.  Sure, the main parts are made normally (machining them separately would just be reinventing the wheel and overly expensive for no real gain).  The gun is hand fitted, and that means all parts, not just a simple trigger job or smoothing.   As I understand it, it is done "on the bench" by one pistolsmith.  (That is, they have a number of smiths, but just one works on the gun and turns it out).  Some other manaufacturers' premium guns are based on standard frames and parts, and a production line of smiths does a little something on each and then sends it to the next.

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just got my PC 500 Hunter.  Looks much nicer than the standard S&W.  The trigger action feels nice and smooth.  I haven't worked up the cahoneys to fire it yet --- I am still looking for a concealed carry holster for the gun....

CCW Holster for a S&W 500. Hmmm....
Backpack? Suitcase? Maybe you could hire a gunbearer?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have the new "Light Hunter" model. 7 1/2" compensated barrel.

It is sexy looking, but it is not so much fun to shoot.

It comes with two sets of grips that are both comfortable, but the ported barrel works too well. When you shoot it, most of the recoil is straight back. This causes a lot of wear and tear on your palm and wrist. The wood grips are hard, so they soak up none of the impact. The rubber grips have a point on the butt, so they kind of dig into your hand upon recoil.

Nicely crafted, and the trigger pull is good. I like the fact that it comes with a scope rail you can install without having to remove the rear sight. It will make a fabulous safe queen. I'll shoot it some, but not often.

My experience has been much different.  The PC 629 has now become my most favorite handgun to shoot, and I'm a die hard 1911 fan.  The porting works quite well, but I have not been felt that the straight back recoil is at all painful.  The muzzle still climbs, it is a .44 Mag after all!  The Stealth Hunter does weigh 4 more ounces than the Light Hunter, and with my Aimpoint/ARMS mount combo, the gun tips the scales at 4 lbs even.  That may have something to do with it.

You might want to consider different grips.  A friend has a standard 629 with Trausch grips, and it shoots very well.  www.trausch.com  Too bad this guy is in France.......
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm glad you like your Stealth Hunter.

Weighing 12 ounces more and being ported differently would likely make some difference in felt recoil.

Actually, the Hogue rubber Combat grip on the Stealth Hunter model looks pretty comfortable. It does not have the pointed heal that the Hogue rubber grip provided with my gun has.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Better check your states laws on CCW,here a .45 is the biggest you can carry!

Bob
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:39:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Here is a update, I picked up the PC Hunter last week. I put a Burris RedDot on it,and changed to the rubber grip. I have shot it with two factory loads I had on hand. I shot at 50yds Remington 240gr JSP gave about 2"group, and Federal 240gr JHP gave about 1 1/2"group.

The ported barrel does work very well. The recoil is tame IMO. Of course I did sell my Ruger SRH 454 to buy this one, and it was money well spent, this may turn into my favorite handgun......Thanks for all the info and feedback.

Greg

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top