Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2003 8:35:48 AM EDT
I just saw that Charles Daly is offering a made in U.S.A. High Power.

Retail is $499.00 with XS Express Sights

Has anybody seen one in person yet?
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw an ad for one in this months' Amercian Rifleman.  Looks interesting.  The made in USA part is curious, wonder who is actually cranking them out.  To the best of my knowledge Daly has never manufacuted anything, just rebadged stuff, usually from overseas.  

Photo looks good but beyond that its hard to say.  Funshow in a couple of weeks, hopefully one turns up there.  Price doesn't seem out of line, I'd guess actual price out the door a bit closer to $400 but that may be wishfull thinking.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#2]
For that kind of price I think I'd stick with the FN guns.  Even if the new CD's turn out to be good guns, I just don't want that name etched onto my pistols.  "Charles Daly" is synonymous with "crap" for too many people.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two Charles Daly 1911's and both are great guns for the money. I won't compare them to the Caspian that I shot last weekend (not mine, unfortunatly), but I trust my life with them. I have always wanted a Hi-Power and will not hesitate to try one of these.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

but I trust my life with them.

Your life not worth much to you, bud?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Give me a break. You a gun snob? I have fired hundreds of rounds through both CD's with nary a FTF. I pull the trigger, they go bang. I don't give a crap about what the inscription is on the side of the slide if it works. Go beat your brand snob drum elsewhere...
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Give me a break. You a gun snob?  Go beat your brand snob drum elsewhere...

I've shot Daly 1911s. Both jammed on me & their owner. The front sight flew off of the Govt model as well.

As for a "snob", yes. I avoid Lorcins, Jennings, Llamas, etc. etc.

Among some of the best guns one can buy are used S&Ws for $200. Price isn't everything as far as quality. Colt has proven that thru the years.

As for "beating it elsewhere", I was here long before you, bub.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:31:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I've heard good things about newer manufactured CD pistols.  LordTrader got one I think earlier this year, and it has worked great for him.

BobCole, how old were the ones you shot?  (as in, when were they manufactured).  If they were old, yeah, when QC sucked, they were probably lemons.  But companies improve, yanno.  Once bad doesn't mean always bad.  Of course, you're entitled to your tastes and opinions.

Myself, I've stuck with Springfield Armory, and out of the three 1911s I've had from them, all of them worked GREAT.  One had a burr on the guide rod that binded up going into battery, but that was a simple fix.

But if I had the money and the desire, I'd give one of those HPs a try.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:09:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Theres a fun show this weekend, hopefully someone will have one.

I'll give a report if I see one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#9]
OK children, quit fussin'. Shit, here in Phoenix at the gun shows you can get a REAL HiPower (I've seen both the made in USA and Belgian-made models) for about $350-$450. I recenty bought a Belgian made (in 1981, tracked the SN on Browning's website) chrome model from a pawnshop here for $450 and though it looks like a pimp gun, it's Browning accurate and I NEVER fail to have 3-4 people at ther range walk over to me and say "Nice gun". Get a REAL HiPower.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Geee, thanks for all the advice.

I can get a REAL high power here for about the same.

But I was not asking about a FN or Browning, I was asking about THIS high power.

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#11]
American Handgunner is going to do an indepth review. In the latest issues they only said it had a lot of sharp edges and needed a trigger job.

I'll stick with my Ted Yost HP.

Mike

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#12]
TTBOMK, it isn't exactly US made. From what I have heard it is the FEG parts assembled in the US. I'd rather get an FEG PJK 9HP for about half the price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top