Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 1:47:42 PM EDT
OK, I realize that most of you have ungodly amounts of training.  This isn't for you.  This is aimed at folks like me who like to shoot but never got around to getting some formal training.  That was me until a few weeks ago when I had a 2 hour training with John of Red's indoor range in Austin.  Nice guy.  Anyway, in two hours he tightened my groups substantially.  Mostly we worked on fundamentals: grip, stance, trigger control, etc.  Now, I can't wait to get some more.  I figure that I'll give it several more months of sinking in before I look to do another 2 hours.  

Today, I took my pump pellot pistol out in the backyard and shot at a phone book at 25 yards.  All of the  20 some odd shots hit in the 9 inch target with a few center shots.  I was pretty happy.  Can't wait to hit the range for real.  My sigs are hungry.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Good for you!
It's good to hear you found it valuable. I personally think that getting quality training is more important than owning a large number of guns or having the latest and greatest uber tactical whiz bang gadgets. Those gadgets are great once you've discovered that you actually need them for your purposes after doing some training.

Going and getting the training you got is the first step to becoming proficient with your pistol. Once you are comfortable with the basic operation of the gun, then you should consider getting more intensive training.

As a CCWer I carry a pistol all the time. Before I started taking training courses dedicated to fighting with the pistol I had no idea how important that training was. There's a lot to know, and there are a whole lot of skills to master.

With this first class you took you should be comfortable enough with your weapon to start learning how to fight with it. Real quality training can make the difference between triumph and tragedy. I hope you continue the learning process. It's very rewarding, fun, and can save a life.

To answer your question is difficult because everyone has different needs, and different financial situations/time restrictions, and different reasons for owning firearms. There is also an ego issue I suppose. Some people just don't understand the need for training. I'm sure that having had your eyes opened a bit after doing some real training you have come to see how valuable it is. Not everyone has had that oportunity. My first civilian training experience completely changed the way I looked at firearms, and that was after 4 years of being active duty Army.

In any case, don't stop your roll now! Get out and train some more. You'll never regret it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Getting training is like saying "Get some food if you wanna get healthy!!!"

Yeah, food is important, but the quality of food matters more than that you're eating.

There are some bad teachers out there, with shitty advice, or poor training skills.

Get a GOOD teacher, and start there. Ask around, ask people in the field of shooting or the discipline you're after for the best of their field and go for it, but don't assume someone who's cashing checks and giving classes knows everything, often they do not.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:53:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I took a handgun course a couple years ago . a couple hours at the desk and about an hour on the range .
 May not sound like much but it made a huge difference in my shooting skills , stance , grip etc .
A real confidence boost too .
Knowledge is power .

Pretty cool too .
I highy reccomend the... Modified Weaver Stance .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top