Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2002 4:39:15 AM EDT
I was wondering if there is such a beast as a "1911 drop-in conversion kit" to go from .45 ACP to .38 Super?

Something that would only require swapping out the barrel, bushing and mags.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
NO, NOT THAT I HAVE SEEN!

38 SUPER REQUIRES A RAMPED BARREL FOR CASE SUPPORT.

SO IF YOUR 1911 HAS A RAMPED BARREL YOU COULD DO THE CROSS OVER.{SIMPLY!}

MAIN SPRING SHOULD BE 18lbs
RECOIL SPRING 13lbs
REFIT EXTRACTOR/TUNE EJECTOR
PLUS WHAT YOU MENTIONED

RON KONTOWSKY
ACTIONS BY R.A.K. CUSTOM GUNSMITHING
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Pre-assembled/fitted slide/barrel, and swap the ejector, and magazine. If your 45 has a std barrel, you CAN use a std 38 Super barrel (non-ramp)......BUT YOU CANNOT  shoot IPSC type "MAJOR" loads through it... You can shoot std 38 Super loads. To shoot IPSC type loads, you are required by the rules to use a "supported chamber/--ramped barrel. You cannot use a non ramp barrel in a frame that is cut for ramp, rounds will jam.

Main spring will have no relative bearing to operation, it will help reduce trigger pull to go to a light spring, other than the std 21-22 lb spring.  Recoil spring will vary requirement based on loads used, I use a 16 lb recoil in my 5" super, and a 9 lb recoil in my SV Comp/race gun.

This is my Colt "single" stack in 38 Super, 5" has Nowlin barrel, Comp'd upper has a Wilson Combat barrel/comp. Note the ramp at barrel.
I will post my SV Super later, did not have disc here to do it.

Link Posted: 9/27/2002 4:21:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, it's possible, nice to know.  Now where can I get the pieces for the puzzle.

I would like to do the work myself and do not mind spending the time to do it right.  

It seems my options are:

1.  New slide/barrel assembly and ejector

2.  New Std. barrel, extractor and ejector

Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Your primary parts will be slide (9mm), barrel, extractor and ejector (9mm/38 Super), mags for Super, fire pin-preferably a "long" style, spring, and fire pin retainer, sights.

Go to www.shooterstore.com/acb/Directory.cfm?&DID=52 (Shooters Connection). I buy my stuff from Chuck, nice fella, very helpful. 800-387-4045.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top