Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/19/2003 8:29:52 AM EDT

I have Springfield Champion 1911, don't like its notched beavertail grip safety.
I want to change Ed Brown beaver grip safety.

The question is: how hard is it to change beaver grip safety? Is there instruction in the 'net?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:35:49 AM EDT
mojo;

The Brown safety requires some metal removal and cannot be retro-fitted to some guns with existing beavertails without a lot of work. Try emailing Brown to find out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:57:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2003 10:57:53 AM EDT by ECS]
I have installed the Ed Brown beavertail before in a Springfield 45. You need to get the jig they sell. Its two round pieces that screw together on the frame of your gun. Then you simply file the frame down until you can't file away any more metal. The jig is hard so you can't file it.

After that you install the safety, check for function and you are done (if the gun is stainless). If its blued then you need to blue the frame.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:11:12 AM EDT

Thanks ikor, ECS.

After reading more carefully, it states on the label that some metal of the frame needed to be removed.
Damn. Looks like a lot of work, and I don't like the idea of file on the frame.

So do you gents know what quality beavertail safety grip (without the little notch) would fit without any alteration?
Thanks for the info. and advice.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:34:28 AM EDT
mojo'

If you are speaking about the "notch" in the top center of the safety, you need it for the hammer to ride in when it is at full cock. This is done so that the hand can ride higher on the pistol, and the Brown safety also has it. The Wilson grip safety does not have the notch, but I'm not certain that it will fit the Champion because of the difference in frame contour.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 12:05:33 PM EDT
It really isn't that hard to do. All you have to do it take you time. If I can do it anyone can do it. Check out the link below. He gives pretty good in instruction on how to do it. Go for it bro. It is worth the feeling of accomplishment when you are done.

www.blindhogg.com/gunsmith/beavertails.html
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:33:45 PM EDT
Isn't the Kings #204 as drop in as one can get for a Springfield? Ikor I am not sure what notch you are referring to but you might want to check out the Kings beavertail.
Top Top