Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 11:17:15 PM EDT
This isn't just another Pistol A vs. Pistol B thread, please see my reasoning before actually saying "get the ____". I want to buy my first handgun but have sort of a dilema.

I've narrowed it down to either the Glock 17 or a Beretta 92FS. I like the Glock better than the 92FS, no doubt about that, but after boot camp when I go to MCSF school i'll be issued an M9 and will use and carry that for the next 1.5 years. This is basically the only reason i'm even considering the 92FS because it's what i'll have to use in the Corps. Don't get me wrong, I still like the 92FS, just not as much as the 17.

If i'm a great shot with a Glock 17, would that translate into being a good shot with the 92FS/M9?

Should I buy the Glock 17 which is what I really like, or should I get the 92FS which is what i'll basically be using in the Corps and i'll be able to get well acquainted with it and show up to MCSF school shooting expert

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:23:02 PM EDT
I also like the Glock more than the 92FS. In this case however you might want to go ahead with the Beretta.

Or in true ARFCOM tradition may I say

GET BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:17:53 AM EDT
imo, get the one that feels the best to YOU

the Glock

dont worry about what you will be issued--the USMC will train you on the berretta anyways

so, why not learn both (and get both!)?

if you are a great shot w/ the G17, that wont neccessary translate into being a great shot w/ the 92, but just stick to the basics and you will be a great shot w/ just about anything--it just boils down to how well the gun fits you and how well you like the gun

G17
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:55:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2005 5:56:15 AM EDT by warlord]
At my now closed indoor shooting range, they had a rental G17 that has shoot a "honest-to-goodness" 500,000 rounds when it broke the slide and was replaced, and when the range closed, it has 750,000 rounds on the clock. The help would clean the gun only when the customer complains that it is jamming, and I've never seen the help clean it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:34:42 AM EDT
Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:34:20 AM EDT
like everyone here knows what mcsf is?????
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:51:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Accord:
This isn't just another Pistol A vs. Pistol B thread, please see my reasoning before actually saying "get the ____". I want to buy my first handgun but have sort of a dilema.

I've narrowed it down to either the Glock 17 or a Beretta 92FS. I like the Glock better than the 92FS, no doubt about that, but after boot camp when I go to MCSF school i'll be issued an M9 and will use and carry that for the next 1.5 years. This is basically the only reason i'm even considering the 92FS because it's what i'll have to use in the Corps. Don't get me wrong, I still like the 92FS, just not as much as the 17.

If i'm a great shot with a Glock 17, would that translate into being a good shot with the 92FS/M9?

Should I buy the Glock 17 which is what I really like, or should I get the 92FS which is what i'll basically be using in the Corps and i'll be able to get well acquainted with it and show up to MCSF school shooting expert

Chage your mind and get a SA XD!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:42:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By scooper:
like everyone here knows what mcsf is?????

Marine Corps Security Forces.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:48:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2005 1:49:09 PM EDT by Accord]

Originally Posted By WolfFox:

Chage your mind and get a SA XD!

I actually handled an SA XD at a gun show today and just didn't like the feel of it.

I also handled an M9, 92FS, and several different Glocks. I love the "single dot" sights on the M9 as opposed to the 92FS, but they were selling the M9's for $699 which is such a rip when i've seen other places with them in the mid-500's.

I also handled the Glock 17, 19, 22, 23, 34, 36, and others. The Glock 19 and 23 felt almost identical to me both in size and feel, they both fit my hands perfectly. Mabye i'll find a way to justify both a Beretta and a Glock by getting a Beretta M9 and a Glock 23 so i'll have both a 9mm and a .40 . The 23 is small enough that I could use it as my carry gun and I could also use it for competing in the IDPA.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:31:28 PM EDT
I thinknit is simple. Get the Glock 17. If you do not you will always want one anyway and you will not be happy till you get it. I do not think either pistol is better but the G17 is what you want so get it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:23:00 PM EDT
If you really want the Glock get it. Then get the Beretta. Then get a Sig. Then a 1911. Then get an HK, and so on and so on...
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:24:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:49:51 PM EDT
Does the military allow enlisted or officers to carry their own handguns, or are they obligated to use the issued ones?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:15:56 PM EDT
Logic would dictate to me I bought what I would be carrying. 92FS's have personality, Glocks don't, IMO.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:18:06 PM EDT
I'd go with the Berretta since that is what you'll be carrying. That will allow you to get more trigger time on the same platform than you'd be getting if you got the Glock. You can always get a the 17 at another time. I don't think they'll stop making them any time soon :)
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:36:33 PM EDT

You cant go wrong with either choice as both are fine defensive pistols. However if your plan is to carry it concealed off-duty you may want to consider something smaller and lighter.Big/heavy guns can get old especially if you'll be in a warm climate.

If it has to be one of the two the glk17 is about 12 oz. lighter than the 92fs

good luck , stay safe and thank you for serving
Top Top