Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 7:29:09 PM EDT
I am purchasing a S&W 642 snub nose revolver tomorrow. The dealer has them available with or without Crimson Trace grips. Is it worth another $180 for the lazer grips??? Do they really make a big differance in quick target aquisition?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#1]
presonally, no

i dont like lasers, just about useless imo

h/w, they will help for snap shots, and maybe lowlight; also would be ok on a backup gun as if the BG is close enough and you are "disabled" lasers will help

your call
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:28:22 AM EDT
[#2]
They can also be useful for shooting practice And dry firing.
You still need to shoot good/steady with the lasers.. they don't make-up for hand movement while the trigger is being pulled...BUT.. they can help show you how much your hand moves during dry fire to improve your trigger control.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:46:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a pair for my Kimber about 5 yrs. ago. I regreted it after about a year.  I just thought it was a bit overpriced.   However, it is usefull in finding out if you, or someone shooting the gun is anticipating the bullet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#4]
As you are probably aware, CT Grips come in two flavors.  With and with out a switch.  I have a set of the switched ones on a 340pd.  I purposely forget they are there.  And practice shooting it with out the laser switched on.  Most situations where you would need to draw a weapon and fire, you wouldn't have the time or inclination to think of turning on a switch.  However, there may also be times when you might have the time and or the inclination to turn the switch on.  For me it's there, just in case.
The grips are larger and more comfortable to shoot with, than the standard small grips.  But being larger, they take away some of the choices you might otherwise have in try to conceal the weapon.  The J frame snubbie, with standard grips fits in a front pants or shorts pocket better without the CT grips.  I carry mine in one of two ways.  Either in a Milt Sparks pocket holster, in a vest or jacket.  Or in a Milt Sparks VM2, at 4 or 5 o'clock.
The CT Grip without the switch, I have no experience with.  But with this model you can't turn off the laser.  So in some situations you may be indentifying or giving away your position.
I do practice at times with the laser turned on, as well.  But most of the time its off.
I am not an expert in anything, much less gun stuff.  These comments are an opinion only and what I have become comfortable with as far as my 340pd is concerned.  Any comments on my opinions are welcome. And I am not above changing my strategies when some new and or better ideas come along.  For your consideration.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top