Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 5/24/2002 6:05:14 AM EDT
I have decided that it is time for my HP to get a new finish. I will be adding a few new parts and giving it a nice tune-up. Norrell Moly Resin will be my choice finish. I have been carefully blending and removing sharp edges to give it a little "melted" look. I will be doing the frame and its parts an olive drab color. It will be sand blasted first to assure a nice matte look and hide small imperfections. The slide is also having the edges broken and sharp corners removed. Here I will be using a matte black finish. I will also be doing a Sig 228 with the same colors. I am sure this two tone fad will pass, but they look good now.
I have been quite pleased using this finish. I did about half a dozen guns over ten years ago and they all still look great. M1 carbine, Ruger Super Blackhawk, 380 Pony, Ruger Mk II, .45 Auto and 38 Off Duty.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 2:16:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2002 2:17:19 PM EDT by anothergene]
Its really rewarding when it all goes back together and looks good too. I doubt if two tone finishes will ever go out of style. I used to enjoy working with stainless guns, polishing, glass beading, sand blasting and even trying several ways to achieve a classy looking brushed finish. Also learning about how they come apart and go back together in the process. Not being familiar with that moly resin, where do you find it? I think I would update my FEG copy of the HP. Oh no! Another project!
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:05:36 AM EDT
Anothergene I found it at Norrell Arms. If you do a search you will find it sold on the web. It comes with a small air gun and can of air in your choice of colors. I am glad to hear that someone thinks the two tones will be popular for some time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 2:52:23 AM EDT
Thanks! On my list of things to do.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:06:35 PM EDT
Just finished doing a pistol slide with the moly resin and it is great. This one is flat black and looks perfect over the sand blasted slide.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:42:13 AM EDT
I've got a 9-page Word document that Norrell sent me... it contains price lists, application instructions, and troubleshooting. It's about a year old, but let me know if you want it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:19:11 PM EDT
Ken_mays may I get a copy of that? I would like to see what he recommends as an alternative to cans of compressed air for the spray gun. Also, if he has any tips and tricks. Thanks
Top Top