Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/26/2002 4:39:15 AM EDT
I was wondering if there is such a beast as a "1911 drop-in conversion kit" to go from .45 ACP to .38 Super?

Something that would only require swapping out the barrel, bushing and mags.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 4:55:51 AM EDT
NO, NOT THAT I HAVE SEEN!

38 SUPER REQUIRES A RAMPED BARREL FOR CASE SUPPORT.

SO IF YOUR 1911 HAS A RAMPED BARREL YOU COULD DO THE CROSS OVER.{SIMPLY!}

MAIN SPRING SHOULD BE 18lbs
RECOIL SPRING 13lbs
REFIT EXTRACTOR/TUNE EJECTOR
PLUS WHAT YOU MENTIONED

RON KONTOWSKY
ACTIONS BY R.A.K. CUSTOM GUNSMITHING
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:51:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2002 9:10:07 AM EDT by SBR7_11]
Pre-assembled/fitted slide/barrel, and swap the ejector, and magazine. If your 45 has a std barrel, you CAN use a std 38 Super barrel (non-ramp)......BUT YOU CANNOT shoot IPSC type "MAJOR" loads through it... You can shoot std 38 Super loads. To shoot IPSC type loads, you are required by the rules to use a "supported chamber/--ramped barrel. You cannot use a non ramp barrel in a frame that is cut for ramp, rounds will jam.

Main spring will have no relative bearing to operation, it will help reduce trigger pull to go to a light spring, other than the std 21-22 lb spring. Recoil spring will vary requirement based on loads used, I use a 16 lb recoil in my 5" super, and a 9 lb recoil in my SV Comp/race gun.

This is my Colt "single" stack in 38 Super, 5" has Nowlin barrel, Comp'd upper has a Wilson Combat barrel/comp. Note the ramp at barrel.
I will post my SV Super later, did not have disc here to do it.

Link Posted: 9/27/2002 4:21:59 AM EDT
Ok, it's possible, nice to know. Now where can I get the pieces for the puzzle.

I would like to do the work myself and do not mind spending the time to do it right.

It seems my options are:

1. New slide/barrel assembly and ejector

2. New Std. barrel, extractor and ejector

Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 9:08:21 AM EDT
Your primary parts will be slide (9mm), barrel, extractor and ejector (9mm/38 Super), mags for Super, fire pin-preferably a "long" style, spring, and fire pin retainer, sights.

Go to www.shooterstore.com/acb/Directory.cfm?&DID=52 (Shooters Connection). I buy my stuff from Chuck, nice fella, very helpful. 800-387-4045.
Top Top