Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2002 9:50:54 AM EDT
I am putting a metal trigger in my 1991A1 Combat Commander and need to know of a source with detail to remove and reinstall the trigger any help is very much appreciated
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#1]
OK, here we go.  I am going to be a bit more terse than usual.  If you need detail on a particular step let me know.

1. Fieldstrip gun.  Remove slide assembly and set it aside.  Lower hammer to uncocked position.

2. Remove grips.  Try to avoid removing grip stock bushings from frame.

3. Punch out mainspring housing retainer pin (bottommost pin on gun.)

4. Mainspring housing is removed downward.  

5. Cock hammer fully.  Move thumb safety to halfway between on and off.  You should be able to wiggle it out of the frame here.  Note safety plunger & spring; they may become airborne... take precautions.

6. Grip safety falls out, followed by sear spring.

7. Hammer pin comes out from same side as thumb safety.  Ditto the sear pin.

8. Hammer, sear, disconnector, and two safety levers fall out of frame.  

9. Remove magazine catch by depressing in about 1/8", at which point the screw (ok, it's not really a screw) on the opposite side can be turned counterclockwise about 90degrees.  Mag catch can now be removed out right side of gun.

10. Trigger slides out the back.  New trigger slides in... remember, rear of trigger bow slants downward.  It may be impossible to put it in upside down anyway, I forget.

11. Reinstall mag catch by reversing procedure.

12. Sear, disconnector and a safety lever go in next.  It helps to hold the gun horizontally (aka gansta style) so they don't fall out.  Attached pic shows relationship of these 3 parts.

13. Hammer and 2nd safety lever go in next.  Be sure hammer & sear have proper relationship to each other before proceeding.  Check pic if unsure.

14. Insert sear spring, make sure its 3 legs bear on proper surfaces.  (disconnector, hammer hook, and grip safety ??)

15. Reinsert grip safety and hold in place while reinserting thumb safety lever.  Remember spring and plunger assembly.  Flatbladed tiny screwdriver helps hold it in while inserting thumb safety.  Hammer should be at full cock position.  Tricky operation, need 3 hands.

16. Slide mainspring housing up into place, make sure sear spring stays put in its slot.  Also make sure hammer strut goes all the way into mainspring housing, it loves to catch on the edge.   Insert pin and tap home.  

17. Reinstall grips, you're done.

Ken Mays
Moderator, Maintenance & Cleaning Forum
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:35:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice job Ken! I was just going to tell him, same as the series '70 but for the two extra levers. Thank goodness it wasn't a Gold Cup, with the depressor plunger and spring, that would have kept ya busy!
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:Nice job Ken! I was just going to tell him, same as the series '70 but for the two extra levers. Thank goodness it wasn't a Gold Cup, with the depressor plunger and spring, that would have kept ya busy!

Thanks.... if he had a Gold Cup he woulda been on his own... I don't have one of those lying around.

Luckily there are plenty of photos in the Kuhnhausen book.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Guys if I had a gold cup i wouldn't be putting a metal trigger in it
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Guys if I had a gold cup i wouldn't be putting a metal trigger in it

Funny you should say that, I took mine off the Gold Cup to round off the grooves...like 5 or 6 knife blades digging into your finger during prolonged shooting. Glad it was stainless.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Nice job Ken! I was just going to tell him, same as the series '70 but for the two extra levers. Thank goodness it wasn't a Gold Cup, with the depressor plunger and spring, that would have kept ya busy!

Got a slick trick for ya...next time you want to pull that one out....
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Pullin' them out is easy, puttin' back is a Mo Fo. I use a toothpick as a slave pin. Whats the slick trick, B&G?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 3:46:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Pullin' them out is easy, puttin' back is a Mo Fo. I use a toothpick as a slave pin. Whats the slick trick, B&G?

Sounds to me like you got it....but I use a plastic pin that`s just a hair shorter than the sear.....for both diss and assembly...that way..it goes in as one piece...and the pin or the plastic pushes the other one out..........toothpick would be the same.......almost lost my little spring too many times.......
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:28:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I tried the Gold Cup with and without those parts and truthfully, I couldn't tell any change. And custom pistol builders dont even bother with them, or so I am told. Toothpick, plastic pin...same thing, only different.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:45:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok Gene and B&G what are you trying to say??  he he he.  Am I in over my head.  I have done lots of trigger work on my ruger rifle and pistols.  The toothpick does work wonders.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:03:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Small talk about the "extra" parts a Gold Cup contain. You must use a slave pin to assemble the micro-miniature parts before installing them into the gun, then the toothpick stub is displaced by the sear pin when it is pushed in. Your fine, 45srock, we just babble a lot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I tried the Gold Cup with and without those parts and truthfully, I couldn't tell any change. And custom pistol builders dont even bother with them, or so I am told. Toothpick, plastic pin...same thing, only different.

To be honest...I questioned this...but the idea of having a little tension seems good...in theory at least...supposed to make for a little crisper hammer cocking I wuold suppose.....who knows if colt even fits these parts..as it is said.....as long as it works for you/me...I guess were ok?.......
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Hmmm, I wonder if Kurt uses them? If'n he wasn't so busy, I'd ax him. He IS the .45 guy around these parts.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:45:35 AM EDT
[#14]
The g/c is original....except I polished the factory trigger on the buffing wheel....it`s better than it was new but a LITTLE heavy for me......but I decided to leave it.....I had bought a Videcki trigger....but it did`nt go...too much creep and could`nt get it out...(of course..numerous in & outs were NOT going to take place....I like the wilson light triggers...but did`nt get around to getting one.....yet.....the delta and officers are VERY nice with the wilson.....I just "tuned up" a series 70 that was recently acquired.....bought a MG hammer and sear...tried to use one of the triggers I have..since there is now a few around......and ended up with the plastic trigger that was oem in the officers that was basically new.....this one has the best trigger of all four! actually...it was`nt THAT bad when I got it...had some mileage on it though and well you know the rest.......Babbles? who babbles?...............
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top