Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2003 5:57:25 AM EDT
Is it available to civilians??
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#1]
No.

Ammo is considered AP(I belive) and mags hold 20 rounds.

Av.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:15:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Ammunition is now available to civilian buyers (CMMG offers it).

As a rule, FN does not sell the pistols to civilians, but a few have made it to the civilian market via dealer channels (minus the magazines). The prices have been extremely inflated due to the scarcity.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw one of these pistols on gunsamerica.com about a year ago the guy selling it wanted 2 grand and he said that was the reduced price O_o
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Are there any other firearms out there that are chambered for this round?  Or are there any scheduled to be now that the ammo is available to us?  How is the performance of this round?  I heard it wasn't that great and it's only real plus over handgun ammo in a subgun was that it could penetrate kevlar.  And are police officers really encountering that many armed suspects these days that are wearing body armor?  Sorry didn't mean to hi-jack.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As a rule, FN does not sell the pistols to civilians, but a few have made it to the civilian market via dealer channels (minus the magazines).

So what do you use for a magazine in that case?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#6]

So what do you use for a magazine in that case?

And that is the $64,000 question.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Feed a round into the chamber one round at a time?

Then hope the 94 AWB is not renewed?

I suppose it would be a "Hey look what I have!" item.

Av.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Exactly. Probably explains why there hasn't been tremendous interest in the few that've made it to the civilian market place or in getting more.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I read and Guns and Weapons for Law enforcement that a civilian 10 round Mag version of the pistol will be available soon.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Ya know if they do start selling these to civilians nones gonna want them cause the cost 2 freeking grand . Now if they were to put them out at about 700.00 they probably would sell a million of them .  Then they can start selling semi auto p90's ya that would be nice mmmmmm fn p90
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Feed a round into the chamber one round at a time?

Then hope the 94 AWB is not renewed?

Av.

I did just that a few years ago, admittedly on a much smaller (read: less $$$) scale.  I always try to find oddball guns that most have never fired and with which a good many "gun people" are unfamiliar.  A few years ago I picked up a Grendel P-30 pistol WITHOUT MAGAZINE at a gun show for a pittance.  For anyone unfamiliar, it was a semi-auto .22WMRF pistol fed by an uncommon, triple-stack, flush-fitting 30-round magazine - a magazine which is now hard to find and expensive when you find one.  I bought it fully aware of the difficulties associated with the absence of its magazine.  So I can certainly understand why an enthusiast (albeit one with more disposable income than I) might buy a magazineless Five-seveN in pure speculation...

edited to add:
BTW, at a gun show last year I came across a P-31 (the carbine version of the P-30 pistol which, coincidentally, used the same magazine) for what I considered a fair price.  Seeing the opportunity both to obtain another oddity & get a magazine in one fell swoop, I asked the dealer if it came with a magazine.  The dealer, who had just taken it in trade and seemed to know little or nothing about it, informed me that it came with the original box and THREE magazines, all of which were under the table.  I hurriedly paid his price for the complete package - about what I would have expected to pay for the magazines alone.  Both guns (and all three mags) work fine and are fun to shoot.  I love a story with a happy ending, don't you?

weaponhead - SORRY for the prolonged hijack!  This thread will now resume course - the captain has turned off the no-smoking sign & the flight attendants will be serving lunch soon...
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#12]
weaponhead - SORRY for the prolonged hijack!

No sweat! Interesting resposes from all. I too remember the P30 and thought it was a good concept piece when introduced.
My interest in the Five seveN springs from similar conceptual lines....hi-capacity and flat trajectory beyond normal handgun ranges...nice when you can't have a rifle
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:06:16 AM EDT
[#13]
FN is introducing a 10 round magazine this month.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
FN is introducing a 10 round magazine this month.

Does that meen the Five-seveN will be soon sold generally to civilians, since we also apparently have non-AP ammo?

grumble, FN's Five-seveN page was apparently updated 07/25/2001.

I really like this pistol for no practical reason.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Okay, I was apparently on the old page.

www.fnhusa.com/contents/hg_fiveseven.htm

Way down on the page:

This product is available to the following markets: MILITARY LAW ENFORCEMENT CIVILIAN

Okay. Perhaps I should place a phone call at 9AM Monday.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:02:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Please let us know what you find out....I don't see "civilian " listed on that page.... Thx, Tom
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:17:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Whats the P-31 look like?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:38:56 AM EDT
[#18]
this is what it looks like "somone make the link hot please heh "

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/1500/1548.htm
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:44:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Please let us know what you find out....I don't see "civilian " listed on that page.... Thx, Tom

Under "Operating Principle: Delayed Blowback". So shows my browser.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:15:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Whats the P-31 look like?

I don't have a way of posting pics here (yet), but here is a web address for a picture of one:

http://securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/1500/1548.htm
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Sorry - I didn't realize someone had already posted that address.  

FWIW, it is very light and surprisingly accurate.  The downside - it couldn't possibly look or feel any CHEAPER!  But I love mine...
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:17:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I just ran across a grendel carbine for sale on my daily gun hunt here it is if anyone cares O_o

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=9772979

Somone make it hot please ty :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top