Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2001 4:54:25 PM EDT
Its awful slow in this forum-

Anyway Ms. CounterStrike,

She got her pistol permit today, just in case anyone cares.  Chennengo County NY.  She still needs to go see the judge for her interview, I have heard Chennengo 'might' allow a CCW, we'll see.

So Ms. CounterStrike has an appointment with Bob Serva from Dan Wesson Firearms tomorrow to see about getting her a custom 1911 in 9mm.  

She's pretty excited and I am too, it took a while for her to get comfortable with guns but it was worth it.  Already she is saving for the 2002 LEGP.  

Maybe we'll see some of you guys at the Syracuse show next week.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe you should post a pic of her and her permit.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#2]
1911 in 9mm
Y'all need a therapist!!
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
1911 in 9mm
Y'all need a therapist!!
cpermd

Well, shes a girl.  we want to start competing in IDPA type stuff so we figured she should get a caliber she is comfortable with.  Whats wrong with that?
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I see nothing wrong with it. 1911 is a fantastic design and a 9mm is cheap to shoot. So why not combine the 2? Actually I have been thinking of doing the same. Be something cool to add to the collection.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Waverunner (from NY) swears by his Dan Wesson .45... Slow forum? It was just born! Always thought about a 38 super myself...Glock missed that one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 12:49:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy a GLock in 9mm. Much nicer gun.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#7]
yea.....what va-gunnut said......
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#8]
1911 in 9mm is a nice platform...very friendly to the new shooter.  I plan to start my daughter on the same type of rig.  I told Momma we better go ahead and buy the gun...daughter is only 2 but you gotta plan ahead.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:01:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Since nobody else has said it, I will.  Browning High Power.  Sheesh.  The guy invented the 'handgun' as we know (and love) it.  Why not use one of his best designs?  The HP has 15rd capacity, and is as smooth as silk.  Oh yeah, it's 9mm too!
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, its like this.  I have a Glock and she likes that, but she likes my 1911 much better, personal preference I guess.  As far as the hi-power goes, I agree it would be a good solution but we have already decided to buy another gun from our friends at Dan Wesson.  My girlfriend is from the same little town as the factory.  As of right now DW makes revolvers and 1911s.

So since they are willing to build her a 9mm 1911 to her specs and offer alot of after the sale support we felt that was the way to go.  Obviously this situation isn't the same for everyone.

On a side note I and very interested in a Hi-power now, I kind of got bit by the Browning bug when I was reading alot about 1911s.

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Hi,
This is Miss Counterstrike.
Actually, I have had the opportunity to fire both a 40 s&w and a 45.  I have to say that though I did well with both in terms of hitting what I was aiming at, I would like to try something smaller (and cheaper) in anticipation of getting into competition shooting.  I dont want to have to worry about muzzle rise when I am in a hurry.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I prefer my HP-35 in 9mm to my .45 1911. Cheaper to shoot, larger capacity and easier to clean.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hi,
This is Miss Counterstrike.
Actually, I have had the opportunity to fire both a 40 s&w and a 45.  I have to say that though I did well with both in terms of hitting what I was aiming at, I would like to try something smaller (and cheaper) in anticipation of getting into competition shooting.  I dont want to have to worry about muzzle rise when I am in a hurry.

Welcome, as I said before go Glock! Or at least see if you can try one before you buy a pistol.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Hello to you VA-gunnut.
As to your advice on the glock, its already been done.  I've been thinking about this for a while and after testing a couple of different routes, I think the 1911 is the way I am going to go.
Thanks, though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Ice 9mm,
Personally, i think a 9mm 1911 isn`t a bad way to go. The 1911 and the Beretta 92 have one thing in common: They`re as close to being the safest handgun designs out there (IMHO). The 1911`s safeties are very reassuring to me. In fact I`m waiting on a new Colt 1991. I`m seriously considering a .22 LR conversion kit for most of my shooting with it. Whatever you like and shoot the best is the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Ice-9mm:
That sounds like a cool pistol you are going to end up with.  How are the mags, # of rounds and availability wise?  Would love to get one of those new Dan Wessons but no such luck out here on the west coast.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#18]
As far as 1911 in 9mm v. Hi-Power, that's a real toss up. Before I got my 9mm 1911, I would have scoffed at the idea. As much as I hate to admit it, it's a tremendous gun. The light caliber in the heavy platform makes a great combination. I bought the gun for my 16 yr old daughter, but I shoot it all the time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow!
Thanks for all the interest in this.
I am not really up to speed on the debate between the Hi Power vs 1911 or 1911's in any other caliber than .45, but I think I might have some more to say about at least one of those topics soon.  
I have to go see the Chenango Co. judge tomorrow morning and pick up my permit after which I will be heading over to the Dan Wesson shop to pick up my new 1911, if all goes well.  Hopefully, by tomorrow night I will have more to say about a 9mm 1911, at least from a girl's point of view.  
As for the specifics on my mags, Ratters, I am not sure, but I think they will be able to hold 10 rnds, and are readily available.
That's about all I can tell you all now, but I will be posting back as soon as I come back from the range.  I am really excited though, and I can hardly wait for tomorrow morning!
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I knew it!
Another chick gun.
My daughters and wife carry 1911 LW Commanders in 45.
They shoot steel 1911s in IDPA and IPSC.
One is not old enough for CCW so she has a Trust set up.Cost as much as her gun but???
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 4:16:56 AM EDT
[#21]
ms counterstrike, i think you should get the dw, and your reasons that you state are valid. what is good for me may not be for you. i own or have owned all of the guns that have been suggested to you, and all are great. but it does come down to personal choice and the choice you are making doesn't sound bad.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Any update ?
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, this thing is awesome.  She got her gun last thursday and already I'm jealous.  Now don't get me wrong, for self defense I would be much more confident with my 45, but at the range her gun is just so pleasant to shoot.  This month we are gonna go to our first IDPA type shoot, and already I can tell I am gonna wish I had a 9mm.  The recoil is so light on this platform that double tapping will be a breese.  Plus she ended up with a two tone, SS frame, (we were expecting all blued) so it is beautiful as well.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#24]
My wife has 3 9mm Glocks. 26, 19, & 17. She has shot all of mine and she still loves her Glocks the best. I like .40 and .45 too but I will tell you, I think a 9mm is quite effective felon repellent. I sure as heck dont want to get shot by one. Ice, congrats! If you like your gun and like shooting it then you will shoot it more. The more you shoot it the better you will get. You get the idea. I for one would not want to be the one who gets to test whether you and your 9mm 1911 are effective or not. I pity the fool.
Wait, no, I laugh at the fool.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yeah, this thing is awesome.  She got her gun last thursday and already I'm jealous.  Now don't get me wrong, for self defense I would be much more confident with my 45, but at the range her gun is just so pleasant to shoot.  This month we are gonna go to our first IDPA type shoot, and already I can tell I am gonna wish I had a 9mm.  The recoil is so light on this platform that double tapping will be a breese.  Plus she ended up with a two tone, SS frame, (we were expecting all blued) so it is beautiful as well.

Wow...  Ice-9mm, welcome to the world of the Best Handgun Design, by the BEST Handgun Designer!!!  CounterStrike, you have a great Lady there...

My wife is not quite into trying the Competiton side, but she does love to shoot.

Ice...  If you feel the need, you can use Wilson 38 Super mags in that 9mm.

One thing you might consider if you get further along, and decide to reload your own ammo...  You might consider lengthing the chamber on that 9x19 and making it a 9x23.

If you are unfamiliar with the 9x23, you can check out the following... http://www.burnscustom.com/9x23.html

The 9x23 provides very close to the same level of recoil/feel as the 9x19, but the performance is closer to the 357 Mag / 357 Sig, and you could also shoot 38 Super in the same chamber, and compete in the same class in IDPA.

Anyway, seeing how Dan Wesson is not building many 9's, you have a very special specimen.  I hope it works out well for you, but I have yet to hear many glowing reviews on them yet.

I am very happy that you went with your own feelings, and didn't listen to those who would try to convince you that Tactical Tupperware would be better...  I am sure that the 2 tone DW is a very beautiful gun, and one that will serve you well for many, many years.  You will find that 1911's like companionship, and you will soon need to add another to the collection.

Good Luck, & Enjoy
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Uhgggg...  New site....  Back to 1 post  :(

Ahhh well...  Guess I need to spend some time over here...

BTW, Ice-9mm, you should check out my home, the 1911 Forum...  http://www.1911forum.com, and share your review of the Wesson.  ;)

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I think a 9mm is quite effective felon repellent. I sure as heck dont want to get shot by one.

LOL I agree 100%

I whish I could get my wife to try mine. She lets me leave it here for her when I go away but won't come out and try it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top