Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/29/2002 4:35:33 PM EDT
got this months issue today. Once again i have problems with several of their reviews. According to them i must be the luckiest guy alive. All my pistols they rated as bad buys, including my new SA ultra compact.

Never mind it shoots better, feels better, and has better trigger than the glock30 they recommended over it. Guess myg30 going KB doesn't fit in their reviews. <yes i am still pissed!>

mike
rant off
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:52:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 12:27:04 AM EDT
I subscribe mostly for another viewpoint, some valid, some questionable. Does anyone remember the "Handgun Tests" of the '80s? They put the test gun on each page in actual size. They test 50 to 60 guns per issue and have no ads. I still have a few left, the last one is '91. Those, I really liked!
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:10:45 AM EDT
I like thier candidness though....but sometimes they must get lemons or are biased or something....anyway I stopped subscribing again....mainly because I looked around the house and them things are ALL OVER the place............(what I hate...is when they rate a taurus over a smith barreta or such similar nonsense...
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:04:04 AM EDT
what gets me is on several guns that i know are well made good peices they rate a don't buy. And on several POS guns they rate a BUY IT.

example.. very few SA 1911's got a good rating. Yet the Carbon 15 ar clone got one.

i think this will be my one and only year to subscribe.

mike
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 8:08:55 AM EDT
Yep, anothergene I remember Handgun Tests. They were kinda out there in some of their testing criteria, but I liked them a lot. Wish they had lasted.
I only subscribed to GunTests and their sister publication Gunsmithing for a year each. I was at conflict with their opinion too often and also at some of their suggested repairs and modifications that I felt were unsafe or just plain crappy "lick and a kiss" work.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 8:23:16 PM EDT
I have about 3 or 4 years' worth in a 3-ring binder around here someplace. I don't really pay much attention to their "buy - don't buy" rating, I just like reading someone's opinion on a particular gun.

It also helps to know how features do or don't work in actual use, something that can be hard to discern from a 10-minute gunshop inspection.

GT is a more objective source than any glossy advertiser-sponsored gun rag, but I let my subscription lapse a year or two ago.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 8:27:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Beachboy:
Yep, anothergene I remember Handgun Tests. They were kinda out there in some of their testing criteria, but I liked them a lot. Wish they had lasted.
I only subscribed to GunTests and their sister publication Gunsmithing for a year each. I was at conflict with their opinion too often and also at some of their suggested repairs and modifications that I felt were unsafe or just plain crappy "lick and a kiss" work.

I also subscribed to American Gunsmith's newsletter, and there were some good tricks in there, but it's too annoying to flip through them all to find one article you remember seeing. Plus, they always had too many articles about guns I didn't care anything about: "Troubleshooting slow last-shell loading on the JC Higgins Model 7 16-gauge Shotgun," for instance.

I can say without hesitation that my money was much better spent on all 4 volumes of Brownell's "Gunsmith Kinks" books.

Link Posted: 3/31/2002 4:46:45 AM EDT

I can say without hesitation that my money was much better spent on all 4 volumes of Brownell's "Gunsmith Kinks" books.

I agree 100%, along with Brownell's BenchTalk newsletters and the various GunDigest Books of firearm assembly and disassembly and exploded gun drawings.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 5:50:04 AM EDT
Agreed, I have no use for reams of useless information. But do maintain a small library, just in case.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 7:26:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Beachboy:

I agree 100%, along with Brownell's BenchTalk newsletters and the various GunDigest Books of firearm assembly and disassembly and exploded gun drawings.

You know, I have a copy of the NRA book on pistol disassembly but never used it. I find that I can usually get by with the exploded drawings in the Numrich Gun Parts catalog, which is worth its purchase price many times over just for all the drawings.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 8:18:34 AM EDT
Don't forget Jack First,Inc. Volumes I & II.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 8:34:57 AM EDT
i know your pissed, and i know what a glock 30 is, but what the hell is a "sa"
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 8:43:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 9:01:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 6:35:54 PM EDT
I cancelled my subscription and they actually gave me the balance of my money back without much hassle! That was the only thing that impressed me about Gun Tests Magazine.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:00:10 PM EDT
I let my subscription lapse after one year. They got way too opinionated for me over a sample of one firearm. When taking such a small sample one tiny defect meant that the gun was rated as a not buy rather than to look over the gun's features and design.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 4:01:57 PM EDT
I still like them. I read them just like a movie review. If I understand why they don't recommend a weapon, it is as good as me testing it myself.

I so much prefer it over other gun mags who tell me a Loricn is an "outstanding firearm which consistently extracts 90% of the time"
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:57:17 AM EDT
I think that you guys are over-reacting somewhat. I find Gun Test Magazines to be one of the Best Investments Ever. Just by using their ratings I've been able to show sellers why I can't pay their ridiculous prices for such junk as an HS2000, a Bulgarian Makarov and several S&W Revolvers. I bet it's saved me over three times the subscription cost.

I just hope they keep knocking all the ones that I want.
Top Top