Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 8:45:47 PM EDT
I found some directions online on how to remove the mag-saftey for hipowers (I have an M95 "Classic" Agentine copy), specifically saying to push the pin from the tapered side out of the frame. However, after some "ginger" tapping with a light, padded hammer over a padded block of wood, the pin didn't budge at all. What am I doing wrong? Do I need some sort of special press/vice to push out the pin, or am I just to not applying enough tapping to the pin to drive it out?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucker is in there tight.  Getting enough whack on it usually results in the punch slipping and scratching the frame.

I put the frame in a very sturdy vise.  The more solid the vise and jaws, the less it will absorb hammer energy.  I also put duct tape around the pin as an added safety measure in case of slippage.  I try to start the pin moving with a brass punch that I have that is very square.  I hit it very hard the first time.  Once you've done a few, you develop a touch for it.  Anyway, I whack it until I get it flush.  If I slip, I start all over with the tape.  Once the pin is flush, I swith to a smaller steel punch, and finish it off.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool, I think I'll try that. Also, will my HiPower work when the disconnect is removed? I though I heard somehwere that the FM HiPowers made today have gaurd against removing the saftey feature. I assume if that was true, I could just slap in an older drigger pack to remedy that, right?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:06:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I doubt there is any "guard" against removing the disconnect, even if there is once you replace it, it should be fine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:23:59 AM EDT
[#4]
The "guard" FN started using lately is staking the magazine disconnect pin at both ends. This swages the pin into the pin hole, and makes removal very difficult. I had to drill mine out with a carbide drill on a jig bore, but any sturdy drill press or a milling machine should do.
Not sure if Argentine FM factory does that.
LT
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I did not know that. Looks like I'm gonna have to drill the sucker out of my new FN
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That sucker is in there tight.  Getting enough whack on it usually results in the punch slipping and scratching the frame.

I put the frame in a very sturdy vise.  The more solid the vise and jaws, the less it will absorb hammer energy.  I also put duct tape around the pin as an added safety measure in case of slippage.  I try to start the pin moving with a brass punch that I have that is very square.  I hit it very hard the first time.  Once you've done a few, you develop a touch for it.  Anyway, I whack it until I get it flush.  If I slip, I start all over with the tape.  Once the pin is flush, I swith to a smaller steel punch, and finish it off.  Good luck!

Hmm, I was thinking about this (still at school, didn't get a chance to work on the HP yet), but how should I put the HP frame in the vice?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I use padded vise jaws, and I just put the frame in the vise horizontally, leaving the pin just above the jaws.  That way I can rest my punch on top of the jaws so that I can use it as sort of a guide.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, cool, I'll give it a try Saturday night.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#9]
lol, I give up. I tried a brass punch and all it did was chew thru the tape and scratch the paint a bit. The pin moved less than a mm and wouldn't go any further. I guess I'll leafe this to a smith whe nI get this puppy blued (BTW, how much does getting a pistol like a HiPower blued cost? Is it cheap (its just a "dip", right? or does it entail more costs?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:04:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Have you tried tapping the rotation pin out of the trigger, turning the mag disconnect 180 degrees and jiggling it out while the trigger is pulled?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top