Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 9:13:15 AM EDT
Are they decent guns? Or piece of crap?  Is $250 for a  6" 357 magnum in 95% condition a decent price?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 70's pistol pak and its a great shooter   interchangable barrels, the trigger on most is good to go out of the box if not its easily adjustable.  At $250 I'd be all over it unless its a dog
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#2]
As you're seeing, they seem to take a bit of a beating on the used market. Reason is, they're slow sellers. While decent guns, the only ones who seem to want them are their cult-followers, IMO.

Parts would be a concern to me, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my .22, but no one seems to want them anymore.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
... At $250 I'd be all over it unless its a dog

+1

The only one I've ever owned is my .44 deer revolver, but it's been great!

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Cult DW follower, checking in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#6]
They will way outlast a S&W but aren't popular because of their ugliness...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Former DW owner and competitive shooter here.

They were great in the day and you shouldn't be afraid of one in good condition. The parts could be a problem. I still regret letting mine go in a trade.

As for them being crap, I've seen some SW, Colt, HK, Ruger, that were crap. It depends on how the owner takes care of his stuff.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Dan Wesson 6" SS 357. It may not be the prettiest 357 I own, but it shoots as good as I do. $250 isn't a lot of money for a good revolver these days. Most Dan Wesson revolvers are good guns if they have been treated right.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
They will way outlast a S&W but aren't popular because of their ugliness...

And lack of resale value, and requirement to keep the barrel torqued, and lack of parts, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#10]
DW revolvers are being made again
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

And I've heard they've recently gone away again. Underfunded, undersold, etc. does not bode well for a struggling mfgr.

Perhaps someone from the Shot Show can tell us if they had a booth there?????????
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I've heard they've recently gone away again. Underfunded, undersold, etc. does not bode well for a struggling mfgr.

Perhaps someone from the Shot Show can tell us if they had a booth there?????????

CZ bought DW. It's on their web site.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#13]
IF not being a struggling firearm manufacturer is a criteria of a good firearm, what about Colt, Winchester, and Remington. All of them have seen some very hard times with massive layoffs, periods of low sales, and corporate takeovers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
IF not being a struggling firearm manufacturer is a criteria of a good firearm, what about Colt, Winchester, and Remington.

True, but none have actually closed their doors as DW has several times, no?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#15]
But DW is not, never has been, nor will be as large as any of the others, nor did DW ever get any significant gvt contracts. If you take it in terms of total revenue lost at any given time, DW is a piker compared to those guys. That doesn't mean DW is isn't a good handgun. Back in the late 70's/early 80's there wasn't much in the way of a stock revolver that would shoot with a DW in metallic shilloutte matches.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

That doesn't mean DW is isn't a good handgun. Back in the late 70's/early 80's there wasn't much in the way of a stock revolver that would shoot with a DW in metallic shilloutte matches.

Not disagreeing with any of that. However, that was then & this is now, no? I'm simply trying to keep some newbie from dropping hard-earned $$$ on a gun he may not be able to get parts for down the road, is all.

How many times have we bought a gun in years past & as we look back on it we think "if we knew then what we know now", eh????
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I look at it as

<How many times did I pass on a gun in the past and wish I hadn't!!!>

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top