Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2003 12:09:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:29:01 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a really good observation Wave. While you see a few souped up revolvers in competition shooting, you rarely, if ever see such a gun employed for self defense. I guess many people who choose revolvers do so for one or both of the following reasons; they believe in having a gun for self defense but don't worship them in detail as many of us do, or they simply like the simplicity and reliability that the revolver is known for. That may be part of the reason why you don't see any super high end revolvers. Or, maybe a gun such as the Smith and Wesson 686 or the Ruger GP100 is gun enough in the minds of most. These guns don't require the heavy customization to get them to run properly like some of the more complicated semi-auto's out of the box. I am sure there are a bunch of other reasons as well, but I suspect the 3 things I mentioned account for much of it.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:48:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:44:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Wave,

You are probably correct but I know nothing of European revolver designs. I am sure someone else here will have the answer though. Anyone have the scoop on these tricked out Euro revolvers?

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:11:42 AM EDT
[#4]
meteba! how abut a colt python?there priced high end thats for sure.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:52:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw a magazine article several months ago where you could buy some revolvers in the $3-4,000.00 price range. Can't remember who the maker was. Some of the guy at the shop I work at were picking on me to buy one. I have a tendency to buy some high dollar items.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:06:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:21:23 AM EDT
[#7]
There are plenty of high end revolvers out there but their primary focus is usually hunting and not defense and therefor are forgotten on boards like this.

Customs:
Hamilton Bowen
Linebaugh

Production (customs):
Freedom arms

I'm sure there are more that I've missed but these are some of the most renowned.  I've read of other smiths that service the revolvers of  the defense minded community, but I can't remember their names.

BTW: My godfather has a Freedom Arms in .45 Colt with an intercangable cylinder for .45 ACP. The workmanship is incredible.

Kent
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Years ago, us "Practical" (IPSC) shooting guys used to laugh at the "impractical" PPC shooters with their bull-barreled wheelguns, ribs, etc. These days, I look back and think what a laugh they are having when they see the "Practical" 21 shot Supers with optics, etc.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:34:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#10]
How about the Mateba Autorevolver!
First time i ever saw it was in the Japanes animation Ghost in the Shell and I wanted to know more about them.
its definitley odd as a revolver that slides
pretty bank though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top